* RE: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-05-03 15:57 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-05-03 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

You've made my day :]

Rob

@ 2001-05-04  4:11 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-05-04  4:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Piper; +Cc: cygwin

Andy Piper wrote:

> egor duda <deo at logos-m dot ru> wrote:
>  > i wonder if it was my changes to w32api that change _ANONYMOUS_*
>  > semantics? they surely can break applications that include headers
>  > individually without including <windows.h> first. since you didn't
>
> Actually this was the cause of the problem, and it existed because I was
> using code that originated from the cygwin setup - which had the same
> problems. I'm not sure that including individual headers is wrong - but
> there we go.

According to the w32api maintainer, including individual headers is
wrong.

Earnie.
The w32api maintainer.

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-05-03 17:31   ` Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-05-03 17:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles S. Wilson; +Cc: cygwin

At 08:23 PM 5/3/01 -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>IF POSSIBLE -- inside that trashy MS console window.  Cut us *some*
>slack, okay?

Sorry. I'll go and cool off.

andy

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-05-03 17:22 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-05-03 17:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Piper; +Cc: cygwin

Andy Piper wrote:

> Louis Bohm wrote:
>
>  > I do not know about the other points you made but I can tell you that
> the scroll
>  > bars do work when you are running rxvt.  Maybe you should try that instead.
>
> So let me understand this, in order to get a functional terminal I have to
> use a package that is not even shipped with the standard install? No
> standard user is ever going to do this, they are just going to get hacked
> off with it being broken. A better reason for using rxvt might be because
> its faster.
>
> Maybe everyone in the know uses rxvt and that's why the standard terminal
> is not so great?

It was only a suggestion -- not an official recommendation.  Louis was
just trying to solve your problem by offering a solution that worked for
him.  Would you rather he (and everyone else) ignored your problems?

Anyway, 1) a native port of rxvt will soon be in the standard install,
pending a couple of bugfixes, IIRC.  2) I think most people DO use the
standard terminal.  I use an Xport of rxvt with an Xserver; others use
the native rxvt port.  Most poeple probably use "bash in a dosbox" just
like you do.  3) the standard terminal runs inside the @#!!&$@#
dain-bramaged microsoft cmd shell.  Or command shell.  Depending on your
OS.  And cmd.exe and command.com both work differently.  Worse, cmd.exe
works differently on NT and 2K.  C'mon, it's a difficult task: translate
vt100/linux style terminal codes and make them "do the right thing" --
IF POSSIBLE -- inside that trashy MS console window.  Cut us *some*
slack, okay?

--Chuck

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-05-03 17:16 Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-05-03 17:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-05-03 17:10 Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-05-03 17:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-05-03 15:44         ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-05-03 15:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egor duda

@ 2001-05-03 14:14       ` Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2001-05-03 14:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young, egor duda

From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-05-03  7:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Warren Young, egor duda

At 08:38 AM 5/3/2001, Warren Young wrote:
>egor duda wrote:
> >
> > i wholeheartedly agree that lots of cygwin users will benefit from
> > rock-stable cygwin. the main question is "what cygwin team should do
> > for this?"
>
>To answer this it might be helpful to know where Cygwin is going.  I
>assume that the overall goal is stepwise refinement towards Linuxness or
>similar.  So, how far are we from that goal?

Impossible to say, since the stated goal is so broad.  I doubt there will
ever be a day where everything done in Linux will transparently work in
Cygwin.  But if you want some idea of where things stand, I'd say the best
indicator is the cygwin-apps list.  This list is for people porting apps to
Cygwin.  Issues they encounter are the best indication of where Cygwin needs
to go to support the packages people want to run.  I think the main point to
focus on here is that Cygwin is still very much a work in progress.  Needed
functionality is still missing.  Until that changes or the set of "needed
functionality" dwindles to a small enough amount that the vast majority
don't care about it, I don't think it will be possible to address the needs
of those who want a "rock-stable cygwin" and those who need the additional
functionality with one branch of the code.  Unfortunately, managing two
branches isn't likely to happen without a lot more resource.  That additional
resource would need to be able to maintain, release, and provide technical
support for the alternate Cygwin.  Also, coordination with the "development"
branch is required.  Its not a trivial task but it could be done if there were
enough volunteers to undertake this task.

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-05-03  5:38     ` Warren Young
From: Warren Young @ 2001-05-03  5:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egor duda

egor duda wrote:

> i wholeheartedly agree that lots of cygwin users will benefit from
> rock-stable cygwin. the main question is "what cygwin team should do
> for this?"

