* RE: The developer's dilemma
@ 2002-02-26 16:46 Karin E. Hacker
From: Karin E. Hacker @ 2002-02-26 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin, mingw-users, dev-cpp-users

"This is because Microsoft introduced the concept of the CLR, or common
language runtime. What that means is two of the languages offered by
Microsoft, VB.Net and C#, both share the same runtime."
- <http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-842922.html>

Dose anyone else out there in the GCC universe feel the slightest twinge of
irritation at the fact that Microsoft is once again getting credit for
another stolen and repackaged concept?

----------

Live long and prosper,

Karin E. Hacker
====================
(band) emrys@shillelaghlaw.com <http://www.shillelaghlaw.com>
(retirement) karin@hackergrafix.com <http://www.hackergrafix.com>
(hobby) karin@users.sourceforge.net <http://www.sourceforge.net>
(work) khacker@computereng.com <http://www.computereng.com>
====================
Give a hobbit a ghoti and he eats for a day.
Give a hobbit a Ring and he eats for an Age.

* Re: [Mingw-users] RE: The developer's dilemma
@ 2002-02-27  6:24 ` jeff
From: jeff @ 2002-02-27  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Karin E. Hacker; +Cc: cygwin, mingw-users, dev-cpp-users

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Karin E. Hacker wrote:
> "This is because Microsoft introduced the concept of the CLR, or common
> language runtime. What that means is two of the languages offered by
> Microsoft, VB.Net and C#, both share the same runtime."
> - <http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1107-842922.html>
>
> Dose anyone else out there in the GCC universe feel the slightest twinge of
> irritation at the fact that Microsoft is once again getting credit for
> another stolen and repackaged concept?

Not quite sure what you mean.

What's novel about the CLR is that all languages utilizing the CLR share a
common object model.  Implement a class in one language, instances are
visible in another language: methods, properties and all.  It also allows
for classes to be derived in languages other from those in which the base
class is written.

GCC doesn't really have the same concept.  The GNU C++, Fortran, Ada and
Java runtimes are all disjoint.  The closest it comes is that gcj (GNU
Java) objects are visible to g++.  But the reverse is not true, so it is
an assymetric relationship.

Jeff

* Opening Apps
@ 2002-02-27  6:42   ` Gareth
From: Gareth @ 2002-02-27  6:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jeff, Karin E. Hacker; +Cc: cygwin, mingw-users, dev-cpp-users

This is my 1st post on the mailing list so don't shout at me if it all goes
wrong !!

I just want to know I can open a .html or .doc file etc from within my C
programme from an option screen where the user types for example H for help
which will then launch my help.htm page.

I want to do this in either C or C++ but can't find any code that allows me
to run other applications from options in my prog.

Thanx in advance.
Gaz.

* Re: [Mingw-users] Opening Apps
@ 2002-02-27  7:25     ` Joerg Bruehe
From: Joerg Bruehe @ 2002-02-27  7:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gareth; +Cc: cygwin, mingw-users, dev-cpp-users

Hi,

sorry about the crosspost, but I do not know the universe where
the question arose.

Gareth wrote:

> This is my 1st post on the mailing list so don't shout at me if it all goes
> wrong !!

You sent it to three lists, so probably no-one knows in which
"world" you program. As the answer to your question very much
depends on your environment, please select _one_ list only.

If you forgot that:
"Cygwin" tries to put a Unix-like world on top of Windows,
whereas "MinGW" makes the Windows libraries accessible to
   Unix-like compilers and tools,
about "dev-cpp" I have no knowledge.

Regards,
Joerg Bruehe

--
Joerg Bruehe, SQL Datenbanksysteme GmbH, Berlin, Germany
     (speaking only for himself)