* Re: Tcl/Tk wish shell execution problem under bash
@ 2003-09-18 13:16 Jeff Russell
From: Jeff Russell @ 2003-09-18 13:16 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Andrew DeFaria asked:

> > The Tcl/Tk wish shell (wish84.exe) does not properly start/execute under
bash. When
> > launched, the Tk canvas window appears, but the command prompt window
never opens.

> > Any ideas?
>
> Are you running bash under rxvt?
No, using the standard bash launched with cygwin.bat.

> Have you tried "wish" from a Windows console running bash?
Same behavior, wish84 seems to hang.  However, running wish84 directly from
the Windows console results in normal execution/behavior.

JEff Russell

* RE: Tcl/Tk wish shell execution problem under bash
@ 2003-09-22 20:44 cstark
From: cstark @ 2003-09-22 20:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I would like to report the same Tcl/Tk wish shell hang problem that Jeff
Russell brought up.  I followed the thread on this issue and have been left
confused as to how to solve it.

Recap: wish84 fails to bring up the command line shell while instantiating the
window frame correctly.  Running "strace -w /bin/wish84" avoids the problem
(through recourse to Win exec rather than Cygwin exec).  An error report
excerpt from strace was supplied by Jeff (11/18/2003); I have similar errors.

The problem remains on snapshot cygwin1-20030919.dll.

I need to call wish from bash or equivalent - is there a workaround or bug fix?

Colin Stark

* Tcl/Tk wish shell execution problem under bash
@ 2003-09-18  2:05 Jeff Russell
From: Jeff Russell @ 2003-09-18  2:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

The Tcl/Tk wish shell (wish84.exe) does not properly start/execute under
bash.
When launched, the Tk canvas window appears, but the command prompt window
never opens. The wish84.exe application seems to hang (an hour-glass appears
with the mouse over the Tk canvas window; a Ctrl-C from bash is ignored, but
a click on the tk-window close results in a Windows pop-up saying the
application is not responding, from which it can be "ended now").
The Tcl-only shell (tclsh) seems to execute properly.
The wish application properly executes when launched from the Windows
Start->Run menu.

Relevent packages: tcltk-20030901-1, cygwin-1.5.4-1, and bash-2.05b-15 (on
Win2k).

I'm not sure how investigate this...some things I tried:
 * recompiled Tcl/Tk from the 20030901-1 source distribution, same behavior.
(Note: a minor fix is required in the file tcl/generic/tclCmdAH.c due to a
symbol conflict with "FILE_EXISTS".)
 * recompiled Tcl/Tk from the 8.4.4 source distribution, same behavior.
(Note: per the instructions that recommend use of the mingGW stuff.)
 * tried running "dumper" on the wish84 process, and dumper itself core
dumped with a segmentation fault.
 * if I start wish84 specifying a script with the line "console show", the
console window is opened, but no command prompt appears (as if it were busy
doing something). If commands are typed into the console window, output
appears in the original bash window.

Any ideas?
JEff Russell