* RE: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01 16:04 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-01 16:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Randall R Schulz; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

Yes - federation is good. RPM and .deb achieved this a long time ago...
And now we do to :].

Rob

* RE: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01 16:02 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Randall R Schulz, Charles Wilson; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

Ctrl-click or shift-click in the setup mirror site list.

> Furthermore, why doesn't the multi-mirror technique, however
> effected, work
> for separated download and install, too?

It does.

From: Robert Collins @ 2002-03-01 16:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Charles Wilson, Randall R Schulz; +Cc: Markus Hoenicka, cygwin

"Download from internet" mode does perform this merging, and the install
from local directory grabs all the found .ini files, and then performs
the same merging. So no loss of functionality.

Rob

* RE: "local install"?
@ 2002-03-01  7:47 Mark Sheppard
From: Mark Sheppard @ 2002-03-01  7:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'Markus Hoenicka', Randall R Schulz, cygwin

Surely if you were bothering to make a CD you'd want to include
everything anyway, thus you wouldn't need dependency checking.

Mark.

From: Toni Mueller @ 2002-03-01  2:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: support

Hello,

after reading the docs on the web site and searching the list archive
on MARC a bit, there appears to be no "supported" way to install while
being offline. Eg. I will soon have a W2k box that I want to install on,
but certainly won't connect this box to the Internet to do it.

So my current guess is that I can download some stuff using eg. my Linux
workstation, put them on CD and then move the CD to the W2k box for
local installation there. Can anyone please confirm that? Can anyone
please tell me which version of setup.exe I should get to be able to
install from a local directory?

(Apart from that I always thought that doing online-installs is both
error-prone and insecure in most cases, and in general, a M$ disease -
why does RedHat do it?)

TIA!

Best,
--Toni++