* Download
@ 2001-09-20 12:53 Willy Inchaustti
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Willy Inchaustti @ 2001-09-20 12:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

Hello, I am Willy Inchaustti from Paraguay. I want to evaluate the
Cygwin.
Excuse me for my bad english.

There is some link to download the complete Cygwin in a only file? For
example, the complete Cygwin in cygwin-i386.tar.gz?
I saw the complete Cygwin in
http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/
in files separated and therefore there I will need to download
separatedly any sub-file. I don't want to install from Internet,
because my computer connect to Internet via dial-up and that is very
expensive here.

Thank You very much.

*******************************
 Ing. Willy Inchaustti

 winchaus@yahoo.com
 winchaus@hotmail.com
********************************

=====
-----------------------------------
  Lic. Wilfrido F. Inchaustti M.

* Re: Download
@ 2001-09-20 13:07 ` Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)
From: Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc) @ 2001-09-20 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Inchaustti, cygwin

Check out http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html for some information
here.  Cygwin is installed by setup.exe which you can start by going to
www.cygwin.com and clicking on "Install Cygwin Now".  Other options
are detailed at http://www.cygwin.com/download.html .  setup.exe will
allow you to select the packages you wish to download and install
them.  If you don't know what you need, you really have to install
all packages to get a valid installation.  If you know which packages
rely on which others, you can pick-and-choose, although the list
can't support questions about problems with such installations.
There is no all-in-one file to download.  There is no reason to
believe it's quicker to download some single large file than multiple
smaller ones though.

At 03:53 PM 9/20/2001, Willy Inchaustti wrote:
>Hello, I am Willy Inchaustti from Paraguay. I want to evaluate the
>Cygwin.
>Excuse me for my bad english.
>
>There is some link to download the complete Cygwin in a only file? For
>example, the complete Cygwin in cygwin-i386.tar.gz?
>I saw the complete Cygwin in
> http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/
>in files separated and therefore there I will need to download
>separatedly any sub-file. I don't want to install from Internet,
>because my computer connect to Internet via dial-up and that is very
>expensive here.
>
>Thank You very much.
>
>*******************************
>  Ing. Willy Inchaustti
>
>  winchaus@yahoo.com
>  winchaus@hotmail.com
>********************************
>
>=====
>-----------------------------------
>   Lic. Wilfrido F. Inchaustti M.

* Re: Download
@ 2001-09-20 13:29   ` Peter Buckley
From: Peter Buckley @ 2001-09-20 13:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Inchaustti; +Cc: cygwin

There is no "all-in-one file" to download, but when you
download the file "setup.exe", you can choose the option
to "download from internet" and then select many files
that you wish to download. This allows you to select
many files and download them all at once- this would
allow you to download many files and leave your computer
unattended, perhaps late at night when dial-up is less
expensive.

After you have downloaded from the internet, you can choose
the option to "install from local directory" and there is
no need to stay connected to the internet.

Regards,
Peter

"Larry Hall (RFK Partners, Inc)" wrote:

> Check out http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html for some information
> here.  Cygwin is installed by setup.exe which you can start by going to
> www.cygwin.com and clicking on "Install Cygwin Now".  Other options
> are detailed at http://www.cygwin.com/download.html .  setup.exe will
> allow you to select the packages you wish to download and install
> them.  If you don't know what you need, you really have to install
> all packages to get a valid installation.  If you know which packages
> rely on which others, you can pick-and-choose, although the list
> can't support questions about problems with such installations.
> There is no all-in-one file to download.  There is no reason to
> believe it's quicker to download some single large file than multiple
> smaller ones though.
>
> Larry Hall                              lhall@rfk.com
> RFK Partners, Inc.                      http://www.rfk.com
> 118 Washington Street                   (508) 893-9779 - RFK Office
> Holliston, MA 01746                     (508) 893-9889 - FAX
>
> At 03:53 PM 9/20/2001, Willy Inchaustti wrote:
> >Hello, I am Willy Inchaustti from Paraguay. I want to evaluate the
> >Cygwin.
> >Excuse me for my bad english.
> >
> >There is some link to download the complete Cygwin in a only file? For
> >example, the complete Cygwin in cygwin-i386.tar.gz?
> >I saw the complete Cygwin in
> > http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/
> >in files separated and therefore there I will need to download
> >separatedly any sub-file. I don't want to install from Internet,
> >because my computer connect to Internet via dial-up and that is very
> >expensive here.
> >
> >Thank You very much.
> >
> >*******************************
> >  Ing. Willy Inchaustti
> >
> >  winchaus@yahoo.com
> >  winchaus@hotmail.com
> >********************************
> >
> >=====
> >-----------------------------------
> >   Lic. Wilfrido F. Inchaustti M.

