* Getting Past 'command not found'
@ 2000-08-18  3:00 Gordon.Baillie
From: Gordon.Baillie @ 2000-08-18  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin; +Cc: Stephen.Barrett, Khalid.Ishaq, Simon.Walker

Dear CYGNUS,

I am trying to run build a cygwin bash environment on '98 as a prerequisite to
building a sqsh for Sybase environment. However I not got far, so this is
probably a straight forward configuration issue.

So far I have followed the cygwin users guide, got SHELL.../e:4096 /p  working
but as yet as I cannot get mkdir to work. (I get similar results under NT).
This is what I get when I start cygwin.bat:-

BASH.EXE: id: command not found
gbaillie@NO1 ~
$ mkdir
BASH.EXE: mkdir: command not found

My directories look like this:-

D:/cygwin
              /bin
              /etc
                   /setup
              /home
                      /gbaillie
              /lib
                  /ld/scripts
              /tmp
              /usr
                   /many sub directories
              /var
                   /tmp
                   /run

cygwin.bat looks like this:-
@echo off
d:
chdir \cygwin\bin
set CYGHOME=//d/cygwin
set HOME=%CYGHOME%/home/gbaillie
set SHELL=//d/cygwin/bin/bash
set LIBRARY_PATH=//d/cygwin/lib
SET MAKE_MODE=unix
SET PATH=D:\cygwin\bin;D:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;%PATH%

bash --login -i

My .profile shows confusion about whether to use SET or EXPORT for PATH and
what does cygdrive mean?:-
$ cat .profile
set PATH=//d/cygwin/bin:.
export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/windows:.
unset MAILCHECK
set SHELL=//d/cygwin/bin/bash

output from mount looks like this:-
$ mount
Device              Directory           Type         Flags
d:\cygwin\bin       /bin                user         textmode
d:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         textmode
d:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         textmode
d:\cygwin           /                   user         textmode

So currently I can do cd, pwd, mount, echo and cat, but NOT mkdir, ls, bash
info, awk and cron. Help with  "command not found" would be gratefully received.

Thanks,
        Gordon

* RE: Getting Past 'command not found'
@ 2000-10-18  4:27 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-10-18  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordon.Baillie, PHarper; +Cc: cygwin users

Hi Paul and Gordon.  I'm also posting my response to this in the Cygwin list.

--- Gordon.Baillie@citicorp.com wrote:
> Paul,
>  thanks. I had a similar experience in going to multiple sites - each one
> being
> able to download something that had not come across before. I still don't
> know
> if I have a complete set. Originally we were looking at this product because
> 'sqsh' (a database client tool normaly resident in UNIX) was supported on NT
> via cygwin, but we are having cold feet for . I was also trying it on '98 but
>
> it refused to recognise the '|' character.

Gordon, please don't blame the Cygwin product for bad internet experiences.
There are a lot of bytes to download and that is just one of the reasons we've
modularized the distribution.  Cygwin is a very stable product.  I've been
using it for the past 3.8 years and use it daily.  I know of no reason for you
to have "cold feet" about using Cygwin.  As for the '|' character, perhaps this
thread from the archives can be of some help,
http://www.egroups.com/message/gnu-win32/27970 .

Cheers,
Earnie.

> Regards,
>  Gordon

Paul, I'm glad you're able to successfully use Cygwin for your project.  As for
opengl there were some problems with the packaging that have since been
corrected.

Cheers,

=====
Earnie Boyd
mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com

---         < http://earniesystems.safeshopper.com >         ---
--- Cygwin: POSIX on Windows < http://gw32.freeyellow.com/ > ---
---   Minimalist GNU for Windows < http://www.mingw.org/ >   ---

* Re: Getting Past 'command not found'
@ 2000-08-18  5:21 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-08-18  5:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gordon.Baillie, cygwin; +Cc: Stephen.Barrett, Khalid.Ishaq, Simon.Walker

--- Gordon.Baillie@citicorp.com wrote:

> My directories look like this:-
>
> D:/cygwin
>               /bin
>               /etc
>                    /setup
>               /home
>                       /gbaillie
>               /lib
>                   /ld/scripts
>               /tmp
>               /usr
>                    /many sub directories
>               /var
>                    /tmp
>                    /run
>
> cygwin.bat looks like this:-
> @echo off
> d:
> chdir \cygwin\bin
> set CYGHOME=//d/cygwin

Due to other changes below you can delete this line.

> set HOME=%CYGHOME%/home/gbaillie

Change this to `set HOME=/home/gbaillie'.

> set SHELL=//d/cygwin/bin/bash

If you want your batch shell to be bash this should be `set SHELL=/bin/bash'
but I suggest removing this.

> set LIBRARY_PATH=//d/cygwin/lib

If you need this variable, which I doubt that you do, the change this line to
`set LIBRARY_PATH=/lib'

> SET MAKE_MODE=unix
> SET PATH=D:\cygwin\bin;D:\cygwin\usr\local\bin;%PATH%
>
> bash --login -i
>
> My .profile shows confusion about whether to use SET or EXPORT for PATH and
> what does cygdrive mean?:-
> $ cat .profile
> set PATH=//d/cygwin/bin:.

This won't do anything.  Delete it.

> export PATH=/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/windows:.

Since you've set it in the batch file above you could remove this.

> unset MAILCHECK
> set SHELL=//d/cygwin/bin/bash

The syntax is wrong.  You could delete this line or change it to `export
SHELL=/bin/bash'.

> output from mount looks like this:-
> $ mount
> Device              Directory           Type         Flags
> d:\cygwin\bin       /bin                user         textmode
> d:\cygwin\bin       /usr/bin            user         textmode
> d:\cygwin\lib       /usr/lib            user         textmode
> d:\cygwin           /                   user         textmode

You need to `umount /bin'.

> So currently I can do cd, pwd, mount, echo and cat, but NOT mkdir, ls, bash
> info, awk and cron. Help with  "command not found" would be gratefully
> received.

You're environment settings have most likely confused Cygwin.

Cheers,

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >