From: Fergus Daly <ugly.leper@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: sed seems to force UC filename on Mixed 8.3 filenames on FAT32
Date: Tue, 06 Mar 2018 14:57:00 -0000	[thread overview]

https://superuser.com/questions/1297658/folder-names-become-uppercase-when-syncing-to-fat32-drive

>> So if other users of this Win10 build start tripping on this same problem and reporting it, it may get looked at by MS.

The site you mention also asked about variations in hardware or
formatting mechanism. I find the identical behaviour in USB drives
(local) and USB sticks (removable). In the past I have used Hitachi
Microdrive to render Removable sticks Local, but can't find a version
of this driver upgrade for 64-bit. (Not one that works, anyway.
Several that don't.) Also identical behaviours whether the filesystem
is formatted FAT32 in Windows or formatted FAT32 in Linux.

So summarising:

SOME (but not ALL) file transactions on FAT32 result in

"Mixed case but no spaces 8.3" -> "ALL UPPER CASE 8.3"

Examples are sed and dos2unix (and family); but not nano, or joe. I
can't think of anything that I could reasonably test on a folder
rather than a file to see the effect on foldername.

Goodness knows how to upstream anything to MS.

Finally, there was another Windows update yesterday, 05-MAR-2018: to
version 1709 OS build 16299.251. Hopes of a return to correct
behaviours were immediately dashed. :o(

Fergus