* RE: [Mingw-users] Cygwin  Full download in one big archive ?
@ 2002-12-05  6:46 Richard Campbell
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Richard Campbell @ 2002-12-05  6:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

>Impractical. As I said, almost 100% of people won't want 100% of packages.

It might be interesting to poll in some way, considering how often this
comes up.  I suspect more than "almost 0%" might want a 1-button,
overnight-style install.

>Frankly, this odd method only makes the slightest sense in your unusual
>situation (downloads constricted by number of files not file size).

I have every package selected, and as new packages appear I install
them.

>tetex ? (Document processing system)
>lilypond ? (Sheet music production)
>
>Both multi-megabyte packages for very specialized requirements.

Got them both.  Haven't used either yet, but if I want to they are
installed and up to date.

-Richard Campbell.

* RE: [Mingw-users] Cygwin  Full download in one big archive ?
@ 2002-12-05  6:57 Richard Campbell
From: Richard Campbell @ 2002-12-05  6:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>>> Impractical. As I said, almost 100% of people won't want 100% of
>>> packages.
>
>This doesn't require one big archive. There is nothing stopping anyone with
>a slow but flat rate connection from running setup, choosing everything,
and
>letting it get on with it.

No argument.  I was just addressing the
"100% of people not wanting 100% of packages" side.

-Richard Campbell.

* Re: [Mingw-users] Cygwin Full download in one big archive ?
@ 2002-12-03 18:46 Dockeen
From: Dockeen @ 2002-12-03 18:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I wonder if folks who ask this question fully realize the meaning of
"Minimal"
im MingW.  The binary for MingW is about 12 megabytes at last glance.
Cygwin,
the full package runs many 100's of Megabytes. So a single archive is
plainly
untenable.  The nature of Cygwin is flexible, so the setup allows you to
load
just what *you* need.  So, there is logic and reason in the way Cygwin does
things.  There is logic and reason in the way MingW does things.  There is
even logic and reason in the fact that those methods are very different.

Wayne

[parent not found: <20021203225751.DFCA.GNIPI@windows-sucks.com>]