* Re: Has anyone collected a summary of cygwin vs Windows 7 64 bit outstanding issues?
@ 2012-05-23 19:13 Bill Ross
From: Bill Ross @ 2012-05-23 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> what does "rebase" mean?

http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall

* Re: Has anyone collected a summary of cygwin vs Windows 7 64 bit outstanding issues?
@ 2012-05-23 20:11 ` marco atzeri
From: marco atzeri @ 2012-05-23 20:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/23/2012 8:47 PM, Bill Ross wrote:
>> what does "rebase" mean?
>

> http://cygwin.wikia.com/wiki/Rebaseall

/usr/share/doc/rebase/README

* Re: Has anyone collected a summary of cygwin vs Windows 7 64 bit outstanding issues?
@ 2012-05-24 11:25   ` Larry W. Virden
From: Larry W. Virden @ 2012-05-24 11:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thank you. We have not, to date, seen any messages about forking
problems or dll loading problems. I presume, though, that other
behaviors might also indicate this rebase action is needed?

--
Tcl - The glue of a new generation.   http://wiki.tcl.tk/
Larry W. Virden

* Re: Has anyone collected a summary of cygwin vs Windows 7 64 bit outstanding issues?
@ 2012-05-26 21:35   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2012-05-26 21:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Wed, May 23, 2012 at 09:12:59PM +0200, marco atzeri wrote:
>On 5/23/2012 8:47 PM, Bill Ross wrote:
>>> what does "rebase" mean?
>>

>> http://cygwin.random.offsite.place.com/....
>>

>/usr/share/doc/rebase/README

Thanks Marco.

PLEASE don't point to off-site unofficial documentation when
we have local official documentation.

cgf

* Re: Has anyone collected a summary of cygwin vs Windows 7 64 bit outstanding issues?
@ 2012-05-23 18:47 ` Larry W. Virden
From: Larry W. Virden @ 2012-05-23 18:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bill Ross, cygwin

EM - what does "rebase" mean? I tried doing a man rebase but didn't
get a man page.

@ 2012-05-23 17:54 Bill Ross
From: Bill Ross @ 2012-05-23 17:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> The message: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable is
often associated with a need to rebase ... EM

Solved, thanks!

Bill

* Re: Has anyone collected a summary of cygwin vs Windows 7 64 bit outstanding issues?
@ 2012-05-23 17:42 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-05-23 17:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2012-05-23 17:19 Bill Ross
From: Bill Ross @ 2012-05-23 17:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/23/2012 9:24 AM, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> We are trying to make use of cygwin in several ways
on Windows 7
> 64-bit desktops.
>
> One of the first things we have noticed is that
there are a lot of
> processes sitting on the desktop that appear to be
related to cygwin
> that we didn't see previously on 32 bit XP.
>
> For instance, if we open a bash console, perform an
ssh to another
> machine, do some work, then close the window, the
bash and ssh still
> seem to be listed when we look at the windows 7 task
manager.

I have 64-bit Win7 with cygwin, and after a while this
sort of thing runs out of resources (errno 11) until I reboot (and then starts
up after a few ok runs, as just now):

$ find . -name "*.java" | while read i ; do
> echo %%%% $i >> x
> grep foob $i >> x
> done
375832787 [main] -bash 6020 fork: child -1 - forked
process died unexpectedly, retry 0, exit code -1073741819, errno 11
-bash: fork: retry: Resource temporarily unavailable
-bash: fork: Resource temporarily unavailable

And I think I have noticed lots of bash processes hanging
around, though not in this instance.

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1-WOW64 mybox 1.7.13(0.260/5/3) 2012-04-05
12:43 i686 Cygwin

Bill

* Re: Has anyone collected a summary of cygwin vs Windows 7 64 bit outstanding issues?
@ 2012-05-23 14:16 ` Eliot Moss
From: Eliot Moss @ 2012-05-23 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 5/23/2012 9:24 AM, Larry W. Virden wrote:
> We are trying to make use of cygwin in several ways on Windows 7
> 64-bit desktops.
>
> One of the first things we have noticed is that there are a lot of
> processes sitting on the desktop that appear to be related to cygwin
> that we didn't see previously on 32 bit XP.
>
> For instance, if we open a bash console, perform an ssh to another
> machine, do some work, then close the window, the bash and ssh still
> seem to be listed when we look at the windows 7 task manager.

I use cygwin all the time under Windows 7 64-bit and that does not
happen to me. Thus it would seem to be particular to your setup, or
maybe to the specific version (I've not updated for a few weeks) ...

Regards -- Eliot Moss

* Has anyone collected a summary of cygwin vs Windows 7 64 bit outstanding issues?
@ 2012-05-23 13:36 Larry W. Virden
From: Larry W. Virden @ 2012-05-23 13:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

We are trying to make use of cygwin in several ways on Windows 7
64-bit desktops.

One of the first things we have noticed is that there are a lot of
processes sitting on the desktop that appear to be related to cygwin
that we didn't see previously on 32 bit XP.

For instance, if we open a bash console, perform an ssh to another
machine, do some work, then close the window, the bash and ssh still
seem to be listed when we look at the windows 7 task manager.

So, not wanting to duplicate the fine efforts of those on this list
from the past few years. I googed for cygwin issues windows 7 64 bit,
but the 301,000 results were a bit overwhelming to contemplate reading
through to find unique issues that need to be addressed, and of course
may or may not reflect the state of the current distribution.

So before we start doing weeks of reading of threads, etc. I thought I
would ask whether someone has gathered this information together.

Thank you