* setup
@ 2003-09-19 19:00 Robert McNulty Junior
From: Robert McNulty Junior @ 2003-09-19 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'm having difficulty with setup.
THe problem seems to be that setup won't read the setup.ini file.
This is with the setup called 2.340.2.5.
And the snapshot.
THe error is null then a line number then syntax error, etc.
Robert

* setup
@ 2011-01-06 23:20 Hugh Myers
From: Hugh Myers @ 2011-01-06 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

If after making numerous choices on a fresh setup, the program
(setup.exe) determines that the DL site selected is deficient in some
way and kicks you back to the list of providers, and you then select
another, the next screen you see is the initial selection screen. It
seems to me that there are two possibilities here; 1. the program has
discarded the information previously gathered, or, 2. it remembers
your choices but chooses not to inform you of that. Which is it, 1. or
2.? Either way it seems like the program could use a little work to
become more 'user' friendly. Either don't throw away information
painfully gathered or tell the user that his or her choice is to
either add to the existing list or just to hit next and continue.

--hsm

* Re: setup
@ 2004-09-07 15:17 ` bertrand marquis
From: bertrand marquis @ 2004-09-07 15:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin JN Breame; +Cc: cygwin

Le mar 07/09/2004 à 16:52, Colin JN Breame a écrit :
> Is there a way of installing packages on the command line?

i think you can dowmload the packages form a server

than you will have to extract them in / using tar -xjf ...

than you will have to run the postinstall scripts in /etc/postinstall

i have tried that to install small packages and it is working

This won't work if you don't have cygwin already installed ;-)

I think this could also be a problem if you have an old release of the
program installed as it doesn't remove the old files as the setup

the last thing is that i don't think that the packages will be
registered for cygwin and so you won't see then in cygcheck...

bertrand

PS: if someone know a way to do that in a better way i'm interested.

> --

* Re: setup
@ 2004-09-07 15:02 ` Larry Hall
From: Larry Hall @ 2004-09-07 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Colin JN Breame, cygwin

At 10:52 AM 9/7/2004, you wrote:
>Is there a way of installing packages on the command line?

Depending on the complexity of your needs, yes.  See

<http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-11/msg01490.html>

You can google for more info too.

Holliston, MA 01746

* setup
@ 2004-09-07 14:53 Colin JN Breame
From: Colin JN Breame @ 2004-09-07 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-04-09 22:16           ` Cant
From: Cant @ 2003-04-09 22:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

oki doki got it... and thanks i hope i checked the right box seeings that
everything is in polish and my polish is not on such a high level... hehe [;

Uzytkownik "Shankar Unni" <shankar@cotagesoft.com> napisal w wiadomosci
> Cant wrote:
>
> > i have windows XP pro i was just informed that it has a default firewall
is
> > this true? and how may i turn it off or go around it...?
>
> It's only true if you set it up that way when you first bring up a new
> installation and configure your network. And turning it off is as simple
> as visiting the properties of the network connection, going to the
> "Advanced" tab, and disabling the firewall (there's only one button to
> disable there).

* Re: setup
@ 2003-04-09 19:04         ` Shankar Unni
From: Shankar Unni @ 2003-04-09 19:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-04-09 14:44       ` Cant
From: Cant @ 2003-04-09 14:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

well now i tried the http mirrors and it works just fine... wow i feel
lame... i hate xp i hate firewalls...

Uzytkownik "Igor Pechtchanski" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> napisal w wiadomosci
> Do you believe in miracles?  If yes, chalk it off to one.  If not, let's
> get to the bottom of this.  What are your browser settings?  Does your
> problem occur for both ftp and http mirrors?  Can you access the mirrors
> via a command-line ftp?  Does "wget" work?  Do you have a proxy?
>
> BTW, you might want to try selecting *all* the mirrors (using Shift-click)
> and letting setup try each one in turn.  Let us know which of them work
> (and post setup.log.full, please).
> Igor
>
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Cant wrote:
>
> >  yes yes yes and yes all of that i CAN access that is why i am so
> > surprised... im not a newbie at cygwin i have installed it like
9238472389
> > other times on like 3894723894 other computers(exaggeration) ... ];
> >
> > Uzytkownik "Igor Pechtchanski" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> napisal w
wiadomosci

> > > Did you try both "Direct Connection" and "Use IE5 Settings" options?
Can
> > > you access the mirrors with your browser via the links on
> > > <http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html>?
> > > Igor
>
> --
> http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_ pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
>   -- Leto II

* Re: setup
@ 2003-04-09  0:48       ` Cant
From: Cant @ 2003-04-09  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

i have windows XP pro i was just informed that it has a default firewall is
this true? and how may i turn it off or go around it...?

