* Re: Updated X11R6.4 client libs for B20
       [not found] <8FCE8BE75907D211AB9E00A0C9422FD102CC65@srv-exl.bouw.tno.nl>
@ 1999-02-11 14:56 ` Arlindo da Silva
       [not found]   ` < 36C35FD2.A5B6CBE9@alum.mit.edu >
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1999-02-11 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beinum van, Gerlach, cygwin

>  Thanks for all the work you did. I have one question: I use xterm in
> combination with an Exceed X server. Is it possible to let resize work?
>
>  If I try to run resize, it times out. Have you any idea ?

I spent some time on it but could never figure out why xterm does
not respond to resizing requests. Since I do not need Tektronix
emulation I ended up switching to rxvt which is a pretty good
xterm replacement. Maybe someone more knowledgeable than I has an
explanation/fix for this behavior. I have built xterm with
curses/termcap and get the same problem.

But even with rxvt, there is a trick there too. You must resize your
window with the mouse in order for applications such as less, vi, etc
to use more than 25 lines.

   Arlindo.

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva@alum.mit.edu

* RE: Updated X11R6.4 client libs for B20
       [not found]   ` < 36C35FD2.A5B6CBE9@alum.mit.edu >
@ 1999-02-13  9:36     ` Rick Rankin
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: Rick Rankin @ 1999-02-13  9:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arlindo da Silva, Beinum van, Gerlach, cygwin

I have a patch for rxvt that obviates the need to resize the the window on
startup to get it to recognize more than 25 lines. I can dig it up and post
it if anyone's interested.

Rick
--
Rick Rankin
rrankin@primenet.com

@ 1999-02-13 16:21       ` Corinna Vinschen
       [not found]       ` < NCBBLBLBNJPLCPKCBIIIOEJOCBAA.rrankin@primenet.com >
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-02-13 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Rankin, cygwin

Rick Rankin wrote:

> I have a patch for rxvt that obviates the need to resize the the window on
> startup to get it to recognize more than 25 lines. I can dig it up and post
> it if anyone's interested.

I'm interested.

Corinna

@ 1999-02-14  4:59         ` Dr. Volker Zell
       [not found]           ` < 6647-Sun14Feb1999140112+0100-vzell@de.oracle.com >
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 1999-02-14  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrankin; +Cc: dasilva, G.vanBeinum, cygwin

    >> I have a patch for rxvt that obviates the need to resize the
    >> the window on startup to get it to recognize more than 25
    >> lines. I can dig it up and post it if anyone's interested.

Yes please do this ...
By the way which version are you using. The latest release is on

  http://babayaga.math.fu-berlin.de/~rxvt/

it's

  rxvt-2.6.PRE2

and it has already cygwin specific #ifdef's in the source. It work's
ok for me except for the resizing stuff.

Ciao
  Volker

   "Is a dream a lie if it don't come true or is it something worse ..."

                                                 Dr. Volker Zell
      __ /  _  /  __  / ___/  /    ___/          -- Senior Dozent --
     /  /  /__/  /_  / /     /    __/            Oracle Germany
   ____/__/ _|__/ __/____/ ____/____/            Paul-Thomas-Str.58
                                                 D-40599 D|sseldorf
   e-Mail: mailto:vzell@de.oracle.com
   WWW:    http://trgsund4.de.oracle.com/
   Tel:    (+49) 211-74839-414
   Fax:    (+49) 211-74839-44

The statements and opinions expressed here are my own and do not necessarily
represent those of Oracle Corporation.

* linux cross compiling again
       [not found]           ` < 6647-Sun14Feb1999140112+0100-vzell@de.oracle.com >
@ 1999-02-14  5:10             ` Laszlo Vecsey
       [not found]               ` < Pine.LNX.4.05.9902140807310.31656-100000@micro.internexus.net >
From: Laszlo Vecsey @ 1999-02-14  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I have a glibc 2.1 based egcs-1.1.1 system, that I'm trying to set up a
mingw32 cross compiler for, and I've been running into various problems. I
know about the well written posts about this already in the mail archives,
but those were with previous versions; can anyone confirm they have a
working setup with the latest releases?

-L.

* Re: linux cross compiling again
       [not found]               ` < Pine.LNX.4.05.9902140807310.31656-100000@micro.internexus.net >
@ 1999-02-14 13:47                 ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-14 13:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laszlo Vecsey; +Cc: cygwin

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Laszlo Vecsey wrote:

> I have a glibc 2.1 based egcs-1.1.1 system, that I'm trying to set up a
> mingw32 cross compiler for, and I've been running into various problems. I
> know about the well written posts about this already in the mail archives,
> but those were with previous versions; can anyone confirm they have a
> working setup with the latest releases?

