* Installing CDK
@ 1997-09-30 18:00 Tomcat
From: Tomcat @ 1997-09-30 18:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

This is concerning CDK installation problem I mentioned yesterday. ("the decompression of %s failed, there might be not enough free space in TEMP directory")

Thanks to the people who instantly answered, but the problem still persists.
First thing I did was to empty the temp dir (c:\windows\temp, also pointed by TEMP and TMP environment variables). Same thing happened. Then next thing I tried was deleting the whole temp dir, wiping it out of recyle bin (for luck) and then creating it again. It wouldn't work. I was curious and tried it without any temp dir at all, but install shield complained (not being able to write to c:\windows\temp). Okey so it's nothing wrong with the temp. Then just as an experiment, I ended up deleting files as installation created them, but still it would stop at the fatal 98% resulting with the same message I am dreaming these days. And as someone mentioned I tried creating c:\temp and c:\tmp.. Of course, it wouldn't work.

Astonishing thought came to me that people who actually wrote some of the most sophisticated lines of code in the world, that entire GNU project is, can let something like this happening. Tjah.

Here is the list of the files setup extracted, I'd like if someone could attach me the rest as I see no other alternative solving this trouble :)

data.tag
data1.cab
lang.dat
os.dat
setup.bmp,exe,ini,ins
_inst31i.ex_
_isdel.exe
_setup.dll
_sys1.cab
_user1.cab

-

* Re: Installing CDK
@ 1997-10-01  5:41 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-10-01  5:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article <199710010059.CAA23791@galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu>,
Tomcat <tomcat@galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu> wrote:
>Astonishing thought came to me that people who actually wrote some of
>the most sophisticated lines of code in the world, that entire GNU
>project is, can let something like this happening.  Tjah.

Gee.  That's an interesting way of asking for help.  Certainly the "GNU
project" should have been able to predict that you would have problems
and fix them ahead of time.  I don't know what is wrong with the "GNU
project".  Maybe you should get your money back?
--
http://www.bbc.com/	cgf@bbc.com			"Strange how unreal
VMS=>UNIX Solutions	Boston Business Computing	 the real can be."

* Re: Installing CDK
@ 1997-10-04 17:13 Tomcat
From: Tomcat @ 1997-10-04 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: desh; +Cc: gnu-win32

>Hi,
>I downloaded the cdk splits (xaa, xab, ... ) and joined together and
>surprisingly IT WORKED.
>try that.
>-desh
> ----

AMAZING. it works.
I'd really like to hear the explanation for this voodoo magic :)

-

* Re: Installing CDK
@ 1997-10-04  7:40 desh

From: Tomcat <tomcat@galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu>
To: sos@prospect.com.ru; Date: Friday, October 03, 1997 4:59 PM
Subject: RE: Installing CDK

>desh wrote:
>> I tried the same procedure and got the same files in TEMP directory and
the
>> same error.
>
>cd \windows
>attrib -r unins*.*

I tried it, and it didn't work.

-

* RE: Installing CDK
@ 1997-10-03  3:58 Tomcat
From: Tomcat @ 1997-10-03  3:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: sos, gnu-win32, desh

>desh wrote:
>> I tried the same procedure and got the same files in TEMP directory and the
>> same error.
>
>cd \windows
>attrib -r unins*.*

I tried it, and it didn't work.

-

* RE: Installing CDK
@ 1997-10-01 10:41 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-10-01 10:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, Tomcat, 'desh'

desh wrote:
> I tried the same procedure and got the same files in TEMP directory and the
> same error.

cd \windows
attrib -r unins*.*

--
Sergey Okhapkin, http://www.lexa.ru/sos
Moscow, Russia

-

* Re: Installing CDK
@ 1997-10-01  2:58 desh
From: desh @ 1997-10-01  2:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, Tomcat

I tried the same procedure and got the same files in TEMP directory and the
same error.

I will appriciate if some one can give me location of some other for of
distribution (may be tar / gz).
I need it fast.

thanks
-Mittar

 ----
From: Tomcat <tomcat@galeb.etf.bg.ac.yu>
To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Date: Wednesday, October 01, 1997 2:45 PM
Subject: Installing CDK

@ 1997-09-27 16:25     ` justin.
From: justin. @ 1997-09-27 16:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bizzaro; +Cc: GNU Win 32

Bizzaro wrote:

> > Thats incorrect. It says not enough room when you have *too* many files
> > inside of the /temp directory. erase em. :)
> >

> Recently I tried reinstalling cdk on another Win95 machine.  Downloaded cdk.exe,
> ran it, got that error.  Funny thing was that there was nothing in the temp
> dir.  I tried changing the drive the TEMP env variable pointed to, etc.  Still,
> failed.  Of course, I erased what it put in temp and retried a couple million
> times.  Finally just tar'ed up what I have on my main Win95 machine and all has
> worked fine, but perhaps there is something else besides too many files in the
> temp dir.

Could be, when this similar problem happened to me, clearing out the TEMP directory
solved my problems, maybe it could be something diffrent?

