* Is there a problem with the mail archives?
@ 2000-09-28 10:51 Stucky, Mark B.           UTRC
From: Stucky, Mark B.           UTRC @ 2000-09-28 10:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin'

I just tried several searches of the archives,
and I am getting zero hits for things that I know
are in the archives.

Thanks in advance

--Mark

* Re: Is there a problem with the mail archives?
@ 2000-10-02 11:31       ` Andreas Eibach
From: Andreas Eibach @ 2000-10-02 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

> > Why on earth do you only allow to search 4 days back and not any more?
> There are *three* ways to search those archives:

> * The archive's global search.  ( http://www.delorie.com/archives/ )
> * The site's search.  ( http://www.delorie.com/search/ )
> * The "days ago" search.

ARGHHHH....

Well then _I_ was the one that was confused.
Sorry...
Well I went back to www.delorie.com/archives and
I looked again. _Carefully_ this time.
YOU'RE RIGHT...I must not click on "cygwin" (that was the first to come to
my eyes,
so I "rushed" on this link  because I did want to search something about
cygwin, without
thinking what will happen, that is :)), instead I must use the search form
below.
Ahhhh...

Well I think since more people like to /search/ more than they like to
/browse/,
I suggest it's better to swap those two parts: put "search" above (because
you need it
much more often) and "browse" below.
As it could be a personal thing, please do not attach too much importance to
it.
It's just a suggestion, nothing else.

Andreas

* Re: Is there a problem with the mail archives?
@ 2000-10-01 17:59       ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-10-01 17:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cabbey; +Cc: a.eibach, cygwin

> Now if you really want to talk about something that keeps me from
> visiting a site, how about starting up java to run that stupid punch
> the monkey ad.

I always keep java disabled.

> (bad timing I guess, as that was the first ad impression burst net
> decided to feed me... just earned themselves a place in my bitbucket
> for that.)

Remember that revenue from those ads is the only thing keeping
delorie.com running.  Have *you* sent in your donation yet?  ;-)

* Re: Is there a problem with the mail archives?
@ 2000-10-01 17:52     ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-10-01 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: a.eibach; +Cc: cygwin

> Why on earth do you only allow to search 4 days back and not any more?

There are *three* ways to search those archives:

* The archive's global search.  ( http://www.delorie.com/archives/ )
* The site's search.  ( http://www.delorie.com/search/ )
* The "days ago" search.

The "days ago" search is a simple grep (i.e. very expensive to run),
intended to be used to find a referred-to email and nothing else.
Grepping through a few days means hundreds of emails, whereas the
global search uses a keyword hash and database, so searching hundreds
of thousands of emails takes but a fraction of a second.

If you want to go further back, click on the "/archives/" link in the
header and use the global search, setting it to a week, month, year,
or infinity ago; or use one of the "Thread:" links in the mail
header.

* Re: Is there a problem with the mail archives?
@ 2000-10-01 13:28     ` Chris Abbey
From: Chris Abbey @ 2000-10-01 13:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Andreas Eibach; +Cc: cygwin

At 18:57 9/30/00 +0200, Andreas Eibach wrote:
>Why on earth do you only allow to search 4 days back and not any more?

well, I'm not DJ by any stretch, but I can trivially fix this one for
you... don't search on the list page at:

http://www.delorie.com/archives/browse.cgi?p=cygwin

but instead search on the main archives page at:

http://www.delorie.com/archives/

by changing the drop down from the default djgpp to cygwin and giving it
a query; works like a charm.

@ 2000-10-01  6:19   ` Andreas Eibach
From: Andreas Eibach @ 2000-10-01  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: DJ Delorie; +Cc: cygwin

> Well, we have no way of doing anything about egroups.  If you have
> problems with the archives on delorie.com, then I can help.

DJ,

I wouldn't describe it as *problems*.
I would rather say "unnecessary BARRIERS".

Why on earth do you only allow to search 4 days back and not any more?

Well I can only (partly) agree with Earnie, at the current state the
archives
on delorie.com are not of much "productive" use to me because I like a way
of searching more than 4 days back.
At least one or two weeks ought to be possible.
Well I don't think that's too much bleeting.

Is there any comprehensible reason for this limit?
I don't see any.

Andreas

* RE: Is there a problem with the mail archives?
@ 2000-09-29 13:11 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-09-29 13:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: David Starks-Browning, cygwin

--- David Starks-Browning <starksb@ebi.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday 28 Sep 00, Earnie Boyd writes:
> > Use the search engine found at
> > http://www.egroups.com/messages/gnu-win32 .
>
> Is there nothing we can do about them calling it "gnu-win32" instead
> of "cygwin"?

I suppose someone officially Cygnus could do ask them to change it.  This list
started out as gnu-win32@cygnus.com and since the change egroups left it that
way.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* RE: Is there a problem with the mail archives?
@ 2000-09-29  2:31 ` David Starks-Browning
From: David Starks-Browning @ 2000-09-29  2:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Thursday 28 Sep 00, Earnie Boyd writes:
> Use the search engine found at
> http://www.egroups.com/messages/gnu-win32 .

Is there nothing we can do about them calling it "gnu-win32" instead
of "cygwin"?

Regardless, I'll add a pointer to this archive in the FAQ.

Cheers,
David

* Re: Is there a problem with the mail archives?
@ 2000-09-28 18:05 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-28 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: earnie_boyd; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2000-09-28 18:01 Earnie Boyd