* Re: Download
@ 2001-09-20 14:27 ` Gerrit P. Haase
From: Gerrit P. Haase @ 2001-09-20 14:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Inchaustti, cygwin

Willy Inchaustti schrieb am 2001-09-20, 14:53:

>Hello, I am Willy Inchaustti from Paraguay. I want to evaluate the
>Cygwin.
>Excuse me for my bad english.
>
>There is some link to download the complete Cygwin in a only file? For
>example, the complete Cygwin in cygwin-i386.tar.gz?
>I saw the complete Cygwin in
> http://programming.ccp14.ac.uk/ftp-mirror/programming/cygwin/pub/cygwin/
>in files separated and therefore there I will need to download
>separatedly any sub-file. I don't want to install from Internet,
>because my computer connect to Internet via dial-up and that is very
>expensive here.

No, the latest net-release is not available in one package.
What you have found is probably a very old release.
Don't fetch it, fetch the latest, biggest, best ever:)
http://www.cygwin.com/setup.exe

Choose 'download from Internet' and install from your local
repository.

If you just load down the binaries with all packages, that are
about 66 MB today, so I think it is not that big.

Also it is possible to exclude some packages which are of less use
if you don't fetch other tarballs like tetex package. (texmf is >20MB)

Also not needed to run cygwin itself is postgresql, python, perl, irc,
ghostscript, squid, tcsh, which are the big contrib packages
(20MB together).

So at the end you need to load down at least 46 MB.
That lasts some hours with a slower connection, but if I pay this in
Germany, it will cost about $5, not that much.

Gerrit

--
=^..^=

* RE: Download
@ 2001-09-21  4:59 ` Ronald Landheer
From: Ronald Landheer @ 2001-09-21  4:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Willy Inchaustti, cygwin

Hello Willy,

You've already had quite a few complete answers on this, but here's a
suggestion you might try: If you have a faster connection available to
you somewhere (like a university or work) go to an FTP site near you
that has Cygwin and download setup.*, the entire latest and contrib tree
(still no all-in-one file, but OK). Put it on a CD (or a lot of
floppies) and take it home with you (I assume the Windoze box you want
to "evaluate" Cygwin on is at home). There, run setup after you've set
up the same tree as you found on the FTP site, and have it install from
a local directory. Saves you a lot of download time (because Cygwin is
big).
Make sure wherever you do this they have enough bandwidth, though: you
don't want others to have to pay for your Cygwin evaluations..

Greetz!

Ronald

* Re: download
@ 2001-06-29  7:07 ` Michael A. Chase
From: Michael A. Chase @ 2001-06-29  7:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Vrijlal M S, cygwin

It is obsolete and shouldn't be available anywhere.  Why do you need it?  If
the latest version of Cygwin available from http://cygwin.com/ doesn't do
what you need, maybe it can be improved.
--
Mac :})
> where i can download cygwin bete19 version?
> i need it very urgent.

* download
@ 2001-06-29  6:06 Vrijlal M S
From: Vrijlal M S @ 2001-06-29  6:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cygwin

hi

where i can download cygwin bete19 version?
i need it very urgent.

cheers.
Vrijlal.