From: Hashim Aziz <hashaziz@hotmail.com>
To: "cygwin@cygwin.com" <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Subject: Re: cat /proc/partitions shows only devices, not partitions
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2020 17:21:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Yes, this was what I expected you meant by elevated shell. I tried that earlier and got no luck (though I tried the link to the Cygwin terminal in my start menu
not a desktop shortcut), and I just tried again after attempting several permissions fixes but still no luck.

The permissions fixed I tried were:

- Right-clicking and deselecting Read-Only on the cygwin64 folder
- Resetting permissions with the CMD command: icacls c:\cygwin64 /reset /t /l /c
- Taking control of the Cygwin folder with the following command (itself run from an elevated window):

$ chown $USER /* -v
ownership of '/bin' retained as Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/cygdrive': Permission denied
failed to change ownership of '/cygdrive' from Hashim to Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/Cygwin.bat': Permission denied
failed to change ownership of '/Cygwin.bat' from Hashim to Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/Cygwin.ico': Permission denied
failed to change ownership of '/Cygwin.ico' from Hashim to Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/Cygwin-Terminal.ico': Permission denied
failed to change ownership of '/Cygwin-Terminal.ico' from Hashim to Hashim
ownership of '/dev' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/etc' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/home' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/lib' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/opt' retained as Hashim
chown: changing ownership of '/proc': Operation not permitted
failed to change ownership of '/proc' from Hashim to Hashim
ownership of '/sbin' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/srv' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/tmp' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/usr' retained as Hashim
ownership of '/var' retained as Hashim

Whether the above output is normal or not I'm unsure.