* Re: Big Performance issue with cygwin 1.3.10 on Win2k - Urgent help reqd!
@ 2002-05-30  5:42 Johnny D
From: Johnny D @ 2002-05-30  5:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Thanks Chris, for the pointers. I looked at some of the recent archives but
couldnt find things that were specifically useful for my problem. I am
reposting my issue for convenience.

Regards
-Johnny

----------
I am not sure when this bug might have been introduced. I have an app which
deals with multiple socket descriptors for reads and writes. It uses the
select() function call from cygwin library. I took the same source code -
compiled it with a newer installaion  of Cygwin (1.3.10 based). I see that
the select call seems to be getting stuck at points and so the performance
of my server has dropped thru the floor.
I dont have an older installation currently that I can use and I couldnt
figure out how to get an older version of your package from the cygwin
website. I urgently need to get this resolved. Prefer to have the complete
Cygwin package dating close to Dec 2000 (whcih is the last best known
version of Cygwin that is known to work fine for me). Can someone point me
to the right location from which I can install the same?

Or if this is a known issue, does anyone have a patch I could use?

Thanks
-Johnny

@ 2002-06-08  4:39       ` Russ Jorgensen
From: Russ Jorgensen @ 2002-06-08  4:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc), Randall R Schulz, cygwin

Thanks for the input, everyone.  I'm somewhat
embarrassed to admit that I hadn't tried this test on
other machines, and when I did, I got similar results
to everyone else.

I tried re-installing cygwin1.dll and bash, but it
didn't have any effect.

In general my machine performs very well, so I don't
think there's a hardware problem, or anything.  It's
really weird, because "regular" pipes work fine.

I guess I'll try to re-install cygwin from scratch and
cross my fingers.  If I'm ever able to isolate the
problem, I'll let everyone know, just in case you're
curious.

Thanks again.

    -Russ

--- "Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" <lhall@rfk.com>

@ 2002-06-06  9:22   ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-06-06  9:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Jorgensen, cygwin

On Windows ME, with the latest cygwin1.dll compiled from cvs, I get:
$ time ./test.sh 1

real    0m0.984s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

root@DRAGON /usr/src
$ time ./test.sh 2

real    0m3.194s
user    0m0.000s
sys     0m0.000s

So I agree with Larry and Randall on that point.  However, I have noticed,
during "./configure" sessions that when it gets to:

checking the maximum length of command line arguments...

The machine starts getting slower and slower, freezing for 10 seconds at
times.  The entire process at that one step takes ~45 seconds.  On a linux
box, it takes only 5-6 secs.  On 1.3.10, this step usually takes at most
15 seconds.  Sometimes, like when I am configuring gcc for a build, it
will crap out completely, complaining about being unable to fork.  This
has happened consistently with the later cvs builds of cygwin over the
last 2 months.  I have reinstalled cygwin on many occassions, so I know
that it is related to a "bad installation" as the problem is reproducable
every time.  In the next example, I use gcc-3.1 as a test subject, though
let me be clear that it always happens when that line shows up, regardless
of what application I am building.  If you want to see for yourself on
windows Me, try:

1)Install a fresh, "full" install of cygwin to the box
2)Build and install the latest cygwin dll and tools from cvs
3)Checkout the 3.1 tree from gcc cvs server
4)Run a vanilla configuration
5)Observe what happens on that line...

Of course, it might just be time for me to reinstall windows me, but
perhaps someone can confirm/deny my observations on another install of
windows me.

Cheers,
Nicholas

@ 2002-06-06  7:30     ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-06-06  7:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, Russ Jorgensen, cygwin

@ 2002-06-06  1:34   ` Randall R Schulz
From: Randall R Schulz @ 2002-06-06  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russ Jorgensen, cygwin

       [not found] <1022769047.11820.ezmlm@cygwin.com>
@ 2002-06-06  1:32 ` Russ Jorgensen
From: Russ Jorgensen @ 2002-06-06  1:32 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-05-30 18:51 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-30 18:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny D, cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii", Size: 3977 bytes --]

Hi Johnny,

Hm, I guess this doesn't leave many options beyond building a debug DLL and
debugging it.  As I mentioned before, it's unlikely that there are archives
out there with old Cygwin DLLs.  That's generally discouraged by this list
since it usually leads to all sort of headaches for this list and the people
who use the previous versions.  But obviously I can't stop you from looking
for one of these sites any more than I can keep you from using an older
Cygwin DLL.

You're sure the problem is the Cygwin DLL and not some other "tweak" you
made to your system?  Are you running virus software?  Does it make a
difference if that's off?  No sense in chasing after Cygwin issues if the
problem could lie elsewhere, right?

@ 2002-05-30 17:58 Johnny D
From: Johnny D @ 2002-05-30 17:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: lhall, cygwin

@ 2002-05-30 10:02 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-30 10:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny D, cygwin

@ 2002-05-30  4:58 Johnny D
From: Johnny D @ 2002-05-30  4:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] <F24FHzo77HUiDOb9ysm00011a18@hotmail.com>
@ 2002-05-30  4:55 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-05-30  4:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Johnny D; +Cc: cygwin

Please check out the project web page for links to available information
and ports:  http://cygwin.com/ .

If you don't see what you need there, then the cygwin mailing list is
the best place to make observations or get questions answered.