Hi Ken, hi all Thanks for your suggestion! So here more details: (A) How to reproduce: (1)Start emacs as emacs -Q. (2)Execute the following lisp code in the scratch buffer: (progn (setq explicit-bash-args '("--noediting" "-i")) (setq shell-file-name "bash") (setenv "SHELL" "bash")) (3) Invoke a shell via M-x shell and you get: bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device bash: no job control in this shell $ (B) My environment: I'm running emacs with the following version string: GNU Emacs 23.4.1 (i386-mingw-nt6.1.7601) of 2012-02-05 on MARVIN Cygwin cygcheck output attached. How can I fix this? Many, many thanks for any pointers, Leo > Hi there > > I upgraded my Cygwin installation to Cygwin dll 1.7.11-1. Since then when I start Cygwin bash under emacs i get the following error message: > > bash: cannot set terminal process group (-1): Inappropriate ioctl for device > bash: no job control in this shell > > And indeed, I can't stop subprocesses in this shell, which is very inconvenient. > > BTW, I invoke bash in emacs with the arguments "--noediting -i". Both are needed. > > What can I do about the error message?