* How to fix a non-default package version?
@ 2012-03-23 22:19 Reuben Thomas
From: Reuben Thomas @ 2012-03-23 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to keep Perl 5.14 and lighttpd 1.4.18 installed on my
Cygwin system, but every time I run setup.exe Perl 5.10 and lighttpd
1.4.20 are automatically installed (I often forget to change the
versions back). Is there some way I can fix the versions I want? I
can't find anything on this in the setup.exe documentation or Cygwin
FAQ.

--
http://rrt.sc3d.org

* Re: How to fix a non-default package version?
@ 2012-03-23 23:37 ` Ryan Johnson
From: Ryan Johnson @ 2012-03-23 23:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 23/03/2012 6:19 PM, Reuben Thomas wrote:
> I would like to keep Perl 5.14 and lighttpd 1.4.18 installed on my
> Cygwin system, but every time I run setup.exe Perl 5.10 and lighttpd
> 1.4.20 are automatically installed (I often forget to change the
> versions back). Is there some way I can fix the versions I want? I
> can't find anything on this in the setup.exe documentation or Cygwin
> FAQ.
Well, the sledgehammer approach would be to set the radio button
top-right to 'keep', but then setup.exe won't offer to install
*anything* new automatically (you can still request specific upgrades on
top of that). Unfortunately, I don't know of anything more nuanced. In
your particular case, I'd just put that manually built lighttp first in
PATH and forget about the cygwin version until it gets updated. I've got
several packages like that, which alternate between home-brew and
official over the years -- usually when my need for new features
outstrips the update rate.

Ryan