The instructions have not changed, since the basic framework is exactly
the same. What problems are you having??

Here's my quick 1st cut:

1. Pick a prefix, say /usr/local/cross-tools (I'll call this $prefix
   from now on).
2. Populate $prefix/i386-mingw32/{lib,include} with mingw + windows32api
   headers and import libraries.
3. Get and install binutils. If you don't have access to Cygwin b20.1
   sources (binutils 2.9.4), use the standard binutils-2.9.1, which mostly
   works. It is missing a few pieces however, such as enhancements to
   dlltool, dllwrap, etc.

   $ cd binutils && mkdir obj && cd obj
   $ ../configure --target=i386-mingw32 --prefix=/usr/local/cross-tools
   $ make
   $ make install

4. Get egcs-1.1.1, patch it with my changes from
   ftp://ftp.xraylith.wisc.edu/pub/khan/gnu-win32/mingw32/egcs-1.1.1/patches/
   and build/install:

  $ cd egcs-1.1.1 && mkdir obj && cd obj
  $ ../configure --target=i386-mingw32 --prefix=/usr/local/cross-tools
  $ (cd gcc;  make installdirs)
  [ the above step is needed due to relative path lookup for includes/libs ]
  $ make
  $ make install

Done.

If you already have Cygwin b20.1 sources, and can live with egcs-1.1,
you're all set:

  $ cd cygwin-b20.1 && mkdir obj && cd obj
  $ ../configure --prefix=/usr/local/cross-tools --target=i386-mingw32
  $ make
  $ make install

Regards,
Mumit

* Re: linux cross compiling again
@ 1999-02-28 23:02                   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Laszlo Vecsey; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02               ` Laszlo Vecsey
From: Laszlo Vecsey @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02       ` Rick Rankin
From: Rick Rankin @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arlindo da Silva, Beinum van, Gerlach, cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02           ` Dr. Volker Zell
From: Dr. Volker Zell @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: rrankin; +Cc: dasilva, G.vanBeinum, cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02   ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Beinum van, Gerlach, cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 23:02         ` Corinna Vinschen
From: Corinna Vinschen @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Rick Rankin, cygwin

Rick Rankin wrote:

> I have a patch for rxvt that obviates the need to resize the the window on
> startup to get it to recognize more than 25 lines. I can dig it up and post
> it if anyone's interested.

I'm interested.

Corinna

* Re: Updated X11R6.4 client libs for B20
@ 1999-02-28 23:02   ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Billinghurst, David (RTD), cygwin

"Billinghurst, David (RTD)" wrote:

> I have downloaded the X11R6.4 libraries from :
> < http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/ >
> When I try to use them  - for example running xclock - I get an error
> "The procedure entry point dll_noncygwin_dllcrt0 could not be
> located in dynamic link library cygwin1.dll"
>
> PC is NT4 SP4/cygwinb20.1 using Hummingbird Exceed as X server.

I think Mumit is probably correct. I have a clean install [1] of 20.1,
with X11R6.4 from
< http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/ >, and xclock
works fine.

--Chuck

[1] The silver lining of a recent hard drive crash^H^H^H cloud.

From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: cygwin

Stipe Tolj wrote:

> >   I finally got around to update my X11 client/lib clients for B20.
> > The URL is:
> >
> >     http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/
>
> sorry, but the URL seems not to be valid. Instead I found your X11R6.4
> port within the old X11R6.3 dir?!
>
> Neither it is available at Michael Hirmlke's mirror ftp site.

Sorry about that, the correct URL is

    http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/X11R6.4/

I have written to the maintainers of the mirror sites, it may take
a couple of days for these to be updated.

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva@gsfc.nasa.gov

From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Noer, cygwin

Geoffrey Noer wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 1999, Arlindo da Silva wrote:
> >
> >   I finally got around to update my X11 client/lib clients for B20.
> > The URL is:
> >
> >     http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/
>
> I updated the link but the directory is still X11R6.3.  Let me know
> when you've moved the folder and I'll update the link again.

Sorry about that. The correct URL is actually:

     http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/X11R6.4/

Although I made symlinks to the old X11R6.3 directory just in case
people land there (versions of X11R6.3 with B18/B19 can be obtained
from this page as well).

  Cheers!

     Arlindo.

