I am trying to build and debug a linux application on a Windows 10 machine. I have installed Cygwin64 with GDB and the GCC compliers. When I open up a Cygwin64 terminal and type "gcc -version" or "g++ --version" I get the normal information about those packages. However, when I type in "gdb -version" it print a blank line and I am back at the shell prompt. No text is printed. If I type in "gdb" or "gdb hello.exe", I never get a "(gdb)" prompt. The cursor just sits there and there is no response. I have waited for many minutes with no response. I have to 'Ctrl-Z' to get back the shell prompt. Surely there is a simple solution to this problem but I can't find it anywhere.