From: Lawrence Bernardo <loric.bernardo@gmail.com>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Setting up a proper modelling environment in Cygwin
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 2020 11:37:46 +0900	[thread overview]

Dear Cygwin users and developers,

I am trying to run some models based on the ROMS ocean modeling system. And
although I mainly run such models on Linux supercomputing systems, I
sometimes use Cygwin to make test runs. However, whenever I install Cygwin
on a new PC, I often find that my set up on an older PC I had been using
doesn't work properly. After looking deeper into the issues, it seems that
proper compilation requires that the same fortran compiler (gfortran in
this case) be used to compile the necessary components.

And as far as I understand, these components would mainly be:
- zlib
- hdf5
- netcdf
- netcdf-fortran
- openmpi

As the gfortran compiler version number used for these different components
is not indicated whenever I run cygwin setup-x86_64.exe, I am left to guess
which version numbers for each to select. Of course, another option would
be to accept the defaults for some components, and then compile my own
version of say, netcdf, but this attempt almost always fails, and I'm not
sure if this is due to conflicts with the already existing cygwin setup.

Given the issues above, would anyone have any suggestions or
recommendations on how to best achieve the setup I would like to have? I
will greatly appreciate any help.

Best regards,
Lawrence