* RE: Text editors under Cygnus
@ 2001-07-23 12:07 Glen Coakley
From: Glen Coakley @ 2001-07-23 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> Glen Coakley wrote:
>
> > If you would like a lighter version (no X code):
> >
> > http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
> > ( http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html )
> >
> > It doesn't run 'under' Cygnus but it does run on Windows
> and the FAQ lists
> > where to get a small lisp module that will teach it to
> understand Cygwin
> > mounts and paths.
>

> I don't want to get into a "my-emacs-is-better" flamewar --
> both NTEmacs
> and XEmacs are great packages.  However, I do want to clear up a
> misunderstanding:
>
> Despite the name "XEmacs", the packages built for windows and
> for cygwin
> do NOT require an Xserver.  In fact, they don't contain the X code at
> all.  (You *can* build an X-based XEmacs for cygwin, but the official
> package is not built that way).
>
> --Chuck

Thanks for correcting that. I made an assumption about what caused XEmacs to
load on my system. The 'lighter version' comments stands. XEmacs (OOTB)
loads much slower then Emacs. I will stop guessing as to why.

* RE: Text editors under Cygnus
@ 2001-07-24  3:43   ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-07-24  3:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 04:36 24-7-2001, Jonadab the Unsightly One wrote:
>..., but as far as that
>goes it's _possible_ to write code that will work
>in either C or Perl ...

<OFFTOPIC>

That one's easy.  ;-)

#define sub int

#ifdef i_am_perl
main();
#endif

sub main()
{
     printf("Hello, World!\n");
}

</OFFTOPIC>

--
     I always wondered about the meaning of life.   So I looked it
     up in the dictionary under "L" and there it was - the meaning

* RE: Text editors under Cygnus
@ 2001-07-23 19:37 ` Jonadab the Unsightly One
From: Jonadab the Unsightly One @ 2001-07-23 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

# The X in Xemacs does not refer to the X window system.

It did originally.  But these days both Emacs and XEmacs
can be compiled and used either with or without X.  One
vs the other is a tradeoff:  XEmacs version releases
are a step ahead of the FSF's Emacs releases, but
more elisp packages work in Emacs than in XEmacs.

What is unfortunate is that the two are fairly
mutually incompatible; it is _possible_ to write
lisp that will work in either, but as far as that
goes it's _possible_ to write code that will work
in either C or Perl -- but it's an exercise in
adaptive engineering.

I use Emacs because it's what I started using
when I wasn't clear on the differences, and now
I have megabytes of lisp I don't want to port.

--
Your font seems to be:    proportional     fixed
                                             ^

(Fontmeter only accurate for about 90% of fonts.)

* Re: Text editors under Cygnus
@ 2001-07-23 16:28       ` Michael Schaap
From: Michael Schaap @ 2001-07-23 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

At 20:22 23-7-2001, Charles Wilson wrote:
>That little discrepancy is rather disconcerting, even to a long-time
>XEmacs user like me.  The older cygwin-xemacs-21.1.13 package works
>'cygwin-style' both in the (custom built) file-open dialog and in the
>minibuffer.  I don't know why the change was made in 21.4.x -- probably an
>mswin-related improvement that bled over to cygwin.  It didn't bother me
>enough to complain (or code) about it.

Wouldn't it be cool if there were a Cygwin library (cygctl.dll) which was
API compatible with the Windows file dialogs, so you could just compile and
link your apps (like XEmacs) against it and get nice Windows-style dialogs
with Cygwin-style paths?

But I should shut up, since I have no intention to write this myself.  :-)

  - Michael

(Now a Cygwin version of gvim (not an X version), that would really be
useful.  Perhaps, if I ever have some time, and 6.0 is out, I will try to
do a port.)

