* Apache/PHP Problem:CLOSE_WAIT sockets
@ 2001-10-20  7:40 Alvin Ng
From: Alvin Ng @ 2001-10-20  7:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

I'm using the Apache + PHP setup on Cygwin, which was self compiled. The
plain HTML stuff that apache serves out seem to be ok, but anything
involving PHP talking to PGSQL via TCP will run properly, but the port that
served the PHP page will have a CLOSE_WAIT state after that. After a while
of continuous operation the CLOSE_WAIT state ports stacks up.

Shutting down the Apache server also generates this in the logs:

----------
$ tail -f /usr/local/apache/logs/error_log
[Sat Oct 20 22:14:51 2001] [warn] child process 1000 still did not exit,
sending
a SIGTERM
[Sat Oct 20 22:14:51 2001] [warn] child process 1136 still did not exit,
sending
a SIGTERM

[snip]----

Apache 1.3.22
PHP 4.0.6
Postgres(default Cygwin install)

Does anyone have the same problem running a setup like this under Cygwin? Or
should I stick to the windows installers? Please advise.

-Alvin

* Re: Apache/PHP Problem:CLOSE_WAIT sockets
@ 2001-10-22  8:33 Alvin Ng
From: Alvin Ng @ 2001-10-22  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: tolj; +Cc: cygwin

>First of all, which cygwin version are you running?

I'm running on Cygwin 1.3.3, I usually update it to the lastest version.

>Does that meen the php script runs forever and does not output
>anything?

Tested like this:
gets HTML page from Apache : OK( Port closes)
gets plain PHP page from Apache: OK( Port closes)
gets simple PHP script that outputs PGSQL data (script outputs as
expected): CLOSE_WAIT

  The script executes the pgClose(database); statement.

>How did you see about CLOSE_WAIT states in sockets?
I did a netstat and also used a tool called ActivePorts from Smartline to
monitor the connections(the tool reports the process that is currently using
the port)

I installed the non-cgywin Win32 Apache from Apache Group and the win32 PHP
from php.net. Seems like there is no problem in this case, even when PHP
script is talking to the Cygwin PGSQL.

Anymore information needed?

-Alvin

@ 2001-10-24  8:33 Alvin Ng
From: Alvin Ng @ 2001-10-24  8:33 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I'll see if I have the time to build a debugging version of Apache. I'm kind
of doing this 4-8 hours a week so I may not have the resource to do so.

I'm not even sure where the error is coming from(PHP or Apache or Postgres).

I took the easy way out I guess :)

-Alvin