* I can no longer access newlib-cygwin.git via http.
@ 2020-03-12 11:15 Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-03-12 11:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I am not sure where this problem should be reported to, however,
I can no longer access newlib-cygwin git repository via http.

Both
git clone http://sourceware.org/git/newlib-cygwin.git
and
git clone http://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git
fail with error:
fatal: repository 'http://sourceware.org/git/newlib-cygwin.git/' not found
and
fatal: repository 'http://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git/' not found

git access such as
git clone git://sourceware.org/git/newlib-cygwin.git
succeed, however, I am sometimes behind the http proxy where
git access is not allowed.

Is there any possibility that http access will be restored?

--
Takashi Yano <takashi.yano@nifty.ne.jp>

* Re: I can no longer access newlib-cygwin.git via http.
@ 2020-03-12 11:51 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2020-03-12 11:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 12 20:15, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> I am not sure where this problem should be reported to, however,
> I can no longer access newlib-cygwin git repository via http.
>
> Both
> git clone http://sourceware.org/git/newlib-cygwin.git
> and
> git clone http://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git
> fail with error:
> fatal: repository 'http://sourceware.org/git/newlib-cygwin.git/' not found
> and
> fatal: repository 'http://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git/' not found
>
> git access such as
> git clone git://sourceware.org/git/newlib-cygwin.git
> succeed, however, I am sometimes behind the http proxy where
> git access is not allowed.
>
> Is there any possibility that http access will be restored?

I don't think so, http is a no-no these days.  Just change over
to https, you can easily fix that in .git/config.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: I can no longer access newlib-cygwin.git via http.
@ 2020-03-12 12:29   ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-03-12 12:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 12:51:06 +0100
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Is there any possibility that http access will be restored?
>
> I don't think so, http is a no-no these days.  Just change over
> to https, you can easily fix that in .git/config.

https access also fails.
git clone https://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git
Cloning into 'newlib-cygwin'...
fatal: repository 'https://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git/' not found

Is there any mistake?

--

@ 2020-03-12 13:01     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2020-03-12 13:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mar 12 21:29, Takashi Yano via Cygwin wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 12:51:06 +0100
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > Is there any possibility that http access will be restored?
> >
> > I don't think so, http is a no-no these days.  Just change over
> > to https, you can easily fix that in .git/config.
>
> https access also fails.
> git clone https://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git
> Cloning into 'newlib-cygwin'...
> fatal: repository 'https://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git/' not found
>
> Is there any mistake?

I just asked overseers and it seems http access is work-in-progress
after the switch to the new sourceware server.  Only git:// or ssh:
access work for now.

However, we have a github mirror set up, so you can also just use
that for now:

  https://github.com/cygwin/cygwin

HTH,
Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen
Cygwin Maintainer

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: I can no longer access newlib-cygwin.git via http.
@ 2020-03-12 13:30       ` Takashi Yano
From: Takashi Yano @ 2020-03-12 13:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 14:01:50 +0100
Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> I just asked overseers and it seems http access is work-in-progress
> after the switch to the new sourceware server.  Only git:// or ssh:
> access work for now.
>
> However, we have a github mirror set up, so you can also just use
> that for now:
>
>   https://github.com/cygwin/cygwin

Thank you very much for contacting overseers.
I will use github for a while.

--

@ 2020-03-12 15:03     ` Stephen John Smoogen
From: Stephen John Smoogen @ 2020-03-12 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Takashi Yano; +Cc: cygwin

On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 at 10:22, Takashi Yano via Cygwin <cygwin@cygwin.com>
wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Mar 2020 12:51:06 +0100
> Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > > Is there any possibility that http access will be restored?
> >
> > I don't think so, http is a no-no these days.  Just change over
> > to https, you can easily fix that in .git/config.
>
> https access also fails.
> git clone https://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git
> Cloning into 'newlib-cygwin'...
> fatal: repository 'https://cygwin.com/git/newlib-cygwin.git/' not found
>
> Is there any mistake?

It turns out that this is due as part of a move on the server that Cygwin
and other Sourceware groups are on. It is being moved to a new datacenter
and hardware. They are in the process of getting various other services
going and it will take several days/weeks until everything is back. At the
moment they only have git available via git: protocol

I think there is a mirror on github of cygwin which you could use at this
time.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.