* Re: fork_copy error
@ 2000-03-21  5:13 Earnie Boyd
From: Earnie Boyd @ 2000-03-21  5:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Larry Rau, cygwin

--- Larry Rau <larry@savaJe.com> wrote:
> On win98 se2 with cygwin version:
> BASH.EXE-2.02$ uname -a
> CYGWIN_98-4.10 POWERPLAY 1.1.0(0.18/3/2) 2000-03-20 00:14:57 i586 unknown
>
> I get the following error during a large make (around 5k files
> don't know where it fails.. bunch of javac launches)
>
> 0 [main] MAKE 1003 fork_copy: user/cygwin data pass 2 failed, 0x4580000..0
> x47E5000, done 0, Win32 error 8
> make: vfork: No more processes
>
> Once this occurs if I re-run the make it will process some more
> files and then give the same error. Eventually make will just fail
> to run anymore compiles (in this case always javac).  The only way
> to cure it is to reboot win98.  Exiting all bash shell's is not
> enough.  The rest of win98 appears to function ok (well normal) as
> far as I can tell.
>
> Does anyone else experience this?  On smaller makes running gcc I
> have not had a problem.

It's happened in the past.  Have you tried the using the -j switch for make to
give it the maximum number of jobs it can start?  Don't know if it will help.

> Is Win2k much more stable for using cygwin?  I've been thinking of
> upgrading as I think my main tools will run on win2k: gcc,cygwin,wincvs.

I'm using WinNT and Win2k is it's replacement.  It's been reported stable for
cygwin on this list.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: < mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com >
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__
Cygwin Newbies: < http://www.freeyellow.com/members5/gw32/index.html >
           __Minimalist GNU for Windows__
  Mingw32 List: < http://www.egroups.com/group/mingw32/ >
    Mingw Home: < http://www.mingw.org/ >

* Re: fork_copy error
@ 2000-03-21  8:41 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-03-21  8:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 05:13:29AM -0800, Earnie Boyd wrote:
>It's happened in the past.  Have you tried the using the -j switch for make to
>give it the maximum number of jobs it can start?  Don't know if it will help.

Yow.  Don't do this.  You'll actually completely swamp your machine if you
try.

cgf

* RE: fork_copy error
@ 2000-03-21 14:11 ` Larry Rau
From: Larry Rau @ 2000-03-21 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

> It's happened in the past.  Have you tried the using the -j
> switch for make to
> give it the maximum number of jobs it can start?  Don't know if
> it will help.

I tried --jobs=1; but it fails.

It is bad enough that this failure occurs; what is worse is you
MUST REBOOT the machine in order to correct it.  I have my own
couple of 100k lines of code to manage so I haven't looked at cygwin.
What is it doing at the system level to corrupt the environment.  I
do not notice any other windows program having problems but restarting
cygwin does not clear the problem....stuck dll?  something is still
consuming resources.  I have not spent much time trying to diagnose the
problem because I need to get my work done so rebooting is faster.

Can someone explain the past "make/fork" problem that was supposedly fixed?

> I'm using WinNT and Win2k is it's replacement.  It's been
> reported stable for
> cygwin on this list.

perhaps I'll upgrade to win2k.

[thanks for those who have responded...or who will respond:)]
........larry

* fork_copy error
@ 2000-03-20 23:13 Larry Rau