From: Mike Brady <mikebrady@eircom.net>
To: cygwin@cygwin.com
Subject: Re: Question about D-Bus and cygrunsrv
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2019 14:07:00 -0000	[thread overview]

Hello again.

I've returned to this continuing problem and come up with a short piece of code which seems to exemplify this problem. It works in Linux and doesn't work in Cygwin.

Basically, the code is an attempt to get a "name" on the D-Bus "system bus" which could be used to provide a system-wide service using the D-Bus IPC protocol.

The attempt to get a name succeeds on Linux (Ubuntu 19.04) and fails on Cygwin (3.0.7). The code uses the high-level GDbus interface that is part of GIO (https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/ch01.html <https://developer.gnome.org/gio/stable/ch01.html>).

Another piece of sample code that uses the regular D-Bus library (libdbus1-devel in Cygwin) seems to work perfectly, which seems to me to suggest that whatever this probelm is, it is not a security issue.

Both of these samples are set up as automake projects and include config and policy files. I'd be happy to share or publish them wherever convenient...

Regards
Mike