To answer this it might be helpful to know where Cygwin is going.  I
assume that the overall goal is stepwise refinement towards Linuxness or
similar.  So, how far are we from that goal?
--
= Warren -- Video articles: http://www.cyberport.com/~tangent/video/
=

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-05-01 12:06     ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-05-01 12:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: egor duda; +Cc: Andy Piper

egor duda wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Tuesday, 01 May, 2001 Andy Piper andyp@bea.com wrote:
>
> >>What does "the headers change the whole time" mean?  What specifically
>
> AP> It means that each time I install a new version of w32api or the mingw
> AP> one's I have to fix XEmacs compilation in some way or other.
>
> >>caused you problems?  Was it the move of headers to /usr/include/w32api?
>
> AP> That didn't help. My problem is not whether this was a good or bad thing to
> AP> do, but rather that it changed again (remember the move to the new headers
> AP> etc?)
>
> i wonder if it was my changes to w32api that change _ANONYMOUS_*
> semantics? they surely can break applications that include headers
> individually without including <windows.h> first. since you didn't
> state yet what exactly the problem with headers was, i can only guess.
> if some application included individual w32api headers without
> <windows.h>, i think it's wrong. i think you understand that api
> writer should make some assumptions about how this api will be used
> and act accordingly. "always include windows.h" is, i think, quite
> logical assumption. and, speaking of this specific change, it was made
> to not break programs that do include windows.h

Yes, you should always `#include <windows.h>' and never the pieces.  You
can limit some of the pieces from being included by `#define
WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN prior to the inclusion of windows.h.

> i think you understand that "don't change it in any way" is a bit,
> uhm, unrealistic attitude.

Definitely.

> i wholeheartedly agree that lots of cygwin users will benefit from
> rock-stable cygwin. the main question is "what cygwin team should do
> for this?" don't change anything? this won't make things stable.
> maintain "stable" and "development" branches? well, perhaps somebody
> will be doing this, but the question of "should we merge w32api
> changes from devel branch to the stable one, and if we should, then
> when?" is still unanswered.

What is "stable"?  What is "development"?  IMO, there is the "released"
branch and the "unreleased" branch and both branches can be under
development.  For Cygwin the released branch maintains no further
development and is frozen in time.  And the unreleased branch at times
may include feature improvements and additions or may be in a state of
"fix the bugs to the extent possible within a given time frame".

Earnie.

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-05-01 11:43   ` egor duda
From: egor duda @ 2001-05-01 11:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Piper; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2001-05-01 11:00   ` Louis Bohm
From: Louis Bohm @ 2001-05-01 11:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Piper; +Cc: cygwin

I do not know about the other points you made but I can tell you that the scroll
bars do work when you are running rxvt.  Maybe you should try that instead.

Louis

Andy Piper wrote:

> Chris Faylor writes:
> >What does "fairly broken" mean?  I'm aware of only one problem which I
> >announced a fix for a couple of days ago.
>
> It means that hitting C-c for anything but simple scenarios does not
> interrupt the target process. My case is running java inside a shell script.
>
> > >the headers change the whole time so that trying to maintain anything
> > >that builds under cygwin is a complete nightmare.
> >
> >What does "the headers change the whole time" mean?  What specifically
>
> It means that each time I install a new version of w32api or the mingw
> one's I have to fix XEmacs compilation in some way or other.
>
> >caused you problems?  Was it the move of headers to /usr/include/w32api?
>
> That didn't help. My problem is not whether this was a good or bad thing to
> do, but rather that it changed again (remember the move to the new headers
> etc?)
>
> >FWIW, the 1.3.1 release of Cygwin was a major release.  That's one of
> >the reasons that we incremented the middle number.  We expected
> >problems.  There are problems.  We'll be making a 1.3.2 release soon.
>
> So what happened to the stable release in between? Was there a 1.2?
>
> >Whether it fixes your problems or not is unknown at this point since I
> >have no clear idea what your problems are.  Without specific feedback we
> >can't fix specific problems, so your specific problems are not
> >specifically fixed.  Perhaps you might want to try a snapshot.
>
> I don't want to beta-test cygwin - I just want it to work. That's
> fundamentally my issue. I suspect that you disagree with this and I suspect
> that people feel the same way about XEmacs, but its my opinion and I'm
> entitled to it :)
>
> My top 3 bugs:
>
> - C-c habitually breaks (i.e. does nothing)
>
> - cygwin term does not handle scrollbacks properly (this worked once but
> has been broken for ever), do this:
> build something to generate lots of output and then hit C-c to interrupt,
> scrollback through the screen buffer by dragging the scrollbar with the
> mouse or using a mousewheel. Then type - the screen buffer will habitually
> not scrollback down to the bottom but instead insert your typing in the
> middle of the output.
> [I see from trying to reproduce this reliably that it is somewhat random]
>
> - headers moving and/or changing.
>
> andy
>
> --