Uzytkownik "Igor Pechtchanski" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> napisal w wiadomosci
> Do you believe in miracles?  If yes, chalk it off to one.  If not, let's
> get to the bottom of this.  What are your browser settings?  Does your
> problem occur for both ftp and http mirrors?  Can you access the mirrors
> via a command-line ftp?  Does "wget" work?  Do you have a proxy?
>
> BTW, you might want to try selecting *all* the mirrors (using Shift-click)
> and letting setup try each one in turn.  Let us know which of them work
> (and post setup.log.full, please).
> Igor
>
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Cant wrote:
>
> >  yes yes yes and yes all of that i CAN access that is why i am so
> > surprised... im not a newbie at cygwin i have installed it like
9238472389
> > other times on like 3894723894 other computers(exaggeration) ... ];
> >
> > Uzytkownik "Igor Pechtchanski" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> napisal w
wiadomosci

> > > Did you try both "Direct Connection" and "Use IE5 Settings" options?
Can
> > > you access the mirrors with your browser via the links on
> > > <http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html>?
> > > Igor
>
> --
> http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_ pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
>   -- Leto II

* Re: setup
@ 2003-04-08 19:43     ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-08 19:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cant; +Cc: cygwin

--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

@ 2003-04-08 19:05 Cant
From: Cant @ 2003-04-08 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2003-04-08 19:02   ` Cant
From: Cant @ 2003-04-08 19:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

 yes yes yes and yes all of that i CAN access that is why i am so
surprised... im not a newbie at cygwin i have installed it like 9238472389
other times on like 3894723894 other computers(exaggeration) ... ];

Uzytkownik "Igor Pechtchanski" <pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu> napisal w wiadomosci
> On Tue, 8 Apr 2003, Cant wrote:
>
> > I have no idea what is going on but its not able to download the
setup.ini
> > from any of the mirrors... yes i downloaded the newest setup release and
yes
> > im connected to the internet and yes yes yes to all of that maybe its
some
> > server problems...? some bug or something please help... it would be
> > appreciated greatly...
> >
> > it says in the setup.log.full this
> > ------------------------
> > get_url_to_membuf
> > blah://download site/something/setup.bz2
> > getUrlToStream
> > blah://download site/something/setup.bz2
> > ftp > error
> > ftp > error
> > getUrlToStream failed!
> > get_url_to_membuf failed!
> > get_url_to_membuf
> > blah://download site/something/setup.ini
> > getUrlToStream
> > blah://download site/something/setup.ini
> > ftp > error
> > ftp > error
> > getUrlToStream failed!
> > get_url_to_membuf failed!
> > 2003/04/07 07:17:18 mbox note: Unable to get setup.ini from
> > blah://dld site here
> > 2003/04/07 07:17:23 Ending cygwin install
> > -----------------
> > and says this for any and every server i try...
> > -cant-
>
> Did you try both "Direct Connection" and "Use IE5 Settings" options?  Can
> you access the mirrors with your browser via the links on
> <http://cygwin.com/mirrors.html>?
> Igor
> --
> http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
>       |\      _,,,---,,_ pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu
> ZZZzz /,`.-'`'    -.  ;-;;,_ igor@watson.ibm.com
>      |,4-  ) )-,_. ,\ (  `'-' Igor Pechtchanski
>     '---''(_/--'  `-'\_) fL a.k.a JaguaR-R-R-r-r-r-.-.-.  Meow!
>
> Knowledge is an unending adventure at the edge of uncertainty.
>   -- Leto II

* Re: setup
@ 2003-04-08 18:36 ` Igor Pechtchanski
From: Igor Pechtchanski @ 2003-04-08 18:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cant; +Cc: cygwin

@ 2003-04-08 18:31 Cant
From: Cant @ 2003-04-08 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-05-25 15:23   ` René Møller Fonseca
From: René Møller Fonseca @ 2002-05-25 15:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Pavel Tsekov

Hi,

I had the same problem as Lee described (but on a W2K Pentium III
system). The install process does not hang for snapshot setup-2.243.exe.

