Forgive me if this is a commonly reported bug, but I wasn't sure if other discussions on permissions issues were the same as this issue... $ c:\installs\cygwin\bin\patch.exe -p0 < multithread_utilities_trunk.diff (Stripping trailing CRs from patch.) patching file xxx/yyy/zzz/Test.java ... now attempt to use the files I just patched: $ mvn clean install ... [ERROR] error: error reading xxx\yyy\zzz\Test.java; xxx\yyy\zzz.java (Access is denied) I was able to reproduce this on another computer, as well. Windows 7, 64 bit, blah blah blah. When I right click on the files and go to properties -> security, somehow all users except administrators have no rights to the modified files. Thanks! -roger-