From: Doug Henderson <djndnbvg@gmail.com>
To: cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: CRITICAL ls MEMORY LEAK
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2021 13:12:59 -0700	[thread overview]

On Sun, 21 Feb 2021 at 08:21, Satalink via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:

> I deal with a lot of very large files on a regular basis.  I've noticed that
> when I delve into these directories using in mintty and issue the command ls
> -l (or ls -color=auto),  a very large junk of memory is consumed.   The
> memory leak seems to be proportionate to the number and size of files within
> the containing folder.

This is likely due to your virus scanner. If those files contain
non-executable content, it is probably safe to disable virus scans for
those files.

Something that ls does is triggering the scan. That scan causes the
virus scanner to read the entire file. You should see extraordinary
GPU and disk activity for some time after the ls completes. There
might be processes or at least threads for each file being scanned.

Hopefully you will be able to identify a common folder in the path to
those files where it is safe to disable scanning for that folder and
all folders and files within that folder.

HTH
Doug

--
Doug Henderson, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - from gmail.com