¤¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤
¤°`°Systems  Manager and Tivoli Support Geek
¤°`°Lightbridge, Inc
¤°`°67 South Bedford St.
¤°`°Burlington MA 01832
¤°`°781.359.4795 mailto:lbohm@lightbridge.com
¤°`° http://www.lightbridge.com
¤°`°Free Tivoli scripts at: http://www.microgeek.com
¤¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤ø,¸¸,ø¤º°`°º¤øø¤º°`°º¤

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
       [not found] <4.3.2.7.2.20010501101339.00eaa780@san-francisco.beasys.com>
@ 2001-05-01 10:47 ` Andy Piper
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-05-01 10:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-04-30 21:28       ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-04-30 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 12:15:05AM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
>Christopher Faylor wrote:
>> WHAT ^C issue?  What are we talking about?????
>>
>> The only issue I'm aware of is being unable to stop a cygwin process if
>> all of its standard input/output has been redirected.  That was fixed
>> a couple of days ago but it was hardly a new problem.
>
>That's the most recent appearance.  Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I
>had thought there were several "signal-handling" things that have
>cropped up since January.  CTRL-Z not suspending windows apps, CTRL-C
>not able to interrupt a process (regardless of whether its I/O was
>redirected), ...

CTRL-Z was an issue.  CTRL-Z is a very special animal as far as signals
go.

CTRL-C was not an issue, AFAIK.

Regardless, the simple fix that was proposed a few days ago only solves
one specific problem.  The problem that was fixed has been in cygwin
for quite a while.

cgf

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-04-30 21:13     ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-04-30 21:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Christopher Faylor wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 30, 2001 at 11:33:03PM -0400, Charles S. Wilson wrote:
> >>Each time I install, something might be fixed but something else
> >>breaks.  For instance C-c - using C-c in cygwin is completely
> >>fundamental to its usability and yet it has been fairly broken in the
> >>last two versions I have installed (1.1.8-2 and 1.3.1);
> >
> >You are unfortunately correct about the ^C issue.  However, (and this
> >is the really strange thing) it got fixed in the snapshots *prior* to
> >1.3.1 IIRC, but then broke AGAIN at 1.3.1...but is NOW fixed (again) in
> >the snapshots.  I think.  :-P
>
> WHAT ^C issue?  What are we talking about?????
>
> The only issue I'm aware of is being unable to stop a cygwin process if
> all of its standard input/output has been redirected.  That was fixed
> a couple of days ago but it was hardly a new problem.

That's the most recent appearance.  Perhaps I'm misremembering, but I
had thought there were several "signal-handling" things that have
cropped up since January.  CTRL-Z not suspending windows apps, CTRL-C
not able to interrupt a process (regardless of whether its I/O was
redirected), ...

I haven't really paid too much attention to those threads, but that was
my recollection.  I have been known to be wrong, however.
Occaisionally. :-)

Since Andy is the one who has actually observed the problems with both
1.1.8-2 and 1.3.1, perhaps he could clarify?  Andy? ...

--Chuck

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-04-30 21:03   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-04-30 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-04-30 20:31 ` Charles S. Wilson
From: Charles S. Wilson @ 2001-04-30 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andy Piper; +Cc: cygwin

Andy Piper wrote:

> Don't get me wrong - I love cygwin and think Chris and co have done a
> marvellous jobs, but as a user who simply wants cygwin to work well I have
> never installed a version that actually has all the signifcant bugs
> squashed.

This is true.  I've had the same experience with the Linux kernel
2.2.10, 2.2.13, 2.2.14, 2.2.16, and 2.2.18.  And don't get me started on
2.4.0-testX, 2.4.0, 2.4.1, 2.4.2, ...

> Each time I install, something might be fixed but something else
> breaks. For instance C-c - using C-c in cygwin is completely fundamental to
> its usability and yet it has been fairly broken in the last two versions I
> have installed (1.1.8-2 and 1.3.1);

You are unfortunately correct about the ^C issue.  However, (and this is
the really strange thing) it got fixed in the snapshots *prior* to 1.3.1
IIRC, but then broke AGAIN at 1.3.1...but is NOW fixed (again) in the
snapshots.  I think.  :-P

> the headers change the whole time so
> that trying to maintain anything that builds under cygwin is a complete
> nightmare.

