On 28/08/2020 09:33, Thomas Wolff wrote: > Am 27.08.2020 um 21:55 schrieb Brian Inglis: >> On 2020-08-27 10:55, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty via Cygwin wrote: >>> For a while I've noticed that if I run a long command (usually has to >>> wrap to next line down), that my Mintty session often becomes all >>> messed >>> up if I use the up arrow keys to try and run it again later. Has anyone >>> else experienced this? > This description is quite fuzzy. It could be that you resized the > window while a program was running, or that some background process > sends output to the screen asynchronously. In such cases, the shell > loses track of the cursor position and line editing fails. That's not > a terminal issue. > My apologies. I mean when a the command with its arguments are long enough to wrap around the width of the Mintty window. >>> Another, probably unrelated, observation is that if a command >>> produces a >>> lot of long lines that get wrapped, if I make the Mintty window wider, >>> the lines stay wrapped. This behaves much like other terminal emulators >>> I used in the past, including gnome-terminal. At some point, this was >>> fixed in gnome-terminal, so I wonder if that fix would be relevant >>> here too. > This was requested to mintty already > (https://github.com/mintty/mintty/issues/82) but it's not a > traditional terminal feature, so if some terminals have added it as an > enhancement, that's not a "fix". > Thomas > Good to know. >>> >>> Unfortunately I know precious little about how terminal emulation works >>> so I'm not likely to be able to provide a fix, but I'm interested to >>> see >>> if anyone else has experienced this or has found workarounds. It seems >>> to happen with both 32-bit and 64-bit Cygwin for me. >> Not a problem with long lines - often find myself editing a few lines >> down in a >> few hundred characters long after some iterations - I type without >> thought: >> >>     $ history | tail > ~/bin/script >>     $ vim + !$ >> >> Problem is when you type ahead too fast, hit modifier keys and/or >> special >> functions by mistake in the wrong place, and/or when something else >> is running >> in the background, or the system is loaded, and mintty does not grab >> the whole >> escape sequence to process; often just running reset will restore >> sanity. >> >> [For real fun with mintty, type: $ echo `/usr/bin/env /usr/bin/python` >> You can kill python from another terminal window or TaskMgr.] >> > > -- > Problem reports:      https://cygwin.com/problems.html > FAQ:                  https://cygwin.com/faq/ > Documentation:        https://cygwin.com/docs.html > Unsubscribe info:     https://cygwin.com/ml/#unsubscribe-simple