--

@ 2001-07-23 12:24       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-07-23 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Mon, Jul 23, 2001 at 02:22:54PM -0400, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:
>

>> And I'll just follow-up on Chuck's comment by pointing out that XEmacs,
>> because it can be built on Cygwin, automatically understands all the
>> niceties of the Cygwin environment (like mounts, symlinks, etc) by
>> default.
>
>Bad Larry.  No cookie.  I said no emacs partisanship flamewar. <g>
>
>However, you DO have to be honest.  While in cygwin-xemacs-21.4.3, the
>^x-^f file open command (where you type in the name of the file to open
>in the minibuffer) works with cygwin-style paths, the 'Open' toolbar
>button does NOT.  The toolbar button activates the windows DLL-based
>'File Open' dialog, even in the cygwin build.  Since that dialog comes
>from the windows system libs (comctl.dll?  I dunno) it does not and
>cannot understand cygwin-style paths.
>
>That little discrepancy is rather disconcerting, even to a long-time
>XEmacs user like me.  The older cygwin-xemacs-21.1.13 package works
>'cygwin-style' both in the (custom built) file-open dialog and in the
>minibuffer.  I don't know why the change was made in 21.4.x -- probably
>an mswin-related improvement that bled over to cygwin.  It didn't bother
>me enough to complain (or code) about it.

That's interesting.  I believe that Insight has/had/will-have/may-have
a similar problem.

cgf

* Re: Text editors under Cygnus
@ 2001-07-23 11:23     ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-07-23 11:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
  Cc: Glen Coakley, 'dominic@herard.net', cygwin

@ 2001-07-23 11:09   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-07-23 11:09 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Glen Coakley; +Cc: 'dominic@herard.net', cygwin

At 01:03 PM 7/23/2001, Charles Wilson wrote:
>Glen Coakley wrote:
>
>>If you would like a lighter version (no X code):
>> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
>>( http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html )
>>It doesn't run 'under' Cygnus but it does run on Windows and the FAQ lists
>>where to get a small lisp module that will teach it to understand Cygwin
>>mounts and paths.
>

>I don't want to get into a "my-emacs-is-better" flamewar -- both NTEmacs and XEmacs are great packages.  However, I do want to clear up a misunderstanding:
>
>Despite the name "XEmacs", the packages built for windows and for cygwin do NOT require an Xserver.  In fact, they don't contain the X code at all.  (You *can* build an X-based XEmacs for cygwin, but the official package is not built that way).

And I'll just follow-up on Chuck's comment by pointing out that XEmacs,
because it can be built on Cygwin, automatically understands all the
niceties of the Cygwin environment (like mounts, symlinks, etc) by
default.

Larry

* RE: Text editors under Cygnus
@ 2001-07-23 10:44 Robinow, David
From: Robinow, David @ 2001-07-23 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 You're somewhat confused.  The X in Xemacs does not refer to the X window
system.
 It is a configuration option whether to include X support and I would guess
that most people do not include X when building under Cygwin.
 I have both.  emacs-20.7/bin/emacs.exe is 3769006 bytes and the stripped
xemacs-21.4.3.exe is 4150272 bytes, hardly enough difference to prefer one
over the other.
 However, there are packages which only run on one or the other.  Pick your
favorite.

@ 2001-07-23 10:04 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-07-23 10:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Glen Coakley; +Cc: 'dominic@herard.net', cygwin

@ 2001-07-23  8:35 Glen Coakley
From: Glen Coakley @ 2001-07-23  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'dominic@herard.net', cygwin

If you would like a lighter version (no X code):

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/ntemacs.html
( http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html )

It doesn't run 'under' Cygnus but it does run on Windows and the FAQ lists
where to get a small lisp module that will teach it to understand Cygwin
mounts and paths.

________________________________
Glen Coakley, Sr. Software Engineer
MQSoftware Inc., (763) 543-4845
"Tinkero ergo sum." -- Chuck Murcko

@ 2001-07-22  9:39 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2001-07-22  9:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: dominic; +Cc: cygwin

dominic@herard.net wrote:

> Dear Sirs,
>      Where can I obtain a full-featured text editor (like Emacs) that runs under Cygnus?
>                               Sincerely,

http://www.xemacs.org/

They have a setup.exe-based installed that can install a cygwin version
of XEmacs-21.4.3 along with all desired lisp packages.  Very nice.

--Chuck

* Text editors under Cygnus
@ 2001-07-22  5:14 dominic
From: dominic @ 2001-07-22  5:14 UTC (permalink / raw)