* Odd interaction between tab and backspace
@ 2014-09-07  4:27 Mark Yagnatinsky
From: Mark Yagnatinsky @ 2014-09-07  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm new to this list, this is my first message; I subscribed less than
an hour ago.  Please be gentle if I break etiquette.

I've tried the following in mintty and in putty, and it happens in both:

First, launch cat or grep or similar.
Type a line with some tabs in it.
Try to backspace them away.

The tabs are erased one space at time, leading to ... You know what,
why don't I just show you:

$ cat
0       1       2       3       4       5       6     eh?
eh?

The above was produced by typing 0 through 9 separated by tabs, then
backspacing as much as possible, then typing 'eh?'  The screen still
shows 0 through 6 followed by eh?, but all cat got was the eh?!

Is it a bug, a feature, or something else?

Thanks so much!

P.S. This is my third attempt to send this message.  First I sent an
html email, then I forgot a subject.  Third time's a charm?

* Re: Odd interaction between tab and backspace
@ 2014-09-07 15:20 ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-09-07 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Yagnatinsky, cygwin

Greetings, Mark Yagnatinsky!

> I've tried the following in mintty and in putty, and it happens in both:

> First, launch cat or grep or similar.
> Type a line with some tabs in it.
> Try to backspace them away.

> The tabs are erased one space at time, leading to ... You know what,
> why don't I just show you:

> $ cat
> 0       1       2       3       4       5       6     eh?
> eh?

> The above was produced by typing 0 through 9 separated by tabs, then
> backspacing as much as possible, then typing 'eh?'  The screen still
> shows 0 through 6 followed by eh?, but all cat got was the eh?!

> Is it a bug, a feature, or something else?

I can only replicate it in mintty. In PuTTY 0.62 with putty-256color terminal
and Ubuntu 8.04 running at the other end, I can not repeat it.
Tabs get deleted all proper.

--
WBR,

Sorry for my terrible english...

* Re: Odd interaction between tab and backspace
@ 2014-09-07 16:00   ` Mark Yagnatinsky
From: Mark Yagnatinsky @ 2014-09-07 16:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I see nothing wrong with your English, but ... I'm running the same
version of PuTTY, and the problem persists.  Could it be that I'm
running it on the same computer, as described at
http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/cygwin-terminal-window.html?

@ 2014-09-07 18:20     ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-09-07 18:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Yagnatinsky, cygwin

Greetings, Mark Yagnatinsky!

>>> I've tried the following in mintty and in putty, and it happens in both:
>>
>>> First, launch cat or grep or similar.
>>> Type a line with some tabs in it.
>>> Try to backspace them away.
>>
>>> The tabs are erased one space at time, leading to ... You know what,
>>> why don't I just show you:
>>
>>> $ cat
>>> 0       1       2       3       4       5       6     eh?
>>> eh?
>>
>>> The above was produced by typing 0 through 9 separated by tabs, then
>>> backspacing as much as possible, then typing 'eh?'  The screen still
>>> shows 0 through 6 followed by eh?, but all cat got was the eh?!
>>
>>> Is it a bug, a feature, or something else?
>>
>> I can only replicate it in mintty. In PuTTY 0.62 with putty-256color terminal
>> and Ubuntu 8.04 running at the other end, I can not repeat it.
>> Tabs get deleted all proper.

> I'm running the same version of PuTTY, and the problem persists.  Could it be that I'm
> running it on the same computer, as described at
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/cygwin-terminal-window.html?

If by "running it on the same computer" you mean "connected to Cygwin SSH server
running on the same machine", then this could be explained by a bug in
terminal handling of Cygwin.
I don't have Cygwin SSH server running nearby, that I can connect to to test
if this is indeed the problem, hopefully someone here can do that easier than
me and will be kind enough to fill in the gaps in the report.

Also, please don't http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

--

@ 2014-09-07 18:31       ` Mark Yagnatinsky
From: Mark Yagnatinsky @ 2014-09-07 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Sorry, no quoting this time.  I don't have an ssh server either, I'm
using a weird telnet server described here:

@ 2014-09-07 19:20         ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-09-07 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Mark Yagnatinsky, cygwin

Greetings, Mark Yagnatinsky!

> Sorry, no quoting this time.  I don't have an ssh server either, I'm
> using a weird telnet server described here:
> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/cygwin-terminal-window.html

That's what mintty is. A PuTTY-based telnet (pty) client for Cygwin.

--

@ 2014-09-07 19:31           ` Mark Yagnatinsky
From: Mark Yagnatinsky @ 2014-09-07 19:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Oh, ok.

* Re: Odd interaction between tab and backspace
@ 2014-09-07 20:05           ` Andrey Repin
From: Andrey Repin @ 2014-09-07 20:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andrey Repin

Greetings, Andrey Repin!

> Greetings, Mark Yagnatinsky!

>> Sorry, no quoting this time.  I don't have an ssh server either, I'm
>> using a weird telnet server described here:
>> http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/wishlist/cygwin-terminal-window.html

> That's what mintty is. A PuTTY-based telnet (pty) client for Cygwin.
-telnet
+terminal

sorry... >.<

--