* multiple errors with man
@ 2002-07-09  8:49 Daniel Giron
From: Daniel Giron @ 2002-07-09  8:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,
Someone has already mentioned funny characters in man on the mailing list,
and I encountered it as well. Example:

$ man sdiff

gzip: /usr/man/cat1/sdiff.1.gz: invalid compressed data--crc error

gzip: /usr/man/cat1/sdiff.1.gz: invalid compressed data--length error

Some man pages work flawlessly, some crap out with these messages and
others, and others work without errors, but they're unreadable as well. I've
been getting these errors under cmd.exe, sh and bash. Is there any
workaround or new feature that solves this, or do the man pages themselves
need fixing?

Thanks,

Daniel

* RE: multiple errors with man
@ 2002-07-09 15:48 ` Bernard A Badger
From: Bernard A Badger @ 2002-07-09 15:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Daniel Giron, cygwin

The /usr/man/cat1/*.gz files are "cached" versions of the /usr/man/man1/ files.
They print out faster, since the formatting has already been done.
They may be removed, and will be regenerated from the /usr/man/man1 files.

(Just to check that there aren't any non-matching files, do this:

To check that all /usr/man/cat1/*.gz files correspond to
non-null /usr/man/man1 files:

cd /usr/man/cat1
for fi in *.gz
do
[[ -s /usr/man/man1/${fi%.gz} ]] || ls -l /usr/man/man1/${fi%.*} $fi
done

)
If anything pops up, investigate it before removing.

Or you can remove all matching files with:
cd /usr/man/cat1
for fi in *.gz
do
[[ -s /usr/man/man1/${fi%.gz} ]] && rm $fi
done