(I harp on building non-cygwin apps with cygwin extensively; the reason
for that is made clear several paragraphs down):

Well, no.  What has gone through a lot of *disruptive* changes recently
is not the cygwin kernel itself (although the kernel has changed
substantially, those changes have not been, by and large, disruptive).
Cygwin's gcc has changed a lot, and the "w32api" headers have changed --
that has caused havoc with building non-cygwin (e.g. -mno-cygwin) apps.
If you want to build "pure" cygwin apps, it's been pretty stable (I know
-- I maintain a LOT of the application packages for cygwin).  However,
if you try to build something that's pure windows (no cygwin1.dll
reliance) then -- yeah -- it's been hell recently.

Part of that is because (a) mingw, upon which a lot of the pure windows
support is derived, had a period of roughness there for a while, (b) the
w32api was practically unmaintained for a year or more; we've been
sync'ing up with the "good" version over the last several months and the
mingw folks are really picking up steam, (c) in an attempt to make the
separation between pure-cygwin headers and pure-windows headers, stuff
has moved around [this had ripple effects out to gcc and binutils,
things are still shaking out now], and FINALLY, (d) the -mno-win32 /
-mwin32 default change to gcc is still causing a ripple effect [IMO, the
fact that THAT change is causing problems is indicative of poorly or
incompletely ported apps, but...]

Another part of the problem is w.r.t -mno-cygwin is, well, the NO-CYGWIN
part.  There's enough to do adding features and fixing bugs just in
cygwin and its associated packages (70 or 80 at last count) for the 10
or so developers and package maintainers.  The reason for keeping the
NO-CYGWIN part of the cygwin toolchain working is just that a lot of
people use it -- but since extremely few of those people (none?), who
use cygwin as a toolchain for non-cygwin apps, actually contribute to
the cygwin project itself,

well,

that makes maintaining the NO-CYGWIN part of the cygwin toolchain
completely altruistic.  And altruism, coupled with constant complaints
without assistance, eventually wears thin.  Right now, if it weren't for
the fact that cygwin's setup.exe (and certain other parts of the cygwin
kernel itself) requires the NO-CYGWIN stuff to work -- if it weren't for
that, I think the developers of cygwin would drop NO-CYGWIN support
completely in a New York minute, and tell everybody who wanted it to
install mingw.

> I could go on, but the point is that all of these features have
> worked at one time or other, but there doesn't seem to ever be a release
> that squashes them all. Am I hoping in vain?

Short term pain for long term gain?  Maybe?  We hope?  8-j  (sometimes
it DOES seem like squeezing a balloon or playing whack-a-mole, doesn't
it...)

Anyway, Andy, I know that you recently adapted cygwin's setup (e.g.
"cinstall") for use by XEmacs.  Since setup is a pure-windows app, it
got hit by the gcc/specfile/headers-moving-around problems -- and even
some w32api changes.  You may want to take a look at this patch:

http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-patches/2001-q2/msg00114.html

which was necessary to keep *cygwin's* version of setup.exe working...

--Chuck

P.S. I know you mean to be *contructively* critical of cygwin, and that
you've been a loyal cygwin'er far longer than most of the rest of us.
In fact, you're the inspiration behind my usr-local package for cygwin
V1.1
( http://www.neuro.gatech.edu/users/cwilson/cygutils/V1.1/usr-local/ ) --
your usrlocal package for B20 made cygwin really usable.  Of course, my
usr-local for V1.1 has dwindled as I've migrated most of 'my' packages
into the core cygwin dist.  So, all cygwiners owe you a debt of thanks,
and should take comments by a long timer like yourself with a certain
seriousness.

OTOH, Chris is right -- we can try to fix *specific* complaints, but
"cygwin isn't stable" is a bit too general...

* Re: When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-04-30 12:43 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-04-30 12:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-04-30 12:30 ` Christopher Dale Campbell
From: Christopher Dale Campbell @ 2001-04-30 12:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin

* When will cygwin ever be stable?
@ 2001-04-30 11:28 Andy Piper
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Andy Piper @ 2001-04-30 11:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Don't get me wrong - I love cygwin and think Chris and co have done a
marvellous jobs, but as a user who simply wants cygwin to work well I have
never installed a version that actually has all the signifcant bugs
squashed. Each time I install, something might be fixed but something else
breaks. For instance C-c - using C-c in cygwin is completely fundamental to
its usability and yet it has been fairly broken in the last two versions I
have installed (1.1.8-2 and 1.3.1); the headers change the whole time so
that trying to maintain anything that builds under cygwin is a complete
nightmare. I could go on, but the point is that all of these features have
worked at one time or other, but there doesn't seem to ever be a release
that squashes them all. Am I hoping in vain?

Yours frustratedly,

andy