René

Pavel Tsekov wrote:
> Hello Brant,
>
> Take a look here http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-05/msg01548.html.
>
> You can try installing a snapshot setup.exe to see if this
> helps out. And if you feel like you can try to debug the problem.
>
> Saturday, May 25, 2002, 10:15:40 AM, you wrote:
>
> BLG> I reported this problem earlier, but it seems to still be occuring.
> BLG> I am using Windows XP Home Edition on a 512MB AMD XP 1700+ system.
>
> [ snip details ]
>
> BLG> Please help or let me know if I need to supply more details.
>

> --

B.Sc. in Computer Systems Engineering
The Maersk Mc-Kinney Moller Institute for Production Technology
University of Southern Denmark
http://www.mip.sdu.dk/~fonseca

* Re: Setup
@ 2002-05-25 11:39 ` Pavel Tsekov
From: Pavel Tsekov @ 2002-05-25 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brant Langer Gurganus; +Cc: cygwin

Hello Brant,

Take a look here http://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin/2002-05/msg01548.html.

You can try installing a snapshot setup.exe to see if this
helps out. And if you feel like you can try to debug the problem.

Saturday, May 25, 2002, 10:15:40 AM, you wrote:

BLG> I reported this problem earlier, but it seems to still be occuring.
BLG> I am using Windows XP Home Edition on a 512MB AMD XP 1700+ system.

[ snip details ]

BLG> Please help or let me know if I need to supply more details.

* Setup
@ 2002-05-25 11:22 Brant Langer Gurganus
From: Brant Langer Gurganus @ 2002-05-25 11:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I reported this problem earlier, but it seems to still be occuring.
I am using Windows XP Home Edition on a 512MB AMD XP 1700+ system.

   1. I downloaded setup.exe (2.218.2.9) to my Desktop.
   2. I double-click setup.exe.
   3. I click Next.
   4. I choose Install from Internet and click Next.
   5. Root Directory is set as C:\cygwin, Install for Just Me, Default
      Text File Type: Unix.
   6. I click Next.
   7. Local Package Directory is C:\Documents and
      Settings\Brant\Desktop\Cygwin Setup.
   8. I click Next.
   9. I choose Direct Connection.
  10. I click Next.
  11. I choose ftp://archive.progeny.com and click Next.
  12. setup.ini downloads.
  13. Cygwin Setup freezes saying "This space intentionally left blank".

Please help or let me know if I need to supply more details.

--
Sincerely,

Brant Langer Gurganus

JASM, Troop 545
Default QA Contact, Mozilla Evangelism
Technician, Protonic.com
Webmaster, troop545.cjb.net
Webmaster, www.firecrafter.org

* Re: setup
@ 2002-02-27  0:40 ` Bjoern Kahl AG Resy
From: Bjoern Kahl AG Resy @ 2002-02-27  0:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Anthony J. Zepezauer; +Cc: cygwin

 Hallo !

On Tue, 26 Feb 2002, Anthony J. Zepezauer wrote:

> Yes, I have looked
> in the online Users Guide, the FAQ and the archive for this list.

 Are you sure, you read and understand the documentation?

 Any way,

> I'm trying to install Cygwin on Win2000.  I downloaded the latest setup.exe
> and ran it (twice).  The problem is I don't seem to be getting everything I
> need.  The first time I used the default set of packages, the second I used
> Full (almost; I passed on some obscure, obviously nonessential ones).

 I am sure you already got this right, but ...

 Setup has two major operation modes:
 - just download
 - install (either from net or a previously download)

 Make sure you actually installed some things.

 (Last setup version I tried was somewhat confusing about how to
  install things. Make sure you expanded the package-list, and the
  "new" column shows "install" or a version-number.)

> What I don't see is a .exe file to start Cygwin!  Or, the /usr/doc directory
> that is mentioned in the FAQ.

