* Re: displaying Chinese radicals
@ 2011-10-14 23:55 Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 2011-10-14 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Lingyis <victor.kam@gmail.com> writes:
> cygwin xterm or rxvt does a good job when it comes to displaying Chinese
> characters, but it doesn't have fonts for all the Chinese radicals.  maybe
> half of them show up as "SQUARES".  the ones that do show up i can tell
> cygwin did some substitutions--i.e. dug up other fonts when current font
> doesn't have this glyph.

Since you're on Windows, try running a ssh daemon and log into your
Cygwin using PuTTY. (Or heck, properly secured telnet.)

In PuTTY you can easily configure the font and character encoding.
It does a good job with Asian characters.

I just confirmed that I can see radicals in PuTTY

(Method: go to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radical_%28Chinese_character%29,
and cut and paste random radicals from the table into my PuTTY window.
The ones I sampled all showed up fine. The font is just Courier,
on Windows XP. "Translation" is set to "UTF-8". This is in the
settings
under "Window".)

(But my putty is connected to a Linux system, not to Cygwin:
that's something for you to try. :)

* Re: displaying Chinese radicals
@ 2011-10-15  8:25 ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-10-15  8:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 15 October 2011 00:55, Kaz Kylheku wrote:

> Lingyis writes:
>>
>> cygwin xterm or rxvt does a good job when it comes to displaying Chinese
>> characters, but it doesn't have fonts for all the Chinese radicals.  maybe
>> half of them show up as "SQUARES".  the ones that do show up i can tell
>> cygwin did some substitutions--i.e. dug up other fonts when current font
>> doesn't have this glyph.
>
> Since you're on Windows, try running a ssh daemon and log into your
> Cygwin using PuTTY. (Or heck, properly secured telnet.)

Or just use mintty, a local Cygwin terminal that doesn't need an ssh
or telnet server and that can be installed through Cygwin's setup.exe.
It's based on PuTTY's terminal emulation and can also be configured to
use any fixed-width Windows font.

Andy

* Re: displaying Chinese radicals
@ 2011-10-15  8:34     ` Andy Koppe
From: Andy Koppe @ 2011-10-15  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 13 October 2011 22:17, Lingyis wrote:
> There is a so-called "last resort" font used in Mac (supposedly in Windows
> as well) so I suppose that's how Mac deals with them.
>
> If so, how do I make sure cygwin uses the "last resort font", i.e. where do
> I put/install that font?

Windows doesn't have a single last resort font, but each font can have
a list of fallback fonts, through the so-called font linking
mechanism. This can be configured in the registry. MSDN has the
details.

However, as far as I know, font linking doesn't take effect in the
Windows console (and hence the default Cygwin console), which is why
you'll see fewer glyphs being supported there than with the same font
in other applications.

Andy

* Re: displaying Chinese radicals
@ 2011-10-14 22:11 Kaz Kylheku
From: Kaz Kylheku @ 2011-10-14 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: wynfield; +Cc: cygwin

Wynfield writes:

> Linguis,
>  The "radicals" you speak of are only a component part of a Chinese character and not the character itself, just as the little dot above > a lower case 'I' is not an alphabet and doesn't have a code.

Oops!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Kangxi_radicals

   "The Kangxi radicals are encoded in the Unicode U+2F00–2FDF range."

Good job on being first to register "wynfield" at Gmail though! Pretty
sharp!

* Re: displaying Chinese radicals
@ 2011-10-13 21:17   ` Lingyis
From: Lingyis @ 2011-10-13 21:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks for the response.  I know this is a font issue, so let me paste what I
get on the Mac terminal:

1 一 yī
2 丨 gǔn
3 丶 zhǔ
4 丿 piě
5 乙 jué ⺃ ⺂ ⺄

These are the first 5 radicals (I have generated all 214 of them) and their
variants (to the right, they all have their unicode codepoints and utf8
mappings).  So for radical #5, 3 alternates do show up.  I couldn't get them
to show up on Windows console no matter how hard I try, so I turned to
cygwin.  Cygwin actually manages to display the 3rd of the alternates, which
means I'm moving in the right direction, but the first two show up as
squares.  The ones right next to the numbering show up fine in cygwin.

(In Windows console, if I switch to an Asian locale, most of the characters
show up, but not the radicals.  I cannot count on an Asian locale in any
case.)

There is a so-called "last resort" font used in Mac (supposedly in Windows
as well) so I suppose that's how Mac deals with them.

If so, how do I make sure cygwin uses the "last resort font", i.e. where do
I put/install that font?

Thank you in advance!

@ 2011-10-13 14:03 ` wynfield
From: wynfield @ 2011-10-13 14:03 UTC (permalink / raw)