* RE: Setup as recommended reading
@ 2002-05-27  2:01 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-27  2:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicholas Wourms, cygwin

Yes. In fact both rpm and have been -partially- ported to cygwin. AFAIK
neither has been converted to deal with in-use-file-replacements, which
is a required capability to be a cygwin-linked installer (for somewhat
obvious reasons).

> Be that as it may, it will still be much time before this is
> implimented, IF it is implemented.  So let Rob actually
> perfect what he has before asking for heaps of new features.
> IMHO, setup seems to be working nicely for the most part,
> minus a few bugs here and there.  I honestly think there are
> more critical issues to focus on then the "fluff" of UI, such
> as getting a fast, stable SysV IPC system integrated into
> cygwin and releasing an updated binutils with better dynamic
> library capabilities.
> Feel free to disagree....

The installer is fairly complete. Howeever I really want to make it easy
for maintainers, so allowing the use of the debian build tools, or the
rpm build tools is a high priority. Otherwise the maintainers here will,
by necessity, end up inventing the wheel.
Rob

* Re: Setup as recommended reading
@ 2002-05-27  6:24     ` Jim.George
From: Jim.George @ 2002-05-27  6:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc); +Cc: jim.george, cygwin

On Sat, 25 May 2002, Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) wrote:

> At 11:55 AM 5/25/2002, Jim.George wrote:
<snip>

> >Another cool option might be to have setup automatically display _all_
> >packages that are either new or updated?
>

> Yes, that has been suggested before.  Interested in supplying a patch to
> do this?

This is where I always come unstuck ;) Lack of skills/time I'm afraid.

I'd rather try to improve on something less core to Cygwin.

Jim

* RE: Setup as recommended reading
@ 2002-05-26 18:19 ` Nicholas Wourms
From: Nicholas Wourms @ 2002-05-26 18:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Collins, cygwin

[-- Attachment #1: Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii, Size: 3806 bytes --]

[...]

Cheers,
Nicholas

@ 2002-05-26 13:47 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-26 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-05-26 12:13   ` René Møller Fonseca
From: René Møller Fonseca @ 2002-05-26 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 2002-05-26 12:11 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-26 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Brian Gallew; +Cc: jim.george, cygwin

That's a workaround that requires ~ the same effort as storing all the
package data.

Rob

@ 2002-05-26 11:57 ` Brian Gallew
From: Brian Gallew @ 2002-05-26 11:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: robert.collins; +Cc: jim.george, cygwin

@ 2002-05-26  9:05 Dockeen
From: Dockeen @ 2002-05-26  9:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

There is a motivation in my recommendation that
goes beyond what's new.

A few months ago, in a discussion with a new user,
he pointed out that as his needs and requirements
evolved, and he needed something he wasn't using
previously in Cygwin, he was suprised at how often,
he found, like the commercial says "its in there".

and...

How often are there posts from users who "thought
they installed everything", only to have to be told
to go back and open category x and install what they
wanted.

I'm probably weird, but I don't see a problem with
respect to how setup works in this respect.

Wayne Keen

p.s. I am still also pushing the notion of the archives
as an at least daily read.  If I keep learning at this
rate, in a few decades, I might even be able to contribute!

* RE: Setup as recommended reading
@ 2002-05-26  8:59 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-26  8:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim.george, cygwin

@ 2002-05-26  6:30 Robert Collins
From: Robert Collins @ 2002-05-26  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Setup will automatically select for update all packages that are:
((in 'base' or 'misc') OR installed) AND (have a newer version available
in the same trust level as the choose is set to).

As for listing new packages vs seelcting them for update, setup doesn't
have that capability. It's a perfect job for a setup-code-base sharing
cygwin tool though.

Rob

@ 2002-05-26  5:20     ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-05-26  5:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] ` <Pine.CYG.4.44.0205251652540.1876-100000@gateway.GEORGE.CO. UK>
@ 2002-05-26  0:58   ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-26  0:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jim.george, cygwin

@ 2002-05-26  0:55 ` Jim.George
       [not found] ` <Pine.CYG.4.44.0205251652540.1876-100000@gateway.GEORGE.CO. UK>
From: Jim.George @ 2002-05-26  0:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

       [not found] <30C9E24891FFD411B68A009027724CB74433DD@eg-002-015.eglin.af .mil>
@ 2002-05-22 11:55 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2002-05-22 11:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG, 'cygwin@cygwin.com'

At 10:08 AM 5/22/2002, Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG wrote:
>In wake of several questions about whether something is in Cygwin, I would
>like
>to throw a simple suggestion out for the community.
>
>When you run setup, and you get to the screen that allows you to select what
>
>you want to install, take a minute to click open the categories and see
>whats
>in them.  It helps keep me current on whats in Cygwin, and, on occasion, I
>find
>something new that is marked skip that I want to have.

A reasonable suggestion.  The list of packages that setup will install is
always available at http://cygwin.com/packages/ as well.  This is a
searchable list that allows you to look for the package that contains your
favorite utility, in case you don't know what package that utility would
be in.  Both of these methods are the best tools for determining what's
available from www.cygwin.com.

* Setup as recommended reading
@ 2002-05-22  9:31 Keen Wayne A Contr AFRL/MNGG
       [not found] ` <Pine.CYG.4.44.0205251652540.1876-100000@gateway.GEORGE.CO. UK>