 After real installation, you will find a file "cygwin.bat" in the root
 installation directory.
 Click on this cygwin.bat to start a bash-shell.

 (There is no such thing as a "cygwin.exe", because cygwin is a
  Posix-emulation-library and a collection of (GNU-) tools that
  use this emulation library.)

  Bjoern

* Re: setup
@ 2002-02-26 10:10   ` Anthony J. Zepezauer
From: Anthony J. Zepezauer @ 2002-02-26 10:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Brian, thanks for asking the pertinent questions, they have solved the
problem.  I did an Install from Internet the first time; the second, I chose
Download from Internet but didn't realize I had to run setup.exe again to
complete the install.  Once I did that it installed fine, put an icon on my
desktop, etc.

Also, sorry I missed the topic(s) in the archives.  I think what I did is
search for "cygwin.exe", which of course turned up nothing since cygwin.bat
would have been what I wanted.  I'll spend some time just browsing so I have
an idea of what's in there when future problems arise.

AZ

From: Brian Keener @ 2002-02-26  9:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-02-26  8:54 Anthony J. Zepezauer
From: Anthony J. Zepezauer @ 2002-02-26  8:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi, I am a new user with a seriously bonehead problem.  Yes, I have looked
in the online Users Guide, the FAQ and the archive for this list.

I'm trying to install Cygwin on Win2000.  I downloaded the latest setup.exe
and ran it (twice).  The problem is I don't seem to be getting everything I
need.  The first time I used the default set of packages, the second I used
Full (almost; I passed on some obscure, obviously nonessential ones).

What I don't see is a .exe file to start Cygwin!  Or, the /usr/doc directory
that is mentioned in the FAQ.  Am I missing something in the install?  Has
anybody else reported problems with the latest setup.exe?  Any help would be
appreciated.

AZ

* setup
@ 2001-09-15 12:53 Jason Moxham
From: Jason Moxham @ 2001-09-15 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

From J.L.Moxham@maths.soton.ac.uk Sat Sep 15 20:34 BST 2001
From: Jason Moxham <J.L.Moxham@maths.soton.ac.uk>
Subject: setup
To: cygwin-help@sourceware.cygnus.com
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2001 20:34:24 +0100 (BST)
Cc: j.l.moxham@maths.soton.ac.uk

I have a dll problem which I think might be fixed by the latest binutils
, so I tryied to find a mirror  which had the latest .

While I was going thru each mirror to see which has the update I noticed
that some of them had an older version of "setup" , which when run gave
incorrect "new" packages  , perhaps these sites should be taken off the
mirrors list , you do get a warning about it being an older version of
setup , but that shouldn't affect what pakages are considered "newer" ,
should it?

Jason Moxham
j.l.moxham@maths.soton.ac.uk

* Setup
@ 2001-08-26  1:44 Ronald Landheer
From: Ronald Landheer @ 2001-08-26  1:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin

Hello all,

I was just updating my Cygwin installation and had a thought: would it be
possible to put a "hang up when finished" checkbox in the download screen
(the one that says: "downloading... (..)" )? for dial-up connections?
Sorry to say I wouldn't be able to implement it myself, but as Outlook has
it, I think it should be possible, right?

Greetz!

Ronald

* Re: Setup
@ 2001-02-07  5:59 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-02-07  5:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordon Milligan; +Cc: cygwin

Gordon Milligan wrote:

> Hi
>
> I have ran the cgywin setup program and installed various packages. The
> problem is that when i run cgywin it complains that It cannot find
> cgywin1.dll. I have searched my drive for this file and it is not found. Can
> anyone tell me what is going wrong?

Your word various is the operative word.  You haven't installed enough various
packages.  All packages would be a good choice since you haven't a clue as to
what all of the needed packages are.

Earnie.

* Setup
@ 2001-02-07  3:52 Gordon Milligan
From: Gordon Milligan @ 2001-02-07  3:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi

I have ran the cgywin setup program and installed various packages. The
problem is that when i run cgywin it complains that It cannot find
cgywin1.dll. I have searched my drive for this file and it is not found. Can
anyone tell me what is going wrong?

Gordon.

