* B20: Bug? backslashes and stars within args of ls
@ 1999-03-03  0:34 Waldor Michael (K3/EMW4)
From: Waldor Michael (K3/EMW4) @ 1999-03-03  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

If one combines backslashes and stars within filenames as argument for ls,
the stars are NOT expanded if they occur next to a backslash:

(C:/temp/fdr is a directory containing some files.)

ok: ls c:/temp/fdr
ok: ls c:/temp/f*
ok: ls c:\\temp\\fdr
ok: ls c:\temp\fdr

not ok: ls c:\\temp\\f*
//i/programme/mm3/util/ls: c:\temp\f*: No such file or directory

not ok: ls c:\temp\f*
//i/programme/mm3/util/ls: c:tempf*: No such file or directory

ok: ls c:\\temp/f*

I'm running ls within cmd.exe from NT 4.0

I would like to call ls like

ls c:\temp/f*

i.e. with SINGLE backslash.

Maybe there is a environment variable to control cygwin's behaviour?

M. Waldor

* B20: Bug? backslashes and stars within args of ls
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Waldor Michael (K3/EMW4)
From: Waldor Michael (K3/EMW4) @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

If one combines backslashes and stars within filenames as argument for ls,
the stars are NOT expanded if they occur next to a backslash:

(C:/temp/fdr is a directory containing some files.)

ok: ls c:/temp/fdr
ok: ls c:/temp/f*
ok: ls c:\\temp\\fdr
ok: ls c:\temp\fdr

not ok: ls c:\\temp\\f*
//i/programme/mm3/util/ls: c:\temp\f*: No such file or directory

not ok: ls c:\temp\f*
//i/programme/mm3/util/ls: c:tempf*: No such file or directory

ok: ls c:\\temp/f*

I'm running ls within cmd.exe from NT 4.0

I would like to call ls like

ls c:\temp/f*

i.e. with SINGLE backslash.

Maybe there is a environment variable to control cygwin's behaviour?

M. Waldor

* Re: B20: Bug? backslashes and stars within args of ls
       [not found] ` < 19990303155126.14113.rocketmail@send1e.yahoomail.com >
@ 1999-03-31 19:45 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Waldor Michael (K3/EMW4); +Cc: cygwin users

---"Waldor Michael (K3/EMW4)" <Michael.Waldor@de.bosch.com> wrote:
8<
> not ok: ls c:\\temp\\f*
> //i/programme/mm3/util/ls: c:\temp\f*: No such file or directory
8<

Yep.  This is a bug.

8<
> not ok: ls c:\temp\f*
> //i/programme/mm3/util/ls: c:tempf*: No such file or directory
8<

This is the expected result.

8<
> I would like to call ls like
>
> ls c:\temp/f*
>
> i.e. with SINGLE backslash.
8<

Will never happen.  Actually the \ character is used for character
quoting and is therefore the reason you need two of them.  The first
one quotes the second one.

8<

> Maybe there is a environment variable to control cygwin's behaviour?

8<

Well there is but not for this problem.  Look at the FAQ for the
environment variable CYGWIN.

You could also do:

mount c:\\ /c

then you would be able to do:

ls /c/temp/f*

==
-                        \\||//

* Re: B20: Bug? backslashes and stars within args of ls
@ 1999-03-31 19:45     ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-31 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Waldor Michael K3/EMW4", cygwin users

On Wed, Mar 03, 1999 at 07:51:26AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>---"Waldor Michael (K3/EMW4)" <Michael.Waldor@de.bosch.com> wrote:
>8<
>> not ok: ls c:\\temp\\f*
>> //i/programme/mm3/util/ls: c:\temp\f*: No such file or directory
>8<
>
>Yep.  This is a bug.

Well, that's debatable.  cygwin is supposed to be emulating a UNIX
environment.  '\' is not a directory specifier in UNIX.  The glob code
in cygwin does not recognize it as such so it will not expand wildcards
correctly.

If we make '\' a directory specifier then we break the 'quoting' capabilities
of that character.  So, it's not a change that will be made lightly.

cgf

@ 1999-03-04  8:08   ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1999-03-04  8:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: Waldor Michael K3/EMW4", cygwin users