Hi Adam, It would be nice to contribute, although my knowledge is not high, I could review problems and try things. There are two things that are difficult for me. One is to search the Cygwin Archives, you could have a way to search for them directly on the Cygwin website. And another is to have powerful tools to look for problems and a FAQ where they can explain their use in detail (windows and linux tools). I think it's not all problems in Cygwin, many times they are conflicts with other software (antivirus is one). Specifically for this problem, I have investigated the problem and can be related to pipes and antivirus. Specifically while true do echo ABC | grep AAA done It makes the cpu of that antivirus go up. I have seen that the pipes make use of \??\pipe routes which I have seen at https://cygwin.com/cygwin-ug-net/using.html I have it configured to exclude c:\cygwin64 and perhaps those paths of those pipes are having effects in that other software. By now this... Regards El lun., 8 abr. 2024 21:48, Adam Dinwoodie escribió: > On Fri, 5 Apr 2024 at 16:19, J M via Cygwin wrote: > > > > Hi, > > > > I'm seeing that Cygwin is a bit slow, directly and after comparing to > > simple ubuntu virtual machines by example. > > > > Specifically: > > > > - Copy and paste texts in vim, I see clearly the slow in paste. > > - Using sed and/or grep that count approx. between 6x and 8x respect to > > virtual machine simple ubuntu. > > - In general multiple bash commands are slower. > > > > Can you analyze this? > > > > I'm use the last updated Windows 11 and a fresh Cygwin. > > This is expected. Cygwin runs as a compatibility layer between Windows > and the POSIX applications, and that compatibility layer has > significant performance overheads. Running in a virtual machine – > including WSL – has far fewer of those overheads, at the expense of > requiring a complete separate operating system, all the virtualisation > infrastructure, and poorer access to the Windows OS. > > There is clearly a trade-off here, and for a lot of folk who would > have used Cygwin in the past, WSL is going to be a better choice: > those disadvantages are much less relevant than they were five or ten > years ago. Obviously, if you have ideas for how to improve Cygwin > performance, the project is always looking for volunteers; there's > more information at https://cygwin.com/contrib.html. > > HTH > > Adam >