* Getting X11 to run
@ 2000-02-09 19:12 Matthew Persico
From: Matthew Persico @ 2000-02-09 19:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

I downloaded

cygwin-xfree-4.0-cygwin-v-1.tar.bz2
cygwin-xfree-x11r6.4-cygwin-B20.1.tar.bz2
extra-cygwin-xfree.tar.bz2

I expanded them all and was left with directories:
X11R6
X11R6.4
extra

Since X11R6 came from the v-1 archive and I am running the CD (1.0)
version of Cygwin, I moved X11r6 to under contrib. I also moved the
contents of extra/etc to /etc (but no the passwd and termcap files, I
already had those)
I then went to the bin of the X11R6 directory and tried startx with
these results:

xinit not found

xinit lives in /contrib/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit

Now, I'm very rust on X11 setup - the last time I ever did it was under
Linux a year ago. What else do I have to do to get X11 fired up under
Cygwin? Do I need LessTiff? What obvious piece am I missing?

Thanks,

Matthew Persico

* Re: Getting X11 to run
@ 2000-02-09 19:17 ` Chris Faylor
From: Chris Faylor @ 2000-02-09 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Persico; +Cc: cygwin

There is a mailing list devoted to discussing the cygwin-xfree project.
Check out the project web page at:

http;//sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/xfree/

This is off-topic for this mailing list.

cgf

@ 2000-02-09 19:29   ` Matthew Persico
From: Matthew Persico @ 2000-02-09 19:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Chris Faylor wrote:

> There is a mailing list devoted to discussing the cygwin-xfree project.
> Check out the project web page at:
>
> http;//sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/xfree/

AAAAAGH! Sorry. Hit the wrong address in the address book!

* RE: Getting X11 to run
@ 2000-02-10 10:44 ` Suhaib Siddiqi
From: Suhaib Siddiqi @ 2000-02-10 10:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Matthew Persico, cygwin

BTW.  The files you downloaded contains no Xserver.  There is a
mailing list for Cygwin-X, as Chris told you.
Our Alpha version fo X-server are in pre-alpha tar ball and in XVNC.
If you check cygwin-xfree mail archive you will find the messages
about it.
The URL for it is http://sourceware.cygnus.com/cygwin/xfree .

Also, I received DirectX server code from Karra today.  Many thanks
to him. I will be posting a newer X-server with couple of days.  BUT
you need to subscribe to cygwin-xfree list.

Due to huge amount of mail I get from several mailing list, I
switched to cygwin-digest only.  If you address your questions to
cygwin-xfree
list you will get prompt reply.

Suhaib