On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 8:52 AM Bill Stewart wrote: On Thu, Aug 24, 2023 at 7:01 AM Andrew Schulman wrote: > > > How can I find out whether the current Cygwin terminal has >> > Administrator rights? I want to safeguard our admin scripts with a >> > simple test and bail out with an error if someone wants to do admin >> > stuff (say: regtool) without admin privileges. >> >> >> https://superuser.com/questions/660191/how-to-check-if-cygwin-mintty-bash-is-run-as-administrator/874615#874615 >> > > This answer may be misleading. For example, when I log on using an account > that's a member of Administrators, my account is a member of the group, but > the Administrators group token is not enabled. For example, if I log on as > a member of the Administrators group and open a PowerShell window, I can > run the following, and it will output the local Administrators group (there > will be no output if the account is not a member of Administrators): > > PS C:\> whoami /groups /fo csv | ConvertFrom-Csv | Where-Object { $_.SID > -eq "S-1-5-32-544" } > > That is, while it is true that the process is a member of the > Administrators group, the group isn't enabled, so the process isn't > actually running with administrative permissions. In Windows-speak we would > say the process isn't "elevated" ("elevated" = "running with administrative > permissions"). In other words, logging on as a member of Administrators > doesn't mean that processes you start are elevated. > > IME, what is normally being asked for is whether the current process is > elevated (i.e., the group is both present and enabled). The usual Windows > API way to check this is the CheckTokenMembership() function: > > > https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/win32/api/securitybaseapi/nf-securitybaseapi-checktokenmembership > > In that reference: "The CheckTokenMembership function simplifies the > process of determining whether a SID is both present and enabled in an > access token." > > As an example, I wrote a little Windows program called 'elevate' that has > a '-t' option to test whether the current process is elevated: > > https://github.com/Bill-Stewart/elevate > To elaborate on the above, the cygwin 'id -G' command looks like it takes this into account and only outputs enabled group IDs. I should have checked this before I responded, of course. In other words, 'id -G' outputs a 544 in its list if the current process is elevated ("run as administrator"). The 544 won't be in there if the process is not elevated. I just tested from an elevated PowerShell console: PS C:\Windows\System32> ((id -G) -split ' ') -contains '544' True Sorry for any confusion. Bill