On Tue, Mar 19, 2024 at 9:04 AM Bill Stewart via Cygwin wrote: > > Can you please clarify the circumstances under which the RtlGetVersion > function "may not return the correct values"? > "Originally, using RtlGetVersion instead of GetVersionEx was supposed to fix the fact that GetVersionInfo returns the wrong kernel version if the executable has been built with an old manifest (or none at all), starting with Windows 8.1. Either this never really worked as desired and our testing was flawed, or this has been changed again with Windows 10, so that RtlGetVersion does the kernel faking twist as well. Since we're only reading the value in the first process in a process tree. the entire process tree is running with a wrong OS version information in that case. Fortunately, the (undocumented) RtlGetNtVersionNumbers function is not affected by this nonsense, so we simply override the OS version info fields with the correct values now." https://cygwin.com/git/?p=newlib-cygwin.git;a=commitdiff;h=48511f3d3847c35352d09cded56e25f0c1b22bc9 -Richard Campbell.