On 12/12/2020 18:44, Adam Dinwoodie wrote: > On Sat, 12 Dec 2020 at 17:27, Hamish McIntyre-Bhatty wrote: >> Do the points made here also apply to commercial but open-source use of >> Cygwin? >> >> For extra context, I have an application with bundles parts of Cygwin >> and libraries built against Cygwin. None of the source or binaries is >> modified. >> >> I know I at least have to state which packages are included in the >> bundle and provide links to the source for those, but I am not sure if >> it is required that I eg provide a downloadable compressed folder with >> complete source for everything. >> >> Can anyone give me some advice? The work everyone does for Cygwin is >> valuable and I certainly don't intend to claim any of it is mine. > The discussion in this thread so far, as best I can tell, amounts to > "you need to comply with the license agreements in the packages you > distribute". That is definitely the case for commercial open-source > projects as much as it is for anything else. > > In my opinion, the safest way to make sure you're compliant is to > provide all the source code for all the binaries you're distributing > in the same way you make those binaries available; if you're shipping > software on CD, ship the source code on the same CD; if you're > shipping software by providing a download link, provide a download > link nearby to the source code. In particular, it's not sufficient to > merely point to the Cygwin website or even Cygwin mirrors, as those > could disappear while you're still legally obliged to provide source > code for at least anything with a GPL/LGPL/&c license. > > That all being said, I am not a lawyer, and I have no particular > authority in the Cygwin project to assert what is and isn't > permissible. Particularly for any commercial use, I would want > professional legal advice on anything I wasn't confident about. > > HTH > > Adam Thanks, that's to conclusion I came to for GPL'd code as well, just wanted another opinion. Hamish