* RE: a try at killall
@ 2003-11-10  9:37 Jörg Schaible
From: Jörg Schaible @ 2003-11-10  9:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: CygWin

Lapo Luchini wrote on Sunday, November 09, 2003 7:06 PM:
> Vince Hoffman wrote:
>>> Not complete, but usually works for me 0=)
>>>
>>> $ cat /usr/local/bin/killall
>>> #!/bin/sh
>>> ps -s | sed -re "/$1$/s/^ +([0-9]+).*$/\1/;t fine;d;:fine" | xargs
>>> kill $2 $3 $4
>>>

>> Any reason not to just use pkill ? (from procps package)
>> (I found it after writing a similar script for solaris. )
>>
> And I already had it installed, too!

Me, too. But your version can be enhanced to use ps with -W, while pkill cannot handle Windows processes at all. And I have to use an application, that leavs behind a dangling Java process ...

:)

--
Jörg

* Re: a try at killall
@ 2003-11-11 10:02 ` Linda W.
From: Linda W. @ 2003-11-11 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Lapo Luchini; +Cc: CygWin

If your system is bogged down, the cygwin command overhead could slow things
down alot.

A single command replacement:
/c/Program Files/Sysinternals> psexec

PsExec v1.31 - execute processes remotely
Copyright (C) 2001-2002 Mark Russinovich
www.sysinternals.com

PsExec executes a program on a remote system, where remotely executed
console
applications execute interactively.

Usage: psexec \\computer [-u user [-p psswd]][-s][-i][-c [-f]][-d] cmd
[argument
s]
     -u         Specifies optional user name for login to remote
                computer.
     -p         Specifies optional password for user name. If you omit this
                you will be prompted to enter a hidden password.
     -s         Run the remote process in the System account.
     -i         Run the program so that it interacts with the desktop on the
                remote system.
     -c         Copy the specified program to the remote system for
                execution. If you omit this option the application
                must be in the system path on the remote system.
     -f         Copy the specified program even if the file already
                exists on the remote system.
     -d         Don't wait for process to terminate (non-interactive).
     program    Name of application to execute.
     arguments  Arguments to pass (note that file paths must be
                absolute paths on the target system).

You can enclose applications that have spaces in their name with
quotation marks e.g. psexec \\marklap "c:\long name app.exe".
Input is only passed to the remote system when you press the enter
key, and typing Ctrl-C terminates the remote process.

If you omit a user name the process will run in the context of your
account on the remote system, but will not have access to network
resources (because it is impersonating). Specify a valid user name
in the Domain\User syntax if the remote process requires access
to network resources or to run in a different account. Note that
the password is transmitted in clear text to the remote system.

/c/Program Files/Sysinternals> pskill

PsKill v1.03 - local and remote process killer
Copyright (C) 2000 Mark Russinovich
http://www.sysinternals.com

PsKill terminates processes on a local or remote NT system.

Usage: C:\Program Files\Sysinternals\pskill.exe [\\RemoteComputer [-u
Username]]
 <process Id or name>
     -u    Specifies optional user name for login to
           remote computer.

/c/Program Files/Sysinternals> pskill SecureCRT

PsKill v1.03 - local and remote process killer
Copyright (C) 2000 Mark Russinovich
http://www.sysinternals.com
/c/Program Files/Sysinternals>
3 processes named SecureCRT killed.

/c/Program Files/Sysinternals>

----------
    You could always rename it "killall.exe" if that suites your
fancy...  Doesn't
take a signal number though....

-linda

Lapo Luchini wrote:

> Not complete, but usually works for me 0=)
>
> $ cat /usr/local/bin/killall
> #!/bin/sh
> ps -s | sed -re "/$1$/s/^ +([0-9]+).*$/\1/;t fine;d;:fine" | xargs
> kill $2 $3 $4

* Re: a try at killall
@ 2003-11-09 18:06   ` Lapo Luchini
From: Lapo Luchini @ 2003-11-09 18:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vince Hoffman; +Cc: CygWin

Vince Hoffman wrote:

>>Not complete, but usually works for me 0=)
>>
>>$ cat /usr/local/bin/killall
>>#!/bin/sh
>>ps -s | sed -re "/$1$/s/^ +([0-9]+).*$/\1/;t fine;d;:fine" | xargs kill
>>$2 $3 $4
>>

>Any reason not to just use pkill ? (from procps package)
>(I found it after writing a similar script for solaris. )

And I already had it installed, too!

-_-!!!!!!!!!!!

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)

* Re: a try at killall
@ 2003-11-09 13:29 ` Vince Hoffman
From: Vince Hoffman @ 2003-11-09 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Not complete, but usually works for me 0=)
>
> $ cat /usr/local/bin/killall
> #!/bin/sh
> ps -s | sed -re "/$1$/s/^ +([0-9]+).*$/\1/;t fine;d;:fine" | xargs kill
> $2 $3 $4

Any reason not to just use pkill ? (from procps package)
(I found it after writing a similar script for solaris. )

> --
> Lapo 'Raist' Luchini
> lapo@lapo.it (PGP & X.509 keys available)
> http://www.lapo.it (ICQ UIN: 529796)