* windows 98 message: the required cygxpm-nox4.dll not found
@ 2002-01-07 14:50 Ralph Buse
From: Ralph Buse @ 2002-01-07 14:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Dear people at cygnus mailing list,

I am not quite sure if I am right addressing my problem here (or better in an
xemacs forum..)

What I did:

After netinstalling cygnus and right afterwards the cygnus xemacs (via
netinstall, too) without any complaints from windows 98 (itself a fresh
installation) both finishing with "installation complete" I get two rather
obscure messages, which are, in fact...

...my Problems:

1: typing "xemacs" in the cygnus-shell (bash) returns "command not found",
even when I am in the directory usr/local/bin/i686.../ where there is a link
"xemacs" pointing to the xemacs20*.exe in the same directory.

2: starting xemacs from the desktop I get the error message "the required
cygxpm-nox4.dll was not found" (perhaps not literally on english systems, mine
is german).

Any hints?

Thanks a lot,

Ralph Buse, Goettingen, Germany

* Re: windows 98 message: the required cygxpm-nox4.dll not found
@ 2002-01-08  8:53 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2002-01-08  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Buse; +Cc: cygwin

 Ralph,

2002-01-08 17:30:55, du schriebst:

> Thanks for help. I hadn't set my path. And I simply don't have the DLL file.
> But: In which package is it? Is it in the xfree-distribution or in the normal

xpm-nox in the `normal' Cygwin netrelease.

> one? Special Feature in any of these? Or do you recommend the xemacs native
> windows installation? I couldn't find any pros or cons on your (or the
> xemacs-) site.

I run Xemacs based on Cygwin.

Gerrit
--
=^..^=

* Re: windows 98 message: the required cygxpm-nox4.dll not found
@ 2002-01-08  8:53 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-01-08  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robinow, David; +Cc: 'Ralph Buse', cygwin

Robinow, David wrote:

>  It's in the Graphics category of Cygwin setup.
>  NTemacs, Xemacs native, and Xemacs cygwin all have their advantages, most
> of which I can't remember off the top of my head.  The cygwin version will
> give you the best interaction with cygwin subprocesses.  If you plan to use
> emacs as an ide with gnu tools, I'd definitely recommend the cygwin version.

But interaction between cygwin XEmacs and native subprocesses has
problems (sun javac is particularly troublesome, I've heard).  This is
related to the CTRL-C problem that has been around forever -- but nobody
cared about it enough to fix it, until now.  It looks like Robert
Collins is taking some valuable time away from setup.exe to track this
down, so this deficiency of cygwin XEmacs may soon be a non-issue.
Thanks, Robert.

--Chuck

* RE: windows 98 message: the required cygxpm-nox4.dll not found
@ 2002-01-08  8:44 Robinow, David

Thanks for help. I hadn't set my path. And I simply don't have the DLL file.
But: In which package is it? Is it in the xfree-distribution or in the
normal
one? Special Feature in any of these? Or do you recommend the xemacs native
windows installation? I couldn't find any pros or cons on your (or the
xemacs-) site.

Ralph Buse

* Re: windows 98 message: the required cygxpm-nox4.dll not found
@ 2002-01-08  8:40 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2002-01-08  8:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Ralph Buse; +Cc: cygwin

Look here:

http://www.cygwin.com/packages/

and search for 'cygXpm-noX4.dll' -- that will tell you which package it
is in.

--Chuck

@ 2002-01-08  8:29 Ralph Buse
From: Ralph Buse @ 2002-01-08  8:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-01-07 15:10 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2002-01-07 15:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 I also have a link to /usr/local/bin/xemacs.  Is /usr/local/bin in your
path?
Please note that unless "." is in your path you can not normally run
programs in the current directory.
 Do you have /bin/cygXpm-noX4.dll ?
 If you do, then you have a path problem. How did you run it from the
desktop?
 If not you need to download the correct package using cygwin (not "cygnus")
setup.