* RE: sshd on win2k [revisit]
@ 2001-05-03  0:45 Morrison, John
From: Morrison, John @ 2001-05-03  0:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Corinna Vinschen'

Apologies.

of this email.

* Re: sshd on win2k [revisit]
@ 2001-05-02  9:33 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-05-02  9:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-05-02  7:44 Morrison, John
From: Morrison, John @ 2001-05-02  7:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Michael Erdely'

Would you be kind enough to update the doc's (openssh-2.5.2p2.README) as to
where and how to use the -D switch?  Any instructions on getting SSH to run
(ie, step by step ensure user rights, type this for svrany etc) would be
much appreciated by everyone.

John.

mailto:cygwin@cygwin.com
Red Hat, Inc.

of this email.

* RE: sshd on win2k [revisit]
@ 2001-05-02  6:58       ` Michael Erdely
From: Michael Erdely @ 2001-05-02  6:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-05-02  6:22     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-05-02  6:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-04-30 13:07   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-04-30 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dmitrii Pasechnik; +Cc: cygwin

Dmitrii Pasechnik wrote:

> On 30 Apr 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:
> >
> >Its been a while since I checked on the availability of packages that
> >installs sshd on a win2k.
> >
> >Is it still amatter of tinkering or is there a package out that just
> >installs it, and allows win2k to run a sshd daemon?
> >
> it is still quite far from automatic.
> As you know, there are two separate problems there:
> 1) giving  the right permissions to the users;
> 2) installing sshd as a service.
>
> Regarding 2), I saw at least one GPL-ed program that happily
> installs and manages itself as a service, etc, namely WinVNC
> (see http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ )
> It most probably could be used as a code sample to build
> such a thing for sshd.

Corinna's version of inetd also does this.  I (actually not me, but I
was an accessory to the crime) stole that code for ipc-daemon and now IT
does this too.  The problem, IIRC, is that Corinna is trying to keep the
OpenSSH code as close to the official version as possible -- thus, most
changes are submitted right back to the openSSH people for official
inclusion.

But the strange hacks necessary for windows service installation are
meeting with, err, resistance.  So, either we maintain an official but
external patch, or we just continue status quo.

Is that about right, Corinna?

> Could be a nice project for a student, or for someone with a knowledge of
> Win32 registry programming...

--Chuck

* Re: sshd on win2k [revisit]
@ 2001-04-30 12:06 ` Dmitrii Pasechnik
From: Dmitrii Pasechnik @ 2001-04-30 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On 30 Apr 2001, Harry Putnam wrote:

>Its been a while since I checked on the availability of packages that
>installs sshd on a win2k.
>
>Is it still amatter of tinkering or is there a package out that just
>installs it, and allows win2k to run a sshd daemon?

it is still quite far from automatic.
As you know, there are two separate problems there:
1) giving  the right permissions to the users;
2) installing sshd as a service.

Regarding 2), I saw at least one GPL-ed program that happily
installs and manages itself as a service, etc, namely WinVNC
(see http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/ )
It most probably could be used as a code sample to build
such a thing for sshd.

Could be a nice project for a student, or for someone with a knowledge of
Win32 registry programming...

--
Dmitrii Pasechnik
e-mail: d.pasechnik@twi.tudelft.nl