* RE: OT: sorry for  bugging you .. (RE: time to download)
@ 2001-02-13  6:55 Jean Jordaan
From: Jean Jordaan @ 2001-02-13  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Earnie Boyd'

Hi Earnie

Thanks for the supportive answer. I fully agree with your points.

> You can remove the cygintl.dll dependency by doing a -static
> build.

Thanks! And thanks for the docs pointer ..

cheers,
--
Jean Jordaan   --    technical writer    --    Mosaic Software

* Re: OT: sorry for  bugging you .. (RE: time to download)
@ 2001-02-13  8:49 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-02-13  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

On Tue, Feb 13, 2001 at 08:50:24AM +0200, Jean Jordaan wrote:
>Hi cgf
>
>> >Oh... and downloading the sitecopy source, running "./configure", then
>> >running "make", then running "make install" worked fine.
>>
>> And, additionally, Jean,
>
>How do you mean, "And, additionally"? As was clear from my original
>post, which you quoted with your reply, I have successfully compiled
>sitecopy and am using it happily.

It was also clear that something "touched a nerve" and that you were
"seconding a motion" on "someone" establishing a "minimal user" and
"minimal developer" platform.

>> if you have other needs then think about
>> CONTRIBUTING to the project rather than just sucking up
>
>Check out my sig. I'm a mere tech writer. I'm not a software engineer.
>Cygwin and open source tools had no presence at Mosaic before I
>introduced them. As far I can see, this is also contributing to the
>project. Am I mistaken? Does the Cygwin project not exist to enable
>many people, including non-programmers, to use these excellent tools?

Contributing to a project does not necessarily mean doing low-level
programming.  If you are a technical writer then, oh I don't know,
off the top of my head, you could, hmm...  contribute some technical
documentation to the project?

>cgf, please don't play whack-a-mole with everyone who doesn't include
>patches with each post. All I did was to try and give some feedback
>on how Cygwin's being used here. I didn't demand that anyone do
>anything. What I meant to convey was that I didn't expect anyone to do
>anything that wasn't a priority for them.

I was primarily reacting to two things 1) The notion that something had
"touched a nerve" and 2) the fact that you thought there was a motion
to be seconded.  I am somewhat weary of people who think that they can
vote for nifty things to be added to the project without even bothering
to contribute anything whatsoever except opinions or sad commentaries on
how things don't work.

So, if you're going to read this mailing list, you're going to see me
suggesting that people could contribute.  And, you're also going to
see the usual responses "I would, but I'm too busy" and "I would, but
I am just a newbie."  Both of these excuses are apparently permanent
conditions.

>This list is immensely helpful, and various people have succintly
>told me to just put cygwin1.dll in the path, and all will be fine.
>(Sinan Unur, on the sitecopy list, noted that cygintl.dll is also
>necessary if sitecopy was compiled with NLS.) A couple of other
>people just flamed me (actually, Michael Erdely did both :) Thanks
>for the pointer, Michael). Someone, give cgf a bunch of red roses to
>cheer him up! ;o)

I don't recall seeing any flames here.  My response was not a flame.
If you think it was then you probably need a lot more cooking on
the low-level heat in this mailing list before you venture out into
the wider volcanic environs of usenet.

cgf

* Re: OT: sorry for  bugging you .. (RE: time to download)
@ 2001-02-13  6:39 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-13  6:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Jordaan; +Cc: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

Jean Jordaan wrote:

> Hi cgf
>
> > >Oh... and downloading the sitecopy source, running "./configure", then
> > >running "make", then running "make install" worked fine.
> >
> > And, additionally, Jean,
>
> How do you mean, "And, additionally"? As was clear from my original
> post, which you quoted with your reply, I have successfully compiled
> sitecopy and am using it happily.
>
> > if you have other needs then think about
> > CONTRIBUTING to the project rather than just sucking up
>
> Check out my sig. I'm a mere tech writer. I'm not a software engineer.
> Cygwin and open source tools had no presence at Mosaic before I
> introduced them. As far I can see, this is also contributing to the
> project. Am I mistaken? Does the Cygwin project not exist to enable
> many people, including non-programmers, to use these excellent tools?

No, you're not mistaken.  Yes, Cygwin is a project whose community
incorporates many different cliques of peoples.  And, yes, you are
contributing to the project just by creating a presence for the
product.  The tools are excellent though because some of those cliques
keep adding to the set of tools.  Our set of tools have recently become
sufficiently large that we've begun to see a number of similar posts
concerning "What am I missing" by the less non-technical cliques.  The
common response to such has been "since you don't know then install
all".  However, I for one believe it's time to start helping out those
cliques that don't know to figure out what's missing until we can modify
setup to select a minimal installation.

> cgf, please don't play whack-a-mole with everyone who doesn't include
> patches with each post. All I did was to try and give some feedback
> on how Cygwin's being used here. I didn't demand that anyone do
> anything. What I meant to convey was that I didn't expect anyone to do
> anything that wasn't a priority for them.

LOL

> This list is immensely helpful, and various people have succintly
> told me to just put cygwin1.dll in the path, and all will be fine.
> (Sinan Unur, on the sitecopy list, noted that cygintl.dll is also
> necessary if sitecopy was compiled with NLS.) A couple of other
> people just flamed me (actually, Michael Erdely did both :) Thanks
> for the pointer, Michael). Someone, give cgf a bunch of red roses to
> cheer him up! ;o)

You can remove the cygintl.dll dependency by doing a -static build.  The
instructions for a static build for libintl.a is in the
/usr/doc/Cygwin/gettext*.README.

Good luck,
Earnie.

* OT: sorry for  bugging you .. (RE: time to download)
@ 2001-02-12 22:52 Jean Jordaan
From: Jean Jordaan @ 2001-02-12 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'