-

* Re: Installing cdk
@ 1997-09-27  5:44   ` Bizzaro
From: Bizzaro @ 1997-09-27  5:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: GNU Win 32

@ 1997-09-26 16:46 ` justin.
From: justin. @ 1997-09-26 16:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd; +Cc: gnu-win32, desh

@ 1997-09-26  9:48 Sergey Okhapkin
From: Sergey Okhapkin @ 1997-09-26  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, Alex, 'Mittar Desh'

Mittar Desh wrote:
> The Files system is NTFS and i have deleted all files.
> Still I ma not ablr to extract files.

I had the same problem. I copied cdk.exe to the fat partition and cdk runs fine.

--

@ 1997-09-26  5:25 Mittar Desh

From: Alex <garbanzo@hooked.net>
To: gnu-win32@cygnus.com
Date: Friday, September 26, 1997 4:14 PM

>On Thu, 25 Sep 1997, Mittar Desh wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I have downloaded cdk.exe from cygnus. When ever I run it I get the
>> following error message:
>>
>> "The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk
space
>> available in the TEMP directory"
>>
>> Although I have got around 900 MB of free space.
>>
>> Any idea how much more free space is required or how to resolve this.
>>
>> I am installing this on Windows NT 4.0
>>
>> thanks in advance
>
>What type of filesystem is your TEMP directory mounted on? I _think_ that
>this is a known problem with InstallShield.
>
>- alex
>
>-

-

* Re: Installing cdk
@ 1997-09-25 20:40 ` banders
From: banders @ 1997-09-25 20:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

Geoffrey, this is definitely one for the FAQ.

Possibly the answer, but if you check the archives, you'll find that
often it is a problem with the number of files in the temp directory.
See if you can clean up the temp directory (use the set command and you
should see the possible directories :^)

Earnie Boyd wrote:

> >From: "Mittar Desh" <desh@orp.pdc.com>
> >To: <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
> >Cc: "Desh Mittar" <desh@orp.pdc.com>
> >Subject: Installing cdk
> >Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:33:38 -0000
> >
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I have downloaded cdk.exe from cygnus. When ever I run it I get the
> >following error message:
> >
> >"The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk
> space
> >available in the TEMP directory"
> >
> >Although I have got around 900 MB of free space.
> >
> >Any idea how much more free space is required or how to resolve this.
> >
> >I am installing this on Windows NT 4.0
> >
> >thanks in advance
> >-desh
> >

> >-
> >For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message
> >"gnu-win32-request@cygnus.com" with one line of text: "help".
> >

> Perhaps it was a bad download, or if you downloaded the pieces perhaps
> you didn't join them back together correctly.  The distribution uses
> less than 20meg.
>
> -        \\||//
> ---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
> -earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
> ------ooo0O--O0ooo-------

* Re: Installing cdk
@ 1997-09-25 17:41 ` Alex
From: Alex @ 1997-09-25 17:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

@ 1997-09-25 17:00 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 1997-09-25 17:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32

In article < 19970925124218.27720.qmail@hotmail.com >,
Earnie Boyd <earnie_boyd@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>I have downloaded cdk.exe from cygnus. When ever I run it I get the
>>following error message:
>>
>>"The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk
>space
>>available in the TEMP directory"
>>
>>Although I have got around 900 MB of free space.
>
>Perhaps it was a bad download, or if you downloaded the pieces perhaps
>you didn't join them back together correctly.  The distribution uses
>less than 20meg.

It's a bug in InstallShield.  Remove some files from your %TEMP directory
and things should work better.
--

@ 1997-09-25  7:41 Colman Curtin
From: Colman Curtin @ 1997-09-25  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd, gnu-win32, desh

>>"The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk
>space
>>available in the TEMP directory"
>>
>>Although I have got around 900 MB of free space.
>>
>>Any idea how much more free space is required or how to resolve this.
I think this came up before - something to do with the number of files in the
temp dir.delete some and try again.

Colman.

-

* Re: Installing cdk
@ 1997-09-25  6:11 Earnie Boyd
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Earnie Boyd @ 1997-09-25  6:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gnu-win32, desh

>From: "Mittar Desh" <desh@orp.pdc.com>
>To: <gnu-win32@cygnus.com>
>Cc: "Desh Mittar" <desh@orp.pdc.com>
>Subject: Installing cdk
>Date: Thu, 25 Sep 1997 12:33:38 -0000
>
>Hi All,
>
>I have downloaded cdk.exe from cygnus. When ever I run it I get the
>following error message:
>
>"The decompression of %s failed. There may not be enough free disk
space
>available in the TEMP directory"
>
>Although I have got around 900 MB of free space.
>
>Any idea how much more free space is required or how to resolve this.
>
>I am installing this on Windows NT 4.0
>
>thanks in advance
>-desh
>

>-
>For help on using this list (especially unsubscribing), send a message

Perhaps it was a bad download, or if you downloaded the pieces perhaps
you didn't join them back together correctly.  The distribution uses
less than 20meg.

---o0O0--Earnie--0O0o----
-earnie_boyd@hotmail.com-
------ooo0O--O0ooo-------