* Setup Program
@ 2001-04-18  7:41 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-04-18  7:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi All...

Next time anyone is working on Setup.exe...

I usually use Setup.exe (with download from internet) to maintain a local
copy of the CygWin files and then do a local install to multiple machines.
This works fine, but I noticed that Setup.exe does not remove old files from
the local directory when it downloads new updates. If there are several
changes, I just delete my local directory and re-download, but this is extra
traffic for the mirror. Perhaps Setup.exe could delete the old files when it
downloads new ones.

Thanks,

...Karl

* Setup program
@ 2001-05-26 14:34 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-05-26 14:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi...

I just used the new setup to download from the internet to my local cygwin
download directory. I had first deleted all files in this local directory
before running setup. Setup told me that there was nothing I needed to do. I
think that setup was looking at my c:\cygwin directory and saw that
everything was up to date.

But this is wrong...when I am dowmloading from the internet, setup should
look at the files in the download directory not my install. I download to a
directory and then install on other machines from there.

So for download from the internet, setup should only look at the packages in
the download directory.

-------------------------

Also, when I ran the new setup to install from a local directory, it
displayed the version numbers of the packages, but not the names.

Thanks,

...Karl

* Re: Setup program
@ 2001-05-26 14:40 Karl M
From: Karl M @ 2001-05-26 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

>From: "Karl M" <karlm30@hotmail.com>
>To: karlm30@hotmail.com
>Subject: Re: Setup program
>Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 14:39:42 -0700
>
>Hi All...
>
>I was wrong, setup is displaying the package names. They were just cut off
>in the little window. Could you please make the little window a little
>bigger.
>
>I guess this is a little request. :)
>
>Thanks,
>
>...Karl
>
>>From: "Karl M" <karlm30@hotmail.com>
>>To: cygwin@cygwin.com
>>Subject: Setup program
>>Date: Sat, 26 May 2001 14:34:03 -0700
>>
>>Hi...
>>
>>I just used the new setup to download from the internet to my local cygwin
>>download directory. I had first deleted all files in this local directory
>>before running setup. Setup told me that there was nothing I needed to do.
>>think that setup was looking at my c:\cygwin directory and saw that
>>everything was up to date.
>>
>>But this is wrong...when I am dowmloading from the internet, setup should
>>look at the files in the download directory not my install. I download to
>>directory and then install on other machines from there.
>>
>>So for download from the internet, setup should only look at the packages
>>in
>>the download directory.
>>
>>-------------------------
>>
>>Also, when I ran the new setup to install from a local directory, it
>>displayed the version numbers of the packages, but not the names.
>>
>>Thanks,
>>
>>...Karl

* FW: Setup program
@ 2001-05-26 22:45 Bobby McNulty
From: Bobby McNulty @ 2001-05-26 22:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
From: Laurence F. Wood @ 2002-02-07 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Cygwin@Cygwin. Com

After reading the FAQ again I see that the setup program is not capable of
installing everything at once.  However, I would like to email some
suggestions to the microsoft engineer that developed the program.  Could
someone provide his/her email address.

Thanks.