* Re: setup
@ 2001-01-26 13:37   ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-26 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: jqb

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 09:16:12AM -0800, Jim Balter wrote:
>In other words, you aren't interested in the *content*.  You are happy
>to not fix a problem just because of the attitude of the person who
>reported it.  That's what I mean by a lack of inner moral strength.
>
>And if you folks had a sensible bug reporting mechanism instead of your
>bug submission page pointing at a mailing list, you wouldn't be getting
>something that you consider "inappropriate".

A few points:

1) No one has said that they wouldn't consider your changes.  We
   were trying to point out that an actual contribution is a much
   more compelling argument than a sarcastic insistence on getting
   things changed.  Our usual response to non severe bug reports is
   to suggest that the person take a stab at fixing it themselves.  You
   are inexplicably offended by this.

2) What kind of "moral strength" does it take to be polite?  You are
   talking to human beings who have supplied you with a comprehensive
   package for free, for use on your system.  While it would be nice if
   we could all put aside your obvious problems with polite communication
   I have to confess that I do fail miserably at filtering out words that
   were obviously intended to anger when they are associated with a bug
   report.

3) What kind of "moral strength" is involved in using something like cygwin
   which is offered for free and contributing nothing back but snide complaints?

4) "We folks" have considered setting up a bug reporting mechanism, actually.
   We'll probably get around to it at some time.  However, it is unlikely that
   your bug submission would have gotten a better response given your style.

>Since I'm not getting responses of any value to me, I will simply
>forward additional ones back to the list without comment.

Thanks for stating this publicly.  I'll be contacting your ISP about your
antisocial behavior.

Ta ta, Mr. "Moral Strength".

cgf

* Re: setup
@ 2001-01-26 11:31   ` Brian Keener
From: Brian Keener @ 2001-01-26 11:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Jim Balter wrote:
> And if you folks had a sensible bug reporting mechanism instead
> of your bug submission page pointing at a mailing list,

What part of free software supported by Cygwin volunteers that donate
their time for programming, debugging and testing did you not understand.
I'm no great programmer of 35 years and barely understand the source code
but even I have managed to contribute my time and some programming
changes to improve and enhance this free software.  Talk alone buys
nothing.

* Re: setup
@ 2001-01-26 10:48   ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2001-01-26 10:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 09:16:12AM -0800, Jim Balter wrote:
> In other words, you aren't interested in the *content*.
> You are happy to not fix a problem just because of the
> attitude of the person who reported it.  That's what I mean
> by a lack of inner moral strength.
>
> And if you folks had a sensible bug reporting mechanism instead
> of your bug submission page pointing at a mailing list,
> you wouldn't be getting something that you consider
> "inappropriate".
>
> Since I'm not getting responses of any value to me,
> I will simply forward additional ones back to the list
> without comment.

Obviously he doesn't understand what's going on in the open
source community. No more follow ups, please. That's simply
boring.

Corinna

Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: setup
@ 2001-01-26  9:16 ` Jim Balter
                     ` (2 more replies)
From: Jim Balter @ 2001-01-26  9:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2001-01-26  9:11     ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-26  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Balter; +Cc: Earnie Boyd

Jim Balter wrote:

> Earnie Boyd wrote:
> >
> > If *you* can do it better, then please *do*.  Submit a patch, complete
> > the assignment forms and your patch will be gratefully considered.  Oh,
> > and don't forget to have *your* QA engineers test it.
>
> In other words, you aren't really interested in user feedback
> or improving your creations.

No.  It's not my creation.  It's a Cygwin user community creation.  You
own it as much as I do.

> > That aside, why would you change the way setup installed it in the first
> > place?
>
> Because I got better results in certain situations by using a symlink.
> Its really a rather foolish question to ask.

You may consider it foolish to ask such questions to a fool, I don't.
Since as you state later that you've been programming for 35 years, you
should know by now that you have to live within the bounds of the
software or change that software.  If you're not willing to change or
just can't then you must live with the limitations.

> > Especially, if you plan to use the same tool to upgrade your
> > software.
>
> I had actually hoped that the tool might have gotten better
> in subsequent releases

Since the software is owned by the Cygwin community, and since the
support for Cygwin comes from volunteers, if you wait for some else in
the community to make the changes you desire, then it isn't going to
happen.  You're the one that wants the change.  The source is supplied.
Change it.

