* dumper does not dump
@ 2022-06-22  7:19 Ariel Burbaickij
From: Ariel Burbaickij @ 2022-06-22  7:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello cygwin group,
I am facing the following issue:
there is GTK application reproducibly "core dumping"  (in quotation marks
because so far there is no comfortable core file that we know and learnt to
love from native *NIX, of course) upon me selecting a certain menu entry.
Now, I went and enabled dumper (version 3.3.5) by means of setting CYGWIN
environment variable to

error_start=c:\cygwin64\bin\dump.cmd

with backslashes properly escaped and dump.cmd  set to:
c:\cygwin64\bin\dumper.exe -d -c %1 %2

I am on Windows 10 here.

Now, all I get for it is following:

*** starting debugger for pid 2876, tid 16112

after which it hangs indefinitely and nothing more happens.

Any ideas, suggestions how to move on here ?

Kind Regards

Ariel Burbaickij

* Re: dumper does not dump
@ 2022-06-22  8:38 ` Jon Turney
From: Jon Turney @ 2022-06-22  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 22/06/2022 08:19, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
> Hello cygwin group,
> I am facing the following issue:
> there is GTK application reproducibly "core dumping"  (in quotation marks
> because so far there is no comfortable core file that we know and learnt to
> love from native *NIX, of course) upon me selecting a certain menu entry.
> Now, I went and enabled dumper (version 3.3.5) by means of setting CYGWIN
> environment variable to
>
> error_start=c:\cygwin64\bin\dump.cmd
>
> with backslashes properly escaped and dump.cmd  set to:
> c:\cygwin64\bin\dumper.exe -d -c %1 %2

'-c' is not a valid option for dumper.

Can you point out what documentation mentions that so we can fix it!

It's awkward because a new terminal is started for dumper, which
disappears almost immediately, but if you add 'pause' at the end of your
.cmd file, you should see it.

But I think you are overcomplicating things here: 'export
CYGWIN=error_start=dumper' should work (or even 'error_start=gdb' if
you're just going to load the core dump into gdb afterwards...)

> I am on Windows 10 here.
>
> Now, all I get for it is following:
>
> *** starting debugger for pid 2876, tid 16112
>
> after which it hangs indefinitely and nothing more happens.

Cygwin is waiting for the debugger to attach, indefinitely since it
never happens here.

@ 2022-06-22  8:49   ` Ariel Burbaickij
From: Ariel Burbaickij @ 2022-06-22  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Can you point out what documentation mentions that so we can fix it!
The very source of it:
https://sourceware.org/legacy-ml/cygwin-patches/2000-q3/msg00041.html ;-).

OK, yes, I see that -c is not there anymore -- the things, they are
changing.  Let me try what you suggest and see where it brings me.

Kind Regards
Ariel Burbaickij

Have just followed what is there.