* variables, mostly private, not included into debug symbols list on -g3 -ggdb settings
@ 2022-06-29 22:38 Ariel Burbaickij
From: Ariel Burbaickij @ 2022-06-29 22:38 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello list,
any idea why private variables from  C++ source files are not included into
symbols list with -g3 and -ggdb compilation settings in gcc version 11.3.0
under Cygwin. Like that, roughly:

grep isInProgress *

<file_name>:    bool isInProgress;

$nm -Cal <file_name_of_executable>|grep isInProgress
$

So, watchpoints obviously do not work. Why is it like this ?

Kind Regards
Ariel Burbaickij

* Re: variables, mostly private, not included into debug symbols list on -g3 -ggdb settings
@ 2022-06-30  0:12 ` Duncan Roe
From: Duncan Roe @ 2022-06-30  0:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Ariel,

On Thu, Jun 30, 2022 at 12:38:49AM +0200, Ariel Burbaickij wrote:
> Hello list,
> any idea why private variables from  C++ source files are not included into
> symbols list with -g3 and -ggdb compilation settings in gcc version 11.3.0
> under Cygwin. Like that, roughly:
>
> grep isInProgress *
>
> <file_name>:    bool isInProgress;
>
> $nm -Cal <file_name_of_executable>|grep isInProgress
> $
>
> So, watchpoints obviously do not work. Why is it like this ?
>
> Kind Regards
> Ariel Burbaickij

I had a similar problem with -g3 -ggdb: macros were not recognised.

Using -g3 -gdwarf4 fixed that for me.

IIUC -ggdb is supposed to select the optimum debug format for gdb. It may be a
bug that it no longer does.

HTH,

Cheers ... Duncan.

* Re: variables, mostly private, not included into debug symbols list on -g3 -ggdb settings
@ 2022-06-30  0:47   ` Ariel Burbaickij
From: Ariel Burbaickij @ 2022-06-30  0:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello Duncan,
Interesting branch to take -- I have not checked it myself but there are
claims that DWARF-4 (has to be written this way too in options) is
Turing-Complete -- but no, still the same in terms of information available
-- which starts to look seriously strange.

Kind Regards
Ariel Burbaickij