Hi cygwin users, I have cli program that I run with mintty. It is a simple C++ program, reading from cin and outputing to cout. It is cross-compiled as a mingw program. I've been running it without problems fro over 2 years. Recently, I updated cygwin to 3.1.4-1 and noticed the pcon support. Since then, the output of my program has been messy: output lines have intermittent gaps in them. I made a simple test case that reproduces the problem, from the following simple C++ file, hello.cpp : #include using namespace std; static string Green = "\033[32m"; static string Yellow = "\033[33m"; static string Reset = "\033[0m"; int main (int pArgc, char* pArgv[]) { cout << "Hello!" << endl; string answer; do { cout << Yellow << "q to Quit, p to Print " << Reset; cin >> answer; cout << Yellow << "You answered: " << Reset << answer << endl; if (answer[0] == 'p') { for (int i = 0; i < 30; ++i) { cout << Green << i << "\tA simple line of printing in green characters." << Reset << endl; } } } while (answer[0] != 'q'); cout << "Goodbye." << endl; return 0; } Compiled with: x86_64-w64-mingw32-c++ -g hello.cpp -o hello -static-libgcc -static-libstdc++ -Wl,-Bstatic -lstdc++ -lpthread -Wl,-Bdynamic When run in mintty, it prompts you to answer q or p . q quits the program, p prints 30 times the same line of green text. With the new pcon support, often, everything is correct: 30 lines of green text are outputted correctly; but most of the time a few lines will have gaps in them or show a partial escape sequence, like this: You answered: p 0 A simple line of printing in green characters. 1 A simple line of printing in green characters. 2 A simple line of printing in green characters. 3 A simple line of printing in green characters. 4 A simple line of printing in green characters. 5 A simple line of printing in green characters. 6 A simple line of printing in green characters. 7 A simple line of printing in green characters. 8 A simple line of printing in green characters. 9 A simple line of printing in green characters. 10 A simple line of printing in green characters. 11 A simple line of printing in green characters. 12 A simple line of printing in green characters. 13 A simple line of printing in green characters. 14 A simple line of printing in green characters. 15 A simple line of printing in green characters. 16 A simple line of printing in green characters. 17 A simple line of printing in green characters. 18 A simple line of printing in green characters. 19 A simple line of printing in green characters. 20 A simple line of printing in green characters. 21 A simple line of printing in green characters. 22 A simple line of printing in green characters. 23 A simple line of printing in green characters. 24 A simple line of printing in green characters. 25 A simple line of printing in green characters. 26 A simple line of printing in green characters. 27 A simple line of printing in green characters. 28 A simple line of printing in green characters. [32m29 A simple line of printing in green characters. q to Quit, p to Print p You answered: p 0 A simple line of printing in green characters. 1 A simple line of printing in green characters. 2 A simple line of printing in green characters. 3 A simple line of printing in green characters. 4 A simple line of printing in green characters. 5 A simple line of printing in green characters. 6 A simple line of printing in green characters. 7 A simple line of printing in green characters. 8 A simple line of printing in green characters. 9 A simple line of printing in green characters. 10 A simple line of printing in green characters. 11 A simple line of printing in green characters. 12 A simple line of printing in green characters. 13 A simple line of printing in green characters. 14 A simple line of printing in green characters. 15 A simple line of printing in green characters. 16 A simple line of printing in green characters. 17 A simple line of printing in green characters. 18 A simple line of printing in green characters. 19 A simple line of printing in green characters. 20 A simple line of printing in green characters. 21 A simple line of printing in green characters. 22 A simple line of printing in green characters. 23 A simple line of printing in green characters. 24 A simple line of printing in green characters. 25 A simple line of printing in green characters. 26 A simple line of printing in green characters. 27 A simple line of printing in green characters. 28 A simple line of printing in green characters. 29 A simple line of printing in green characters. q to Quit, p to Print q If I start mintty with CYGWIN=disable_pcon and run the hello program in it, everything is fine and the program always outputs correctly, as it did before I updated cygwin. CYGWIN=disable_pcon /usr/bin/mintty & OK, no big deal then, I'll make a small bash script to automate this: hellobash #/bin/bash CYGWIN=disable_pcon /usr/bin/mintty absolutePath/hello.exe & This is where it gets weird. Running ./hellobash sometimes gets the hello program run correctly. It accepts input and displays output as expected. But in about 1 in 5 runs, it will not accept input. A prompt is displayed, but no cursor is shown and typing produces nothing. ^C does not stop the program. Weirder: in about 1 in 20 to 30 runs, it's the converse: it will be stuck in a loop as if input was continuously feed to it, even if you don't type anything. Output of cygcheck -c is attached. Regards, - André Bleau