>, but I was careful to write a script
> to restore my configuration after running setup in case it
> idioticly destroyed it again.

Ah, a fallback plan.

> I've been programming for
> 35 years and I know how to deal with crap, but I don't have
> to like it or approve of it.

As already stated, if you don't like it, then create patches for
consideration.

> You of course can feel free
> to ignore this because I'm obviously a troublemaker with
> an attitude, but if you had any inner moral strength
> you would add this to your bug list.

I don't have a Cygwin bug list.  I don't even consider it a bug.  This
is a design consideration and it works as designed so how can it be a
bug.

Cheers,
Earnie.

* Re: setup
@ 2001-01-26  9:11 Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-26  9:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jqb; +Cc: cygwin

[Sorry for the duplicate.  I forgot to cc jqb@digisle.net]

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:06:28AM -0800, Jim Balter wrote:
>Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Jim Balter wrote:
>>>I have a symlink from /bin to /usr/bin.  Setup tells me that it is
>>>going to delete /usr/bin to put a directory there.  Aside from that
>>>being a dumb thing to do when it is already a symlink to a directory,
>>>there isn't even a cancel button on the popup.  Of course, if there
>>>were a cancel button, I suppose it would just exit the program like the
>>>cancel button on the download popup does, instead of going to the
>>>previous state like any *sensible* program would do.  I can't imagine
>>>that this thing goes through any sort of QA; certainly none of the QA
>>>engineers I know would allow this sort of user interface to pass.
>>
>>If *you* can do it better, then please *do*.  Submit a patch, complete
>>the assignment forms and your patch will be gratefully considered.  Oh,
>>and don't forget to have *your* QA engineers test it.
>
>In other words, you aren't really interested in user feedback or
>improving your creations.

It's not exactly Earnie's creation.  And, we do listen to user feedback but
this is a free software project.  You downloaded something at zero cost to
yourself.  You could consider actually donating more than snide remarks.

>> Especially, if you plan to use the same tool to upgrade your
>> software.
>
>I had actually hoped that the tool might have gotten better in
>subsequent releases, but I was careful to write a script to restore my
>configuration after running setup in case it idioticly destroyed it
>again.  I've been programming for 35 years and I know how to deal with
>crap, but I don't have to like it or approve of it.  You of course can
>feel free to ignore this because I'm obviously a troublemaker with an
>attitude, but if you had any inner moral strength you would add this to
>your bug list.  After all, that's the link I followed.

"moral strength"???  "programming for 35 years"???  Heh.

FYI, if you had presented your original problem in a more restrained
fashion you probably would have received a better response.  Instead you
resorted to sarcasm and inneuendo.  Are you really surprised at the
response you received?  I imagine that these are common tools in your
arsenal and that you have received this kind of response fairly
frequently in your illustrious 35 years of programming service.

Btw, labelling someone's ideas as "foolish" is also not going to win
you any supporters and is inappropriate for this mailing list.

Christopher Faylor
Cygwin Engineering Manager
Red Hat, Inc.

* Re: setup
@ 2001-01-26  8:33     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2001-01-26  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 08:06:28AM -0800, Jim Balter wrote:
>Earnie Boyd wrote:
>> Jim Balter wrote:
>>>I have a symlink from /bin to /usr/bin.  Setup tells me that it is
>>>going to delete /usr/bin to put a directory there.  Aside from that
>>>being a dumb thing to do when it is already a symlink to a directory,
>>>there isn't even a cancel button on the popup.  Of course, if there
>>>were a cancel button, I suppose it would just exit the program like the
>>>cancel button on the download popup does, instead of going to the
>>>previous state like any *sensible* program would do.  I can't imagine
>>>that this thing goes through any sort of QA; certainly none of the QA
>>>engineers I know would allow this sort of user interface to pass.
>>
>>If *you* can do it better, then please *do*.  Submit a patch, complete
>>the assignment forms and your patch will be gratefully considered.  Oh,
>>and don't forget to have *your* QA engineers test it.
>
>In other words, you aren't really interested in user feedback or
>improving your creations.

It's not exactly Earnie's creation.  And, we do listen to user feedback but
this is a free software project.  You downloaded something at zero cost to
yourself.  You could consider actually donating more than snide remarks.

>> Especially, if you plan to use the same tool to upgrade your
>> software.
>
>I had actually hoped that the tool might have gotten better in
>subsequent releases, but I was careful to write a script to restore my
>configuration after running setup in case it idioticly destroyed it
>again.  I've been programming for 35 years and I know how to deal with
>crap, but I don't have to like it or approve of it.  You of course can
>feel free to ignore this because I'm obviously a troublemaker with an
>attitude, but if you had any inner moral strength you would add this to
>your bug list.  After all, that's the link I followed.

"moral strength"???  "programming for 35 years"???  Heh.

FYI, if you had presented your original problem in a more restrained
fashion you probably would have received a better response.  Instead you
resorted to sarcasm and inneuendo.  Are you really surprised at the
response you received?  I imagine that these are common tools in your
arsenal and that have received this kind of response fairly frequently

@ 2001-01-26  8:06   ` Jim Balter
From: Jim Balter @ 2001-01-26  8:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Earnie Boyd

@ 2001-01-26  6:34 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2001-01-26  6:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jqb; +Cc: cygwin

> I have a symlink from /bin to /usr/bin.

Then don't use setup.  Sorry, we can't support nonstandard
installations.  There are a lot of things setup can't do, but that
keeps setup small and simple.  Once you start doing nonstandard
things, you lose your right to complain.

> I can't imagine that this thing goes through any sort of QA;

There is no QA.  We're all volunteers.  Are you volunteering to be QA?

> certainly none of the QA engineers I know would allow this sort of
> user interface to pass.

Actually, I passed it by a UI expert I know, and it passed.  If you'd
like to demonstrate your credentials I can compare them to his to see
who I should believe.

* Re: setup
@ 2001-01-26  6:02 ` Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2001-01-26  6:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jim Balter; +Cc: cygwin

Jim Balter wrote:

> I have a symlink from /bin to /usr/bin.
> Setup tells me that it is going to delete /usr/bin to
> put a directory there.  Aside from that being a dumb
> thing to do when it is already a symlink to a directory,
> there isn't even a cancel button on the popup.  Of course,
> if there were a cancel button, I suppose it would just
> exit the program like the cancel button on the download
> popup does, instead of going to the previous state
> like any *sensible* program would do.  I can't imagine that
> this thing goes through any sort of QA; certainly none of
> the QA engineers I know would allow this sort of user interface
> to pass.

If *you* can do it better, then please *do*.  Submit a patch, complete
the assignment forms and your patch will be gratefully considered.  Oh,
and don't forget to have *your* QA engineers test it.

That aside, why would you change the way setup installed it in the first
place?  Especially, if you plan to use the same tool to upgrade your
software.

Earnie.

* setup
@ 2001-01-26  0:52 Jim Balter
From: Jim Balter @ 2001-01-26  0:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2000-09-13 10:42 ` DJ Delorie
From: DJ Delorie @ 2000-09-13 10:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mike.omelia; +Cc: cygwin

> I am having a bit of trouble understanding how Setup works. The first time I
> used it, (downloading from the Internet), it created two subdirectories,
> latest and contrib.  "Latest" had a whole bunch of directories in it.
> Today, I ran it again (I renamed the previous directories so they would not
> be overwritten) and it created the same directories again, but "latest" only
> contained 4 subdirectories (ash,inetutils,cygwin,make)

Those directories are merely a cache.  The second time you ran setup,
it only needed to *install* a few packages, so it only downloaded
those few packages.

You do not need to move those directories out of the way; letting
setup reuse them each time is more efficient.

* setup
@ 2000-09-13  7:13 Michael O'Melia
From: Michael O'Melia @ 2000-09-13  7:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello,

I am having a bit of trouble understanding how Setup works. The first time I
used it, (downloading from the Internet), it created two subdirectories,
latest and contrib.  "Latest" had a whole bunch of directories in it.
Today, I ran it again (I renamed the previous directories so they would not
be overwritten) and it created the same directories again, but "latest" only
contained 4 subdirectories (ash,inetutils,cygwin,make)

Can someone help me understand this?

Thankyou!

Mike