From: Frank Fesevur <ffes@users.sourceforge.net>
To: "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: Cygwin alongside WSL
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 07:34:00 -0000	[thread overview]

> Does anybody have any concrete experience using Windows Subsystem for Linux
> (hence WSL) on the same machine, alongside Cygwin?

I'm using them both without much problems (on Creator Update, not on
Fall Creator Update yet). I use them only for the command line. As
mentioned the CMD is not the best, but it gets the job done. I am also
looking into combining mintty and wsl, which takes some effort.

Since the architecture is much different, wsl is much faster and has
all the good stuff from the official Ubuntu repositories. But Cygwin
is available on Win7 and on servers, and Cygwin has cygrunsrv, which
wsl both lacks.

And I use 'noacl' on my /cygdrive mounts. WSL lack something like that
as well. That is really a big thing to me. I don't want a bash-script
to mess up my file permissions, especially not on network drives where
permissions can be crucial. WSL cannot mount network drives, at least
in the version I'm using.

I don't see myself choosing sides any time soon. Cygwin is still my
favorite and most used.

Regards,
Frank