From: Ariel Burbaickij <ariel.burbaickij@gmail.com>
To: David Allsopp <david@tarides.com>
Cc: Jon Turney <jon.turney@dronecode.org.uk>,
Subject: Re: Debugging malloc crash in gdb
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2022 11:38:51 +0200	[thread overview]

Hello David,
congrats on your bug fixing but gdb is pretty open that it considers it as
its own bug while running its "inferior", somewhere here:

if (tp->control.may_range_step)
{
/* If we're resuming a thread with the PC out of the step
range, then we're doing some nested/finer run control
operation, like stepping the thread out of the dynamic
linker or the displaced stepping scratch pad. We
shouldn't have allowed a range step then. */
gdb_assert (pc_in_thread_step_range (pc, tp));
}

whatever the logic behind setting may_range_step might be, it is (or should
be) as much decoupled from all the probable bugs in allocators of all the
possible flavours.

So, it should be investigated from the side of gdb maintainers too, for
sure, as I see it.

Kind Regards
Ariel Burbaickij