* orphaned child processes with rxvt
@ 2002-09-06 10:05 Matthew Dornquast
From: Matthew Dornquast @ 2002-09-06 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi Gang!

I've been living with this bug for 9 months, just upgraded and it appears to
still be there.

Background
I use windows XP and I like to use the Windows-R key to fire off various
handy remote shells.  i.e. my gw.bat file contains something like this:

start rxvt +sb -fn "fixedsys-9" -sl 5000 -geometry 120x40 -e ssh
gw.domain.com

I then hit windows-R .. type "gw" and hit return.

TADA!  I'm now ssh'd in a new window to the gateway host.  (Note:  I've
already authenticated via another method so I don't have to type password)

Here is where the bug comes in.

If I hit the "close" button in the window rather than typing "exit", rxvt
cleans up.. but there is still an "ssh" process alive and well sucking up 3
megs of ram.

I've tried various alternate command structures but it always has the same
result.  If you use the "-e" function in rxvt, and close the window, the
process you ran will most likely hang around.

I've searched the lists, I cannot find an alternate route to this solution
without incurring orphans.

(Yeah ok, if I type "exit" and hit return in the window, it will work.  But
for some reason I find myself unable to consistently do this.)

-Matthew

/**
 * Matthew Dornquast
 * Code 42, Inc.
 * Yahoo:  mdornquast
 * http://www.code42.com
 */

* Re: orphaned child processes with rxvt
@ 2002-09-06 15:36 ` Christopher Faylor
From: Christopher Faylor @ 2002-09-06 15:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Fri, Sep 06, 2002 at 04:38:08PM -0500, Steve O wrote:
>> If I hit the "close" button in the window rather than typing "exit", rxvt
>> cleans up.. but there is still an "ssh" process alive and well sucking up 3
>> megs of ram.
>
>I was looking into this last night.  The rxvt source doesn't seem
>to do any process management on exit, which says to me that
>the authors expect the child process to die when the parent
>dies.
>
>So the question is, why are rxvt spawned processes under cygwin
>detached from their parents, whereas on other systems they aren't.
>Any ideas?

In theory, child processes in a process group should be receiving a SIGHUP
on exit.  Does ssh die on a SIGHUP?

Running rxvt under strace might be instructive.

cgf

* Re: orphaned child processes with rxvt
@ 2002-09-06 14:41 Steve O
From: Steve O @ 2002-09-06 14:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> If I hit the "close" button in the window rather than typing "exit", rxvt
> cleans up.. but there is still an "ssh" process alive and well sucking up 3
> megs of ram.

I was looking into this last night.  The rxvt source doesn't seem
to do any process management on exit, which says to me that
the authors expect the child process to die when the parent
dies.

So the question is, why are rxvt spawned processes under cygwin
detached from their parents, whereas on other systems they aren't.
Any ideas?

-steve