* Reg: RSH deamon on cygwin
@ 2008-07-04  9:36 Manjunatha Appaji Gowda
From: Manjunatha Appaji Gowda @ 2008-07-04  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All,

Is it possible to configure RSH daemon running on cygwin, so that we can
connect from Linux machine to cygwin prompt using RSH. If yes please let
me know the steps.

Thanks
Manjunath A.

* Re: Reg: RSH deamon on cygwin
@ 2008-07-04  9:56 ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-07-04  9:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Jul  4 15:05, Manjunatha Appaji Gowda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to configure RSH daemon running on cygwin, so that we can
> connect from Linux machine to cygwin prompt using RSH. If yes please let
> me know the steps.

You should consider to use ssh instead.  rsh is an inherently insecure
protocol.  Just install the openssh package using Cygwin setup and
follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.

Corinna

Red Hat

* RE: Reg: RSH deamon on cygwin
@ 2008-07-04 10:08   ` Manjunatha Appaji Gowda
From: Manjunatha Appaji Gowda @ 2008-07-04 10:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

That's k, but we need to use RSH on cygwin for some project, please
suggest me some documentation or steps.

Thanks
Manjunath A

@ 2008-07-04 11:54   ` Manjunatha Appaji Gowda
From: Manjunatha Appaji Gowda @ 2008-07-04 11:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2008-07-04 12:02     ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 2008-07-04 12:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#TOFU

http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PCYMTNQREAIYR

http://cygwin.com/cgi-bin2/package-grep.cgi?grep=rshd
Instructions are in the package's readme file.

Corinna

Red Hat

* Re: Reg: RSH deamon on cygwin
@ 2008-09-06  0:48   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 2008-09-06  0:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Manjunatha Appaji Gowda wrote:
> I configured the rsh on cygwin as per the /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README/
>
> On Jul  4 15:05, Manjunatha Appaji Gowda wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> Is it possible to configure RSH daemon running on cygwin, so that we can
>> connect from Linux machine to cygwin prompt using RSH. If yes please let
>> me know the steps.
>
> You should consider to use ssh instead.  rsh is an inherently insecure
> protocol.  Just install the openssh package using Cygwin setup and
> follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.

I echo Corinna's suggestion to use openssh instead. But, if you choose
to continue with rsh, I suggest upgrading to inetutils-1.5-X, which has
seen a number of changes, as well as improved documentation for setting
it up on cygwin.

--
Chuck

* RE:  Reg: RSH deamon on cygwin
       [not found] <E790561706404C4F9A35E1A48F683AFD132B559D@IN01WEMBX1.internal.synopsys.com>
@ 2008-09-05 13:17 ` Manjunatha Appaji Gowda
From: Manjunatha Appaji Gowda @ 2008-09-05 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi all,

I configured the rsh on cygwin as per the /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/inetutils-1.3.2.README/

But whenever I am trying to execute some commands from the remote machine I will get the permission denied error

Something like in below

[amanju@rhel4 ~]$ rsh -l peter windowsmachine uname

Permission denied.

Please help me on this

Thanks
Manjunath A

On Jul  4 15:05, Manjunatha Appaji Gowda wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Is it possible to configure RSH daemon running on cygwin, so that we can
> connect from Linux machine to cygwin prompt using RSH. If yes please let
> me know the steps.

You should consider to use ssh instead.  rsh is an inherently insecure
protocol.  Just install the openssh package using Cygwin setup and
follow the instructions in /usr/share/doc/Cygwin/openssh.README.

Corinna

--
Corinna Vinschen                  Please, send mails regarding Cygwin to
Cygwin Project Co-Leader          cygwin AT cygwin DOT com