--
Arlindo da Silva
dasilva@gsfc.nasa.gov

* RE: Updated X11R6.4 client libs for B20
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Billinghurst, David (RTD)
From: Billinghurst, David (RTD) @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

That was it.  It was the one PC I hadn't upgraded to 20.1

@ 1999-02-28 23:02     ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Billinghurst, David (RTD); +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

       [not found] ` < A9E96A79C068D211A6A90000C07BDF0D036557@CRTSMAIL >
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Billinghurst, David (RTD)
From: Billinghurst, David (RTD) @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'; +Cc: 'dasilva@alum.mit.edu'

I have downloaded the X11R6.4 libraries from :
< http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/ >
When I try to use them  - for example running xclock - I get an error
"The procedure entry point dll_noncygwin_dllcrt0 could not be
located in dynamic link library cygwin1.dll"

PC is NT4 SP4/cygwinb20.1 using Hummingbird Exceed as X server.

(Mr) David Billinghurst
Comalco Research Centre
PO Box 316, Thomastown, Vic, Australia, 3074
Phone:	+61 3 9469 0642
FAX:	+61 3 9462 2700
Email:	David.Billinghurst@riotinto.com.au

* Updated X11R6.4 client libs for B20
       [not found] ` <19990210200835.B787@cygnus.com>
@ 1999-02-28 23:02 ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hi,

  I finally got around to update my X11 client/lib clients for B20.
The URL is:

    http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/

This distribution contains:

    Pre-compiled libraries, e.g., libX11.a, libX11.dll, LibXm.a,
libXaw.a,         libsx.a, libXpm.a, etc.
    Lesstif version 0.87 (the GNU version of Motif)
    X clients such as xmkmf, imake, bitmap, xclock, xterm, rxvt, etc.
    Window managers: twm, mwm, fvwm2
    Documentation: X11R6, Lesstif and Fvwm manual pages in HTML
    Sample code to test your installation

Cygnus Webmaster: could you please update your "Related Sites" page?
The item is

o Prebuilt X client libs for NT (Cygwin b19) including excellent setup
instructions.

(note change in URL from X11R6.3 to X11R6.4, and B20 update).

   Enjoy!

     Arlindo.

* Re: Updated X11R6.4 client libs for B20
@ 1999-02-28 23:02   ` Stipe Tolj
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-02-28 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arlindo da Silva; +Cc: cygwin

>   I finally got around to update my X11 client/lib clients for B20.
> The URL is:
>
>     http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/

sorry, but the URL seems not to be valid. Instead I found your X11R6.4
port within the old X11R6.3 dir?!

Neither it is available at Michael Hirmlke's mirror ftp site.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

* RE: Updated X11R6.4 client libs for B20
@ 1999-02-28 22:27 Billinghurst, David (RTD)
From: Billinghurst, David (RTD) @ 1999-02-28 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-02-28 22:07 ` Charles Wilson
From: Charles Wilson @ 1999-02-28 22:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Billinghurst, David (RTD), cygwin

@ 1999-02-28 21:40   ` Mumit Khan
From: Mumit Khan @ 1999-02-28 21:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Billinghurst, David (RTD); +Cc: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'

@ 1999-02-28 21:38 Billinghurst, David (RTD)
From: Billinghurst, David (RTD) @ 1999-02-28 21:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: 'cygwin@sourceware.cygnus.com'; +Cc: 'dasilva@alum.mit.edu'

@ 1999-02-11 15:08   ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1999-02-11 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stipe Tolj; +Cc: cygwin

@ 1999-02-11 14:38   ` Arlindo da Silva
From: Arlindo da Silva @ 1999-02-11 14:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Geoffrey Noer, cygwin

@ 1999-02-11  6:19 ` Stipe Tolj
       [not found] ` <19990210200835.B787@cygnus.com>
From: Stipe Tolj @ 1999-02-11  6:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Arlindo da Silva; +Cc: cygwin

>   I finally got around to update my X11 client/lib clients for B20.
> The URL is:
>
>     http://dao.gsfc.nasa.gov/software/grads/win32/X11R6.4/

sorry, but the URL seems not to be valid. Instead I found your X11R6.4
port within the old X11R6.3 dir?!

Neither it is available at Michael Hirmlke's mirror ftp site.

Regards,
Stipe

--
Stipe Tolj <tolj@uni-duesseldorf.de>

Cygwin Porting Project -- "We build UNIX on top of Windows"
http://www.student.uni-koeln.de/cygwin/

Department of Economical Computer Science
University of Cologne, Germany

* Updated X11R6.4 client libs for B20
@ 1999-02-10 19:24 Arlindo da Silva
                   ` (2 more replies)