* Windows 2000: "WARNING: terminal is not fully functional" and problems with vi
@ 2001-08-31  6:59 Schmiederer, John (CRD)
From: Schmiederer, John (CRD) @ 2001-08-31  6:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

	As of a couple days ago, my cygwin terminal has been acting up.  Whenever I use the 'less'
command I get the warning that my terminal is not fully functional.  When I use vi, the cursor never
moves from the top left corner.  I can type the command to go to line five and then insert or delete
characters, but I can't see my self doing it.  Also, the colors for vi variables and comments and
everything else changed.
	I first noticed the problem after I installed both Matlab and Rational Rose software.  I have
tried uninstalling, and reinstalling cygwin, but I still get the same error.  I have also included
the output of 'cygcheck -s -v -r'.

> g  GE Corporate Research & Development
ggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg
gggggggggggggggg
John Schmiederer
Computer Scientist
Information Technology Training Program
Phone: 518-387-5243
Building K1-5B42A

* Re: Windows 2000: "WARNING: terminal is not fully functional" and pro blems with vi
@ 2001-08-31  7:12 ` Mark Paulus
From: Mark Paulus @ 2001-08-31  7:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Where did you include the cygcheck output?  (If it's an attachment, it didn't make
it through...)

A couple of things to check.  What is the value of $TERM?  You can check this either
doing an 'echo $TERM', or doing an 'infocmp'.
What are the first couple of lines of output from the 'infocmp' command?
(Mine looks like this:
#       Reconstructed via infocmp from file: /usr/share/terminfo/c/cygwin
cygwin|ansi emulation for Cygwin,

It sounds like you either have a funky terminal type set, or your aren't finding
your terminfo database.  'infocmp' will help you determine that....

@ 2001-08-31  7:23 ` Nick Drage
From: Nick Drage @ 2001-08-31  7:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Aug 31, 2001 at 09:59:04AM -0400, Schmiederer, John (CRD) wrote:
> 	As of a couple days ago, my cygwin terminal has been acting up.
> Whenever I use the 'less' command I get the warning that my terminal is
> not fully functional.  When I use vi, the cursor never moves from the top
> left corner.  I can type the command to go to line five and then insert or
> delete characters, but I can't see my self doing it.  Also, the colors for
> vi variables and comments and everything else changed.

What do you get from the output of

echo $TERM